My eyes are failing

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I guess that happens as you get old.

I went kayak fishing yesterday out in the ocean for bottom fish. We caught quite a few fish. We worked our way north and decided to fish this one pinnacle that always holds good ling cod. So I switch over to a 6 oz. Diamond Jig with a treble hook on the bottom. A brand new lure, nice and shiny. Right out of the box.

My buddy caught three right away. All I got was several nice take downs but they didn't stick. I was getting pretty frustrated. I never did catch one.

This morning I was cleaning up my gear and I noticed my Diamond Jig has 3 little clear plastic tubes over the hook points! It keeps the points nice and sharp. They're still nice and sharp....:( I'm thinking about suing them.:)

I'm sure I'm the only one who's done something like that?

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

LMAO Eel!

At least you Fessed up to it!

Did you say:JFP!!!:D:D:D

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

Now if You'll File the Barbs off you'll have the Perfect KALI Approved Lure!:D

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

Elkassassin, you'd think they would at least make them red or green or black....anything but clear!!!

I said a few JFP!!!!! this morning:D:D

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

Reminds me of a nice Fall day on a tributary about 10 miles above town and our local Lake, Lake Almanor. I only had a fly rod along that day, one of my best, a newer prototype #1, 9' 4 weight made by Walt Powell.

There were still grasshoppers about and knowing i'd do well to imitate them, i picked from several variations in one of my boxes and tied this to a 5x tippet. I shook out some line, made a decent cast, and watched as a nice trout quickly rose and fully took the imitation. I missed him, darn it, but quickly got another drift, missed another fish. This went on for some time. I kept casting, i'd get a good rise, and i'd miss the fish.

After a good bit of fishing and not one fish to hand, something occurred to me. I checked my bug and sure enough, the hook had broken off, there was no hook part at all of my fly. Had it been there when i started? I know not but it was one of those times and one of those great days afield when a guy just Laughs to himself a bit, ties on a new bug, and gets back after em. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>Reminds me of a nice Fall
>day on a tributary about
>10 miles above town and
>our local Lake, Lake Almanor.
>I only had a fly
>rod along that day, one
>of my best, a newer
>prototype #1, 9' 4 weight
>made by Walt Powell.
>
> There were still grasshoppers about
>and knowing i'd do well
>to imitate them, i picked
>from several variations in one
>of my boxes and tied
>this to a 5x tippet.
>I shook out some line,
>made a decent cast, and
>watched as a nice trout
>quickly rose and fully took
>the imitation. I missed him,
>darn it, but quickly got
>another drift, missed another fish.
>This went on for some
>time. I kept casting, i'd
>get a good rise, and
>i'd miss the fish.
>
>After a good bit of fishing
>and not one fish to
>hand, something occurred to me.
>I checked my bug and
>sure enough, the hook had
>broken off, there was no
>hook part at all of
>my fly. Had it been
>there when i started? I
>know not but it was
>one of those times and
>one of those great days
>afield when a guy just
>Laughs to himself a bit,
>ties on a new bug,
>and gets back after em.
>:)
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Hey Uncle sage?

Did they Smack the Fly that had a Hook as Well/Fast?:D

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

Joey, it's kind of a sinking feeling when you realize you've been shooting blanks all day. :D

Eel

"Did they Smack the Fly that had a Hook as Well/Fast?"

That's a interesting question, you're asking if the fish noticed that there was no hook so figured it the real thing. I don't remember that part. I know that i caught well that afternoon into evening, caught my dinner, but can't say if it slowed down once i put put a fly on that had it's hook. It's been awhile!

This was Above Warner Creek Bridge. One year i had no plumbing work and was offered a job as a helper to a guy setting stone in a big custom farther up the valley. Every evening we'd be coming home, crossing that one lane bridge, my eye's were drawn to the same place along the bank just downstream of the bridge. Just like that, i had all of Warner Creek to look at but every day my eyes went to the same 4 or 5 foot stretch of water right along that bank.

One day we needed to bring two rigs so i had my stuff behind the seat of my own. After work i pulled across the bridge, parked, got out my stuff, and made one cast to that spot that had for weeks now, had interested me as a good spot for a big one. Sure enough and true as rain, that first cast as it neared the bank was taken hard and hooked me a longish and colorful brown trout of at least 3 pounds. The fish fought well so i let him go, one of the biggest i'd ever caught that far up. One cast, one fish. I broke my gear down and went home.

Eel said, "Joey, it's kind of a sinking feeling when you realize you've been shooting blanks all day"

Yep, all a guy can do is go with it Steve. Wasn't it Readers Digest that claimed, "laughter is the best medicine".

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom