My Buddy Jeff kills his first 'lope

eelgrass

Long Time Member
This hunt took place many years ago, maybe 1985 or 86. Time has a way of slipping by.....

I met Jeff while out duck hunting one year, and we got to be pretty good friends. He never took himself or the hunt too seriously, and was always good for a laugh.

Jeff had never killed a big game animal in his life, so I was pretty surprised when he called me one day and announced that he had drawn a Pronghorn tag for Likely Tables, a unit in Kali. To this day I'm not sure if he realizes how lucky he was, as it was the first time he had ever put in for the drawing.

He asked me if I would be his "guide" since I had hunted the unit in 1982. I told him, "Sure Jeff, but you have to take this hunt seriously. You have a very unique opportunity to experience a great hunt and kill a big buck. You can't waste the tag!" He assured me he would take it serious.

Jeff doesn't own a rifle. A shotgun but no rifle. He borrowed a pre '64 Winchester 30-06 from his brother and practiced enough to shoot fairly well. It is a sweeeeet gun.

Well the day finally arrived. We left on Thursday afternoon with Jeff announcing that he had made reservations at a motel in Alturas since we wouldn't get over there until late. We pulled into Alturas about midnight and found our motel. We rang the night bell and the lady came out. She said she waited until 10:00 pm and since we hadn't showed up, rented our room to someone else. The motel was full. Great!

We drove around looking for another motel but they all had "NO VACANCY" signs. Out of desperation, we found a wide spot outside town on Hwy 395 just as the rain started. We piled all our camping gear on the ground, covered it with a tarp, and crawled into the bed of his Toyota truck with a canopy.

Two guys sleeping in the bed of a Toyota is a little cramped, if you get my drift! About an hour later I hear a car pull up. It's the local deputy sheriff. He walks over with his flashlight. Jeff says "It's OK officer, it's not what you think!" We explain the situation and we all laugh. Well, everyone except the deputy who just shakes his head, tells us to leave first thing in the morning, and drives away. I told Jeff to let me do the talking from now on. Jeff can't quit laughing and I told him "Shut up and get serious, we need to get some sleep!"

to be continued...

The next morning we attended an orientation meeting in Alturas put on by the Fish&Game. It was held at the local high school if I remember right. There were several speakers including a biologist who gave a great presentation on the life history of Pronghorns. A game warden explained all the rules, like how to tell the bucks from the does, legal shooting hours, etc. He said to not expect leniency from the local judge because the judge had never drawn a tag, and probably wouldn't be in the best of moods! They had many mounted animals to look at including a few "book" bucks.

After the presentation there was a question and answer period. Jeff raised his hand and wanted to know if antelope dropped their antlers every year? The biologist had just said they have modified horns, not antlers. I thought they were going to seize his tag right there!:)

We got out of the meeting fairly unscathed and headed up and set up camp at this natural hot springs that I know about. We hunted for, and found some arrowheads too! Then we drove around until dark but didn't see any animals. Jeff was nervous because we hadn't spotted any, but I told him not to worry as there were antelope everywhere. That night we took turns soaking in the hot spring. Very refreshing!

Saturday morning, opening day, we drove about 5 miles from camp and spotted a nice herd of does and a good looking buck. We were trying to figure out a plan of attack when I noticed another hunter stalking the herd. The herd was at the lower end of a long but narrow patch of open ground. I figured that if spooked they would stick to the open ground, so I told Jeff to grab his gun and we would hide out behind a lone juniper tree out in the middle and see what happened. On the way out we heard a shot, but we couldn't see because of the curvature of the slope. We hurried and got into position. Sure enough, here they came! The buck was with them, so whoever shot had missed.

They ran right up to us and stopped, not 50 yards away. They had no clue we were there. The buck looked like about 15" with good prongs so I told Jeff to shoot when it was clear. He was behind a doe. Jeff got a bead as they were milling around. Then the buck mounted a doe! He evidently didn't know he had been shot at. Jeff started laughing and couldn't hold steady enough to get a shot! Then the whole herd took off on the run again and never stopped.

I reminded Jeff that he was supposed to be serious and let him know how dissapointed I was with him for missing a great opportunity. He promised to be more serious! Yeah, right.

That afternoon we drove to another area with a waterhole that you could see from the road. We parked and started glassing. I spotted three bucks bedded together on a little knoll about 1/4 mile away. One looked average, one was barely legal, and one was huge! They had us pegged, so I told Jeff we would drive until they were out of sight, park the truck, and then try to crawl up through the sage brush. It looked like we could get into good range if all went well. The north side of the knoll they were on was pretty steep and dropped off into a wet draw, so the sage brush was tall enough for cover.

It worked perfect. We were about 75 yards from the top when all three stood up trying to figure out what we were. I said "Take that big one Jeff, he's a monster!" I figured a 16 incher at least! Jeff said "Which one is he?" I thought to myself WTF??? "The one with the big horns Jeff!! The one with the big horns!!! Shoot now before they run!" BOOM! Jeff shot!

All three bucks turned and ran over the rise out of sight. I asked Jeff if he thought the shot was good? He said he thought so. We ran to the top and I see the two bigger bucks going hell bent for leather straight away. Off to the right lays the little buck......not even old enough to have prongs, but horns longer than the ears, so legal.

To his credit, Jeff was extremely thrilled at having taken his first big game animal. And I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable hunts I have ever been a part of. Jeff called the other day. I haven't seen him in years, as he moved to the Sacramento area many years ago. Thanks for the memories, Jeff!

Eel

Good story Eel.. Funny ending which reminds me of my nephew when he and I drew lope tags for CA. Very similar scenario ecept there were two bucks not three and he still managed to shoot the smaller one.. well he kinda shot it in the knee and the chase was on for a looooong while. He shot up all of his ammo, all the ammo for my spare rifle and most of mine. Sounds unbelievable but true. About a 1/2 a tank of gas and 40 rounds later the buck finally went to antelope heaven. I still laugh now when I think about it but it wasn't very funny at the time. The sad thing is the one he didn't shoot was 15 7/8 x 16 even. Another guy shot it while we were playing shoot and scare the crap out of the antelope and make him run... and run... and run... which by the way I can report they run very good on 3 1/2 legs.

Cool story eel. Sounds like you guys had a great time. Made me think back to those earlier, simpler times when enjoying the hunt came before the quest for the trophy. Had everything a good story needs, humor, sex, death, coulda done without the homoerotic inuendo...j/k. Nice story.

Thanks guys. It does seem like simpler times back then.

LOL Ransom. Kilo's been pretty quiet. I figure there must be a magazine deal in the works?

Eel

Jim, it's east of West Valley Res. Not sure the name of the road. It's in the Juniper trees, not marked in any way. If you didn't know it was there you'd miss it. I haven't been back to it since the hunt 25 years ago. There might be a Holiday Inn there now, for all I know.:)

Eel

I was wondering Steve, because ir was actually featured in "Brokeback Mountain" as one of the most gentle, sensitive experiances those two boys had. I hope you and Kilo had a great soak. I mean Jeff. Sorry Steve Could not resist. Wink Wink. Jim Kilo is going to kill me.

hunting with homer simpson! classic!
great story!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom