My November Buck Hunt

larrbo

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-11 AT 07:32PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/9132coon_camp_buck2.jpg

Just got home today from hunting up in Northeastern California on a PLM deer hunt. We spent 6 days hunting hard and the deer were hard to find.
I spotted this buck on Saturday morning when I went to glass a ridge at the front end of the property. I spotted 6 deer about 650 yards above me so I got out my scope to see what they were. They were weaving in and out of the junipers and it was hard to keep track of them, but I noticed one large deer coming out from behind the cover and it was a buck....big buck. I could see that he was a 5x4 and had pretty good mass, it looked like he was at least 26" wide. I checked the wind and saw that I had to take a indirect route to put on a stalk. I moved down behind a finger and worked my way up to where the deer were keeping the ridgeline and junipers as cover. When I got to the spot where I should be able to see the deer they were gone. I hiked up to the top to see if they had gone over the top...nothing.....bummer. I went back to have lunch with my buddies and discussed hunting an area above where I had send this buck, and off we went.
As we were walking down to glass off of a point we notice some deer to our right at about 150 yards. I put my binos up and said that's the buck. I flipped off my safty and put it on the shoulder...bang, he went down like a ton of bricks. As we watched the buck got up after about 10 seconds and stumbeled down behind some junipers. We figured that he would just pile up and wanted to give him a few minutes. Then after a minute we saw a big buck about 200 yards above where the buck went down go over a ridge. We went down and saw a blood trail the went down the hill for 100 feet then over the edge of a ridge. Then the buck stayed on the back side until we saw him go over the top. We spent the rest of Saturday and most of Sunday looking for him. On Monday morning my buddies were on the lowwer sage flats when the saw some does, then they saw the buck get up and move very stiffly. They put him down putting an end to a 2 day hunt for this deer. I don't think he would have made it much more than a week. I hit him in the back above the shoulder, but may have hit a branch because the bullet didn't penetrate all the way through. I had never dropped a deer in its tracks and have him get up and get away...I guess I can't say that any more.
The buck wound up being 28" wide, 5x4, and I came up with a score of 186 before any deductions.

Great buck, congratulations. And good job, for being persistant. Got to get those wounded bucks, and you sure did that. GREAT BUCK AGAIN!!!

Thanks

Brownie

Really glad for you Larry! My neighbor says a guy with your kinda rig towing a wheeler stopped by my place when i was out looking at a job with a buddy. Guess i missed out on getting my hands on that rack! How did the other 2 guys do? Any more pic's?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Yes I did stop by on my way home. One of my friends killed a 2x3few this morning because he didn't know if could come back up later. Mike might be able to hunt a few days after Thanksgiving. We really had to hunt hard to find the deer. I think a good snow storm would help.

Suposed to get snow Friday and Sat. But it's coming out of the north so it won't be much, just cold.

Great buck!!!!! And thank you guys for being persistent.

Good looking buck......especially for the Golden State. Congratulations sir, on a fine muley!

BOHNTR )))---------->

That's one fine buck for Cali.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Very impressive Buck Larry for any State, but in California WOW! He is a beauty!

Congrats on that awesome buck. Great to see Daves property turning out a monster after all the work he has done there.

He let my son hunt that property on a antelope tag he drew maybe 10 years ago.
Beautiful property, but, not producing bucks like that yet. They did a lot work there.

Glad you got such a nice deer there.

sweet buk man!.......more then likly the bullet was tumbling when it hit the deer thats why the lack of penatration

Manny said, "sweet buk man!.......more then likly the bullet was tumbling when it hit the deer thats why the lack of penatration"

Manny, Larry shoots a sweet setup. It's one of them Ultra-light Mark V Weatherby's with the fluted barrel and synthetic stock. 180 gr factory in 300 Weatherby Mag. Tumbling?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom