My Crazy Idea...

elks96

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-13 AT 10:01PM (MST)[p]So I am looking at things in WY and realizing that it may be many years before I ever draw my quality elk tag. I have 6 points, 1 less than max. I did not get in the first year. As a result I currently have 6 for Elk, 1 for Deer and 1 for lopes... Seeing how I am not sure I will ever catch a top unit, at least not before I start getting old and slow... I have this second thought/dream. I love hunting the desert areas of WY and the big sage country. I have hunted on Ferris Mountain for deer, but also have hunted around Baggs as well...

So my thought. I want to find a unit where I can take a good representative animal in all 3 species with a bow. I know there are many areas where this can happen, but what about a decent unit for decent elk and lopes that can also be drawn with a single point. It will be very expensive to have all 3 tags at once, but I would love to say that in one long weekend I took a lope, muley and an elk... PS I want to try it with my bow.

Crazy I know but hopefully there is an area where I will have a good chance at all 3... My buddy once took a 78" lope and a 150ish muley with a rifle with in 20 minutes of each other. I want to top that and then some...

All things being said I would like a small 6 bull, a 160ish buck and a 75ish lope...

Let me know what you think... And thanks for reading

Are there any archery only units for all 3???

I think it is in fact a Crazy Idea! With a bow I don't really see how that would be feasible in a long weekend, you would have to get lucky or be really really good. With a gun now, it might be possible.

There are only a few bow only units in Wyoming and I don't think they overlap with each other. I am not sure if there is a bow only deer tag, haven't seen that either. If you had 3-4 weeks to pull that off, then I'd say there is a chance.

My advice would be to figure out where to spend the 6 elk points (not easy since you are one less than max) and then find the best lope and deer units around the elk unit.

I know with a bow not likely, but I want to try. I would of course hunt all weekends and a few days off here and there, but if I could I would like to pull off all three back to back. At least a unit where it could happen even if unlikely... I will look into elk units.

Does anyone else know if there are units that are archery only for all 3 species? I thought maybe North West out of Rawlins before green mountain abound Baroil might be?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-13 AT 00:04AM (MST)[p]OK so going with what I have I can't figure away to put all 3 together right now looking at things.

However I am wondering if I can't put all 3 together on a Dow/Cow tags at the reduced cost? I am looking at that next.

Utilizing the Special Draw, there is no reason that you could not draw a top shelf elk unit in the next couple of years with -1 max points. Especially with the 2014 price increase.

Find a good ranch & rancher is the ticket. It can be done with some time and money. Got to have both!

I dis agree with the money issue... At least as far as paying for access etc. I am going DIY on public land. I just am trying to strike a balance between my points, with my elk high and my deer low, and antelope 1 behind. I am just not sure. I may just hold onto all my points and eventually go for unit that I know in the desert that has elk deer and lopes in the same areas...

Hardest part is drawing the elk tag.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-13 AT 05:16PM (MST)[p]I think you are gona end up wasting tags! On second thought I know your going to waste tags! No doubt about it. Its your points to waste.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom