my sister is nuts!

T

tsum

ok guys so my sister is writing a report for high school on how hunting is a sport and why she doesn't like it... my whole family hunts except for her.. im pretty dang sure she was dropped 1 too many times when she was a baby after reading this.. let me know what you guys think.

Hunting for Sport

Picture a quite forest. Its early in the fall season and the leaves are just beginning to turn colors. Vibrant oranges, reds, and yellows seem to make the trees come to life as the sun gently hits them. Near by, a flowing stream trickles down the mountain. This makes the mountain seem even more peaceful with it's lullaby-like sounds. The forest lullaby catches the sweet melody of birds singing and wind blowing through the leaves. In harmony, all these magical sounds join together to create the beautiful soundtrack of nature. It is hard to imagine a more wonderful day. You find yourself in almost a dream like state. It seems that nothing can shatter this perfect world. You are safe and warm in your forest home.
All of the sudden an unfamiliar sound startles you. You hear leaves crunching under what sounds like a heavy rock. Your heart stops, you know something is wrong. You feel fear start to creep within you. The sense of panic has you frozen in place. You immediately become alert, but too late. You?re on the ground. A foreign object has struck you. You helplessly lie there, still trying to figure out what just happened. All you know is that you are in severe pain with nothing to do about it but wait for death to give you relief. A few long, excruciating minutes pass and finally you're dead.
There was no warning. No way for you to know what was happening. You didn't even have a way to protect yourself at all. Really, you had absolutely no chance. At this point your probably thinking what kind of monster would do something like this. What on earth did you ever do to them? The answer is nothing, this is just for pure enjoyment, nothing against you. Actually, you are even glorified in this situation. Its almost an honor to die in this way. It brings a lot of people so much joy. In fact, this is considered a sport. Thats right, a very popular sport commonly known as hunting.
However, I completely disagree with this. Hunting is not a sport. Period. There is no real skill involved, it is completely unfair for the animals being hunting, and it is cruel. When I think of the words ?no skill, unfair, and cruel?, I don't usually associate it with a sport. According to PETA, ?sports involve competition between two consenting parties and the mediation of a referee. And no sport ends with the deliberate death of one unwilling participant? (PETA).
I agree with this statement fully. PETA also gives more details about hunting and it's cruelty. In PETA?s article entitled, ?Hunting,? they provide readers with true information about the harmful effects of hunting and how cruel it can be. While reading this article I learned that the animals that are hunting do not die instantly most of the time. In fact they suffer a lot before finally dying after being shot by a hunter. Apparently, not all hunters are as accurate and talented shooters as they think they are (PETA). PETA writes that, ?a British study of deer hunting found that 11 percent of deer killed by hunters died only after being shot two or more times and that some wounded deer suffered for more than 15 minutes before dying? (PETA). In my opinion, that is most definately considered animal cruelty.
Also, when an animal does die, it can effect the entire family unit that the animal used to belong to. Some animals that are hunted, such as wolves, mate for life. When their partner dies they are devastated. Killing just one animal doesn't effect only that animal, but the others who are associated with it (PETA).
One of my most favorite thing about hunters is how much love and respect they have for the outdoors. They love the feeling of the forest. They feel so at one with nature and all its glories. They even love the animals. They think the animals found in nature have indescribable beauty. They are so beautiful that they just have to hang them on the wall. I guess this would make perfect sense. That is, to a blood thirsty hunter who won't settle for letting nature be beautiful in, well, nature. If the animal was left in nature, they wouldn't be able to enjoy it's beauty all the time. Although they may want to deny it, a hunter is human, they will eventually get tired and need to go home. This means saying goodbye to the lovely animals until the next hunt, or nature outing. But what hunter, a person who is so in love with nature, would settle for this? Saying goodbye and see you next time to this pure happiness? No, they take it a step further and mount nature on their wall. Problem solved.
I found an article form a hunter called DuckBuckGoose who illustrates this idea wonderfully. DuckBuckGoose is all about the outdoors. In fact, they are his fondest childhood memory. He even goes as far to admit that he has an obsession with hunting. Perfectly normal. DuckBuckGoose wishes that he could live somewhere that he could hunt all the time. This is a problem, because he currently lives in the city. He states that, ?My preference would be to have a small farm in the country with a freestanding workshop, a pond full of bass, a clear running creek and plenty of food and cover to hold a healthy deer herd? (DuckBuckGoose). Of course, you want a healthy herd. Killing an unhealthy herd would just be plain ridiculous and boring.
DuckBuckGoose goes on to tell the reader of his many, and I mean many, reasons why he adores hunting so much. One of my favorite reasons for his obsession is, ? I love the way hunting gives me time to pray, a real sense of connection to the outdoors, and how it strengthens my faith in God? (DuckBuckGoose). As much as I am happy that his faith is strengthened, its hard to believe that taking a life, even that of animals, for the fun of it could bring anyone closer to God.
A popular argument among hunters is that God put animals on this earth for us to live, and to enjoy them. I agree with this. Animals are for us as humans to enjoy. However, I doubt that God put animals on this earth to be unfairly hunted and to suffer the way that most hunters make them suffer. I understand that it is necessary to hunt in order to obtain food in some cases. I believe that if some likes to hunt on occasion, and what he kills he actually eats, its alright. The problem is, most hunters I know are just happy with the occasional hunt. Hunting is on their minds 24/7. They will hunt anything and everything that has a heartbeat. And for what? The intense joy of stopping that heartbeat? Of knowing that they had power over something? To know that they are the dominate species and can kill anything they wish just to kill it? This sounds a little power hungry to me.
Avid hunters everywhere would of course disagree and argue that they killed those deer, or whatever animal that's on their hunting agenda that day, fair and square. That they are the all powerful hunter, who took down their unsuspecting pray. Congratulations hunters! You have just killed a helpless, defenseless animal in their own home environment. Most likely in front of their offspring. But the glory can't possibly all go to you. No, you did not accomplish this victory alone. You had help. Lots and lots of help. From you animal calls, to your spotting scope, to your trees stands which give you the luxury of being high above the animal without making a sound you have managed to kill your prey. Of course, none of this extra help deteriorates your mighty hunter skills.
Actually, it does. Anyone, even if they never even heard of hunting before could probably have a very successful hunt with all the equipment that is provided for them. Too bad there is not as much equipment provided for the animals involved. If there were, this ?sport? might actually be considered a little more fair. However, there isn't anyway for the animals being hunted to have any chance of escaping with their lives.
The best chance for these animals is to just pray that whoever is hunting them that day is absolutely terrible at shooting. But even then, it is almost impossible for a hunter to miss if he has the right gear. Gear for hunters includes a wide range of objects promising to ensure a hunter?s success. After all, if your not actually killing anything when you go hunting, then whats the point? Oh, but the hunters really do just enjoy the nature too, really.
One of the most commonly used objects for a hunter is called a decoy. A decoy is a fake version of animal that is being hunted. So, if a hunter is really wanting to shoot a duck, but there is no ducks in the pond he is at, all he has to do is float his decoy out to the middle of the pond. This sends a message to all surrounding ducks that the cost is clear. They feel a sense of security seeing that one of their own is out peacefully floating on the pond. Slowly ducks start to flitter in to accompany their friend. This sense of security is short lived when the shot is finally fired and one of the ducks is dead floating in the water. This would be an incredible traumatic thing for the other ducks to witness as they fly out of the pond as fast as they can in a shocked state, not to mention the duck that was hit, who is most likely still having a long and painful death from the bullet that didn't quite kill it right away.
But never mind that, glorious hunter. Feel free to let your victory give you that sense of complete joy and overwhelming power over a helpless thing. That, after all is the way of nature. I mean, didn't the hunters of old do the same thing? Well, I honestly doubt the hunters of old used decoys to trick their prey. And even if they did, I doubt they were doing it for the thrill of the kill. They were hunting for survival. Sadly, that is not the case with most hunters today. They hunt for the fun of it. Most of them don't even like the meat they are hunting. They will kill their deer, celebrate their well deserved victory with their buddies, then go for a hamburger after. Oh, but don't worry, the dear isn't completely waisted. As long as it has big antlers, the deer will be mounted proudly above the hunters fire place.
Personally, knowing that the hunter doesn't let those antlers, a sign of true dominance, go to waste, doesn't really make me feel any better.

Wow! First of all, your sister BLOWS as a writer. What is she 6 years old? There are so many false statements that she made that it cannot be taken literally. For example, in the beginning of her story, the deer is hit unexpectedly with no warning whatsoever right? That is complete BS because a hunter like Stinkystomper would have shot at least 10 times before hitting the deer, providing plenty of opportunity for the deer to flee the county. What a completely compassionate hunter he is to fire his gun repeatedly to warn the deer of his presence.

There are many other examples I could give to discredit your sister's arguments but football is starting and I don't give a crap anyway. You should do us all a favor and slap the stupid out of her QUICK!

Are you sure she is your sister? I have a couple of cousins who grew up with their Dad and younger brother hunting, but they were never this vocal about it. She already dropped the 4 letter word of PETA, so she is already getting information from a skewed source; which sounds to me like she brought hook, line, and sinker. So there is no way you will ever get her to see this issue from a point of view of wildlife conservation, habitat improvement, etc. so don't waste your breath trying to prove her wrong. Sorry to hear about this man, if you want to keep the peace in the house just don't being up the subject of hunting or what happens to be on the menu for dinner.
WVBOWAK

Seems like a typical high school paper. She assumes a lot, sources aren't credible, states opinions as facts, uninformed, etc...

Hunting is one of those things that is hard to explain on a personal level to those who don't understand it. I can understand her frustration with hunting if she's the only one in your family who doesn't get it.

I would agree though that hunting is not a sport. Calling it a sport cheapens it. It's a lot more than that.

To each their own. She blows her credibility in her opening line where she spells QUIET as QUITE. I have a cousin who is like this. She bought off on the propaganda early in life during her time spent in public schools on the East Coast. Over the years, she was mocked at every crossing for her hypocrisy in eating meats or otherwise using animal products. Eventually she morphed into a pasty white granola cruncher that was/is nuttier than squirrel chit. I'll give her props though, she is no longer much of a hypocrite....just iron and protein deficient.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

She is right though. What we do is wrong. We need to leave it all to nature. Those things absolutely need a warning and that's exactly my philosophy in hunting. I'm glad people have finally caught on to that. I mean hey, its only fair. Would you rather a deer get whacked unexpectedly or get whached while it runs in fear screaming for its life?

I'm not even fair. At least when a wolf takes down a bull moose he gives him a fighting chance for 3 days. He doesn't kill him all at once. He rips open a hindquarter and takes a little here and there for a few days. The whole time the terrified moose has the opportunity to escape. Then after a few days of that the wolves slowly start opening up the guts and enjoy some menudo. All the while the bull moose is still alive and at least has that glimmer of hope that he might live. Then after several days of anxiety, torture, and pain the moose is slowly drained of blood and internal organs and dies a completely painless unseen death. He never saw it coming and enjoyed the entire ordeal much more than if a hunter whacked him right out. Those people are completely right. We as hunters neeed to fire more warning shots. We also need to shoot small 22 calibe rounds at the guts and then follow up on the animal after 3 days of leaving it to itself in an attempte to finish it off. Then we can kill it knowing that the animal was killed just as nature would have had a lion or wolf do it. that is the correct way. That folks is why I gut shoot and fire warning shots. I, stinkystomper, am a true sportsman!

Don?t forget Stinky, that those warning shots also serve as warnings (known as ?near miss incidents?) to the animal?s family, friends, and loved ones which are always close by. It is well known that these warning shots are discussed in detail during the root cause analysis briefings when the animals regroup (Peta). These briefings are crucial to animal awareness. Meeting minutes and recommended updates are usually passed on to the animal in charge of the emergency preparedness plan, which is usually an older doe or cow (Peta).

"The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." ~ Aldo Leopold

D13er, you've come to the wrong thread if it is pics you're after. This one is called, 'MY SISTER IS NUTS.' You are looking for the one called, 'MY SISTERS NUTS.'
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

A little different thought.....she REALLY needs a good editor!

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I quit reading when the idiot first referenced peta. Sorry, but your sister and her closed minded thinking is what's wrong with America...she prolly thinks she's a free thinker and open minded progressive. If its not her way of thinking, it shouldn't be legal. We need an island for these nutjobs!

Traditional >>>------->

she lost me in the first sentence...

"Picture a quite forest."

quite   [kwahyt]adverb
completely, wholly, or entirely: quite the reverse; not quite finished.
actually, really, or truly: quite a sudden change.
to a considerable extent or degree: quite small; quite objectionable.

Pretty sure she meant "quiet" forest...

You guys have it all wrong. Everything you need to know about nature and a harmonic ecosystem can be found in one place.
7834junglebook.jpg

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Ok, I lied. I read the rest.

I pictured the forest. It was pretty. Then I pictured someone shooting at me. It was scary. I couldn't help but wonder why anyone was shooting at me. I had my freakin orange on! Some old man must have thought I was a deer. A-hole! Oh wait, am I supposed to be picturing myself as an animal in the forest. That was kind of unclear. I thought maybe she was writing a new version of the Hunger Games or Running Man.

"While reading this article I learned that the animals that are hunting do not die instantly most of the time." Animals that are hunting . . . is she referring to predators here? I've found that predators that are hunting don't die instantly most of the time either. Most of the time, the animals that are hunting usually kill the animal that they are hunting.

"Hunting is on their minds 24/7. They will hunt anything and everything that has a heartbeat. And for what? The intense joy of stopping that heartbeat? Of knowing that they had power over something? To know that they are the dominate species and can kill anything they wish just to kill it? This sounds a little power hungry to me." She seems to be changing the subject a lot here. Sounds to me like she is talking about wolves now.

"You have just killed a helpless, defenseless animal in their own home environment. Most likely in front of their offspring." Yikes! Clearly she has done a sh1tload of research on familial relationships in the animal kingdom. I'm sure that bachelor group of bucks is probably just a daddy deer out taking a walk with all his sons and grandsons.

"The cost is clear." Yep, the cost is clear. Hunting is freakin expensive.

"This would be an incredible traumatic thing for the other ducks to witness as they fly out of the pond as fast as they can in a shocked state, not to mention the duck that was hit, who is most likely still having a long and painful death from the bullet that didn't quite kill it right away." Correction. . . most ducks are not flying out of the pond. They are flying towards the pond. That's when we dump 'em. And that duck is probably not dying from the bullet. It is probably dead as a doornail because of the many, many PELLETS that hammered it. And they didnt quite kill it right away? I think she means, didnt quiet kill it right away. SHEESH!

F
F
F
F
F

Its really sad she is that misinformed.....

But on the bright side for her, she is guaranteed a job as a writer at the NY Times, or Washington Post, or...........

Good lord, where to start? Maybe your sis should investigate PETA on their well documented number of "saved" animals that are uthenized each year. Then she should read the first chapter of Genesis in the bible, since she went the religeous rout about god and his intentions for animals. Maybe, just maybe then her head could start to slide ever so slowly out of that dark cave known as her a_s on the hunting subject.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom