my gear list

marley

Very Active Member
Okay, I leave for Alaska for my sheep hunt in one week and I am paranoid that I am leaving out something. Look over my list of gear and let me know if I am missing anything. This is a 12 day backpack hunt.

Clothing

* 3- Heavy Socks
* 3- Liner Socks
* 3- Briefs Under Armor
* 2- Long Underwear Tops – . Synthetic
* 2- Long Underwear Bottoms – . Synthetic .
* 1- Pants – Sitka
* 2- T-Shirts
* 1- Sitka Mountain Shirt or sweater
* 1- Light Gloves
* 2- Hat (1 light – ball cap and 1 warm – stocking cap type)
* 1- Raingear – Jacket and Pants
* 1- Jacket -90% jacket
* 1- Vest Fleece
* 1- Cotton Handkerchiefs
* 1- Travel clothes (1 set - wear to and from airport leave at hotel w/hard gun or bow case)

TRAVEL

* Airline Itinerary
* Hotel Itinerary
* Tip and travel cash

Footwear

* 1- Pair Boots
* 1- Camp shoes (Croc's)
* 1- Blister kit (Moleskin, Band-Aid Blister covers/pads, athletic tape and Duct tape)

Sleeping

* 1- Sleeping bag
* 1- Self inflating sleeping pad
* 1- Stocking cap for sleeping in

Hunting Equipment

* 1- Large pack
* 1- Backpack rain cover
* 1- Binoculars
* 1- Spotting Scope
* 1- Rangefinder
* 1- Lens cloth and/or Lens Pen
* 1-2 compact hunting knife

RIFLE ITEMS

* Rifle
* Rifle Sling & Scope cover
* 40 rounds of ammo.
* Electrical tape for barrel
* Gun Oil – Teflon based like RemOil
* Wrench for tightening scope mounts and stock screws
* Hard weapon case
* Soft gun case - for trip on plane

Miscellaneous

* 1- Digital Camera
* Video Camera with extra batteries and tapes
* 1- Flashlight/headlamp LED w/extra batteries
* 1 Liter sized hard water bottle (Nalgene) or Gatorade type bottle
* 2 Liter sized camelback bladder
* Matches in waterproof container and a butane lighter
* Bug repellent (1 or 2 oz bottle)
* 1 - Sunglasses w/head strap
* Ziploc Bags (2 or 3, 2.5 gallon size)
* Garbage Bags (2 or 3, heavy duty )

Personal

* Tooth Brush, Tooth Paste & Dental Floss
* Small (1-2 oz.) liquid soap (no-scent hair and body) or shampoo
* Toilet Paper for backpacking (Kleenex pocket packs or TP in a Ziploc)
* 2 Lip balms w/SPF 10 minimum
* Small towel and wash clothe
* Travel sewing kit
* Sleeping Pad repair kit
* Razor and cream
* Deodorant (baking soda or no-scent type)
* Babywipes (unscented)-(travel pack of 15 is plenty) or a couple Scent Shield Bath Towels
* Prescription medication
* Advil, aspirin & Motrin, antibiotics, allergy meds.
* Band-Aids, medical tape & antibiotic cream
* Athletes Foot/Jock Itch powder

Optional

* Sunblock – SPF 20-30
* Leki Telescopic Trekking poles
* Small notepad and pencil/pen
* Specialty food/snacks/jerky/gum or other food
* Salt and Pepper

Wow, Thats a complete list. What does it weigh in the pack?

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.
Thomas Jefferson

I'd be curious as to the weight also. I would move the trekking poles from the optional list to the must have list. One thing that is a no-brainer, but just in case, write down hunting licenses and hunter ed card on your list. A few years ago in a bow-only area, I forgot my bowhunter ed card. Thankfully I hadn't killed anything before Ranger Rick checked my tags and basically ended my hunt. I head to Alaska for moose in a month. Good luck on your sheep hunt.

I just put everything in my pack last night to get an idea what it would weigh. I didn't put in the clothes that I would be wearing or my binoculars and only one box of ammo as the other box will be for sighting in. I also didn't put my spotting scope in because my guide said that he would carry that. With everything that I would be carrying in my pack it weighed 31 pounds. That is without my rifle which weighs 8 pounds and my water bladder and bottle was empty. With the rifle and water I am guessing that I will be around 42 pounds.

The trekking poles are going with me.

You forgot one thing....ME!!!! Sounds like dang good time!!! The only other thing I may suggest is a silk scarf that you can double wrap around your neck. helps with cold and chaffing from the top of your jacket on your neck and jaw. Just a thought. We use them and it sure helps!!! I suggest if you do get one wash it first because it will make the silk softer. Good Luck and take a lot of pics!!!!

In my opinion, you are taking too much clothing. I used to be like that and found most of the time you will just be packing around the clothing and not even using it.

Try to get double use for items instead of taking 2-3 items. Like your hats, one light, one heavier and one for sleeping in. I take a ball cap and a touque. The touque is used when its cold and windy and to sleep in.

Also look at your clothing, do you need all that. If you are wearing your long under wear are you also going to be wearing a T-shirt? For me I wear my long underwear all the time, so if it gets cold, I put on a polar fleece jacket, if it gets colder I put on my goretex rain-coat. That's all the cloths I take.

I would also lose the sewing kit, chances are you wont need it and if you do rip something, who cares. Your patch kit will work on your rain coat as well as you matress. Those are the only things I would worry about repairing.

You are also taking 4 types of tape. Duct, electrical, athletic, and medical. Do you really need all of this. I buy one of those small roles of duct tape (1 inch in diameter) and thats it. Use it to repair cloths etc, top of the gun barrel and it will hold everything else your other three tapes were supposed to do.

Some of the other items are luxery items, like a razor and cream and deordorant. Are you hunting or looking for a date:):):) Are you shaving daily or just once on the trip. For me I know the hairs on my neck start driving me nuts after a week as they rub on my cloths. If I know I am gone more then a week I take a disposable bic and just use some soap. Not the greatest shave or the most comforatbale but gets the hair off my neck. i worry about the face whehn I get home. On the topic of soap, have you seen the new soap leaves?? They look like little sheets of wax paper and 20 or so come in a package a bit bigger then a couple of quaters. I would take this instead of liquid soap. Super light.

Some things I would take that are not on your list are:
Extra boots laces. Can also be used to tie other things. or 30 feet of light cord that can be used as laces or for pack repairs.

Gatorade Power or juice crystals. Just gives your water that extra flavour that is usually lacking in the mountains. Also very light.

Extra buckles for your pack (one large for your waste belt and a one for a shoulder strap). if these break it could ruin your hunt.

A sil-tarp or like wise tarp. Light and can be set up with hiking poles to get out the rain while glassing or cooking lunch etc.

I would lose the large hard water bottle and get another bladder (the platypus bags are almost bomb proof). You can drink from one of these instead of the hard bottle).

Find out what the guide is taking and drop everything that he is taking, that is extra. Like you dont need two tarps or if he has light cord get rid of yours etc etc.

I also assume you are taking a tripod for your sportter?? If not I would definately bring one.

Hope this helps you out.

BHB

thanks for all the info. To address a few of your thoughts I am the type that very rarely gets cold. I am usually the guy that is standing there in a T-shirt when everyone else looks like the stay puffed marshmellow man so the T-shirts are a must for me. My friend that is coming is not taking t-shirts.

I am a dr. so my "sewing kit" is sutures and I don't go many places without them. I've had to sew myself once before and I put 22 stitches in my buddy once on a backpacking trip but it can double as needle and thread for rips and tears in clothing.

Tape: the athletic is for my bad ankle, I have 6 feet of duct tape and 2 feet of electrical for my barrel so it's not much at all.

I'll only be shaving once. I get to itching so bad I can't stand it by about day 6 and it is a disposable with just a tear open pouch of cream for a 1 time use.

Gatorade: I found some drink enhancement stuff at GNC called R4. Alot of extra calories carbs and protein.

I love the tarp idea but I think my guide has that taken care of.

My guide has the tripod covered. His is lighter than mine but he wants to try my spotter as it is better than his.

Thanks for the input guys, it's nice to have others look over your list. We'll be videotaping this hunt so hopefully I'll have some good footage for you guys when I get back.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom