My Montana Antelope hunt.

Craig

Very Active Member
Just got back from my first time hunting Antelope in central Montana. These things are a lot harder to hunt then a thought. If they see you a mile away they start running and don't stop forever.

the first couple of days i helped our rancher friends out. It was calf selling time. We had to get all the cows into a pin.
334397.jpg

Then we would send a couple at a time down the shoot and put cows in one pin, and then sort calfs by size and male or female. once that was done most of the calfs were off to be sold.
334398.jpg

once all the calfs were done then we had to send the cows through for some shots and then got sprayed to keep bugs off of them.
334400.jpg

Those cows don't like being in those shoots. That was the first time helping with cows and it's a lot of work. Some of those cows wanted to kick your as# if they got a chance. After all the cows were done we ate some good BBQ .

Now it's time to hunt Antelope. The ranches we were hunting on were so big and open you kind of drive to diffrent spots and glass then if you see a nice buck you start a stock on him. Most of the time you would see the Antelope at 3/4 to over a mile away. If they saw you then were running like hell for a long time. After about five blown stocks I was able to get down into a small coulee and the Antelope came walking by about 200 yards away. We saw eachother at the same time and only had about 15 sec to tell of he was a nice buck and shoot him. I got him with the frist shot and he went down for good.

the country we hunted
334401.jpg

My antelope.He kind of flares back instead of in. He has some good mass and nice prongs.
334396.jpg

334395.jpg

I took my orange vest off for the picture.
I decided I liked him and am going to get him mounted. This is not my buck but will be the pose I got with the rock and habitat. I am having it mounted by Lewistown Taxidemist.
334399.jpg

Craig-

Nice buck! and good stories!. No wonder my rancher friend in SE MT has to be tougher than a running back to survive.

Those are some nice prongs. Did he break the 14" mark?

I hunted in Winifred MT (by Lewistown) two years ago for Lope. Great area, great times!

muleyman

mulino, oregon

Nice antelope, that is on my to-do list in the not so distant future. I love the way antelope mounts look. You got a cool looking buck too.

Nice 'lope Craig. Will you be hunting deer in the same area this year. Can't remember if you were from Lewistown or not. Who is your tax man in L'town? I have had Dave Sanders take care of my last two deer and a bear rug.

I like the pose on the one above. Really like the wall pedestals.

mtmiller

I live in Washington but hunt east of Lewistown. I did not draw a deer A tag this year so we bought some doe tags and will be back hunting in November and drinking some beer ae American Legion bar in Roy. I use Dan Gill to do my Taxidermy work. He did a mule deer for my and it turned out great.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom