My natal SA hunt and what luck I had,

billc

This was my 3rd trip to natal and this trip was another great one. Plan was for red duiker and a big nyala. Hunting red duiker is not easy and I decide I would pass on nyala as we hunted for it. I only had 2 days on the place where we could hunt them and 4 days total to hunt natal. First day we see a few and some 30inch and bigger nyala. The 2nd day we start early and have a good plan for duiker. The tracker tells me we will get one by 8am and I likes how sure he was. get to the spot and of course the animal that comes in is a few nyala with around a 30 to 31 male. we just watch and enjoy the nyala as we search for duiker. When all of a sudden tracker tells me red duiker coming in get ready. I watch him walking through the thick brush and pick the spot I think he will come out at. He walks along a down long he comes out and I fire. I felt good but he took off full speed. We check and blood right at spot I took shoot. a short walk of 15 yds and we find him dead. Shoot was perfect just behind shoulder. We check the time and at 757 am we were done. I just looked at the tracker and laughed he asked what was funny I said duiker was early your time was off 3minutes and I was not ready and he is lucky I can forgive him for that. He laughed got a big smile

20240807_083158(0).jpg

20240807_083300.jpg

20240807_074909.jpg

20240806_113043.jpg

We hunted the rest of the day say a few more red duiker and many very good nyala. I have taken 4 nyala in my trips so far so looking for better then avg. I passed on one I doubted myself on till I took my nyala this trip. Day 3 we move to new area next door to just search for nyala or the big kudu bull that been seen a few times this year. We hunted and looked over many nyala but kept passing. I had asked them to build a brush blind before getting there so we could hunt water during the heat of the day. The plan worked perfect as it was a slow start but then the animals started coming to drink. After seeing 2 bulls walking at us we knew the one we would really need to look for. They saw us and slipped back in to the brush. After watching some others do this I had a great idea were they would come out at. After about 15 minutes I look up to see the nyala come out stop and look right at me. We now see him and have no doubt this is my dream bull and we need to take him. Only problem his is looking right at me straight on. I decide time is now and decide if I can get gun up I will take the 80 yd head on shoot free hand and not worry about the sticks. I pull up get his chest in the scope and take the shoot to watch him drop right in his tracks. We still had no idea really how big he was till we walked up to him. I had my once in many lifetimes nyala down. He is 32 x 32 1/2. This bull was super old and would not have made another year. I finished my trip with a nice warthog to

20240808_125204.jpg

20240808_130009.jpg

20240808_130247.jpg

20240809_102633.jpg

20240808_112338.jpg

20240808_173001.jpg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom