My kid got his report card today

feddoc

Long Time Member
Two A's, one B and one C. Not a big deal for most kids.

But, given the level of crap he has gone through to get these grades, this is a huge deal for him.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

All one can do, is to keep on plugging away. Glad things are improving.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Good for him feddoc!! How old is he??

My son's been struggling a little in school this year. He switched schools and rarely sees his mom anymore, I think in his mind he thinks he'll be able to go back to the old school and see her more if he doesn't do well at this school...not the case!! Each day is getting better though, just keep helping him as much as I can...

~Z~

When my wife and I were dating she told me that she got one B in high school. I said so did I, difference was that I was over achieving to get it.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-11 AT 07:47AM (MST)[p]I will say that life wasn't a picnic when we transferred form the Alaska school system and the New Mexico school system. My son was grossly underprepared for first grade here in New Mexico, and we spent nearly all last year getting him caught up with extra reading, remedial classes, and lots of encouragement. This year has been so much better, my son isn't at his benchmark level for a couple of subjects, but at least the gap isn't like it was last year. Good on your boy for doing well this grading period, is he getting some sort of reward for doing good? I worked out a deal with my folks when I was in High school, every time I made the honor roll I got a day off from school to play hooky, which usually meant I took a day off during the hunting seasons. In fact I was joking around with one of our other Scout leaders in our Pack the other day, told him ibwas going to take away his man card since he took his 14 year old daughter shopping the other night. She made straight A's for the first time in her life, she got diagnosed with dyslexia very late and it took a couple of years of tutoring and extra work to get her over her issues.
WVBOWAK

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-11 AT 09:03AM (MST)[p]never_catch, he is 11.

wvbowhunterinalaska, yea he will get a reward; just haven't figured out what it will be. What part of NM? I spent time north of Clovis as a kid.

My kid's issues revolve around drug use by his womb owner and abuse in foster homes. It took us two years to convince him that he wasn't going to get given away (again) like a piece of furniture. He still needs a lot of work, so, I take every victory..no matter how mundane it may seem.. as a blessing.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Good for him! Having done some foster care for kids with similar background I can say you have your work cut out for you but it sounds like you have a great grasp on what you need to do.

Good for you guys. As a teacher I can tell you "Attitude is Everything." You guys are presenting the right attitude that will make your kid a success.

Quick story we had a single mom kid move in to school years back terrible grades from previous schools, attendance less than 50%. No skills in the classroom at all. I made him a deal with mom's permission If he averaged a "B" each week on grade reports he got to go hunting with me. He was only down once from 6th grade to senior graduation. He graduated from high school and then college he still hunts with me at 33 years old. He flies back from California where he is a structural engineer. It was just his attitude that changed. Their not fully developed anything is possible the struggling 12 year old student might be your surgeon some day.

Sounds like he is doing well !! Good for him. Kids have so much pressure at those ages between school, friends, family etc..

Doc, we live in Las Cruces. We moved after I got out of the Air Force, tried like Hell to get stationed here while I was in (my wife grew up in T or C), so I figured that the military could move me here after I got out. New Mexico offered some really good programs for veterans and for the most part I like the area, I can do without the heat and the wind. So what is this kid of yours into, that could be part of the reward? Maybe something extra at Christmas? Little hard for ms to say since I don't know your son. Tell him congrats from me, he did an outstanding job.
WVBOWAK

Feddoc:

You sound like a great parent and a big congrat's to your son! Kids are indeed more important than ANYTHING!!!

Cornhunsker:

You are a great example to our profession. What a great success story.. I love seeing these kinds of threads!!

Good work feddoc!! Keep pouring the love on him. One of my best buds has two adopted sons two who came from a troubled situation like that. They lived with their parents until the oldest was 6 and the youngest was 3 - prior to coming to their home as foster kids they were literally living in the back of their parents car while mommy hooked and daddy dealt meth and heroin. They both saw waaayy too many things and were abused by one of their mom's tricks after she passed out one night. The state took the boys away and placed them with my buddy, his wife, and their two older boys. They immediately knew they would be fighting to keep custody of those two boys no matter what it cost.

They went through the whole process of petioning the state for permanent custody and were ready to take it all the way, then one day out of the blue their lawyer called and told them to be at the courthouse the next morning. They thought it had to be a bad sign and intrepidly went down. When they got there, the birth parents were already there and the looks on their faces were somber and forlorn, they could tell they had been crying. Well, it turns out they did the bravest thing they could - they signed their parental rights away.

Now it was my buddy's and his wife's turn to cry. It was truly an emotional day for all, when they told the boys they were elated. They arranged a day for them to say goodbye to the birth parents and neither one of those boys even shed a tear when they said goodbye.

That was just a little over two years ago - the boys still continue to have some behavior problems and struggle a lot in school, but get better every day. That's all you can count on. They are sweet boys though and still have a hard time believing there are people who love them as much as my buddy and his wife do.

There is nothing more important in your life than your family. I love to hear your story feddoc! We get on my oldest boy when he slips below 90% because we know that only happens because he gets careless and lazy and underachieves a little. Not too much though, we are very grateful that he is becoming such a great young man and though we have high expectations, we try not to overwhelm him with it.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Awesome! But those grades are really a product of whats going on, on the home front. You both should be proud

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom