My '24 general Utah bull

JakeH

Long Time Member
Well, my 2024 season is off to a great start, 2 elk in the freezer so far. (Good thing too because it's been empty for months)

I have been watching a herd of cow's for a week or so with a couple spikes as well, I knew it was only a matter of time before a bull joined them. Well Monday night was the night, I seen a branch antlerd bull come out of the trees and I hurried to get around to move into position.

I have a Ultimate Predator Decoy that straps onto my bow and allows me to shoot through it with it strapped on. As I was getting in close a cow busted me, but because of the decoy she didn't quite know what to think, she eventually did bust out and started barking alerting the rest of the herd that something was up, I also started cow calling as well as I moved to the edge of the treeline to where I could get a shot. Most of the herd was off to my left, the spooked cow had went off to the right. The bull started going to the right, I started calling and he didn't know what to do, and I was actually able to draw him in for a shot. It was now or never with the bull perfectly broadside I drew back settled my pin and cut it loose. I herd the smack of the arrow and as the bull ran off I could see blood perfectly right behind the shoulder about 1/3rd of the way up from the bottom. The bull stopped and then I seen him go down out of site in some taller brush, he expired in less than a minute.

He only made it 50ish yards from the shot and it was a complete pass through.

He's not the biggest bull, but he is going to be good eating. Made for a long night of packing meat, I finally got the last load to the truck at 2:00 am and made it home around 4am.

Here is the shot, The Beast Broadhead did a great job.
Screenshot_20240828_100708_Gallery.jpg

20240827_031033.jpg

Here I am with the bull after getting the last load to the truck, was able to get everything out in 3 trips, plus one trip to get the pack frame. The pack out was just under a mile from the elk to the truck.
20240827_020906.jpg

The kids didn't get to see him that night since it was so late, the next day when I was cleaning the skull up they got their Pictures with him.
20240827_163006.jpg

Lol, my daughter thought the eyeball was cool, she went and scared her mom with it. She's a good egg. Lol
20240827_161838.jpg

I still have one more archery elk hunt in September, and rifle and muzzleloader deer hunts in October and November. So hopefully they are just as successful as my first two hunts have been.

Way to go!

Second picture looks like a pink wiener hanging out of him! What's going on there?
I think it was due to the camera keeping the exposure open for a longer time due to the darkness, those where actually just a stream of bubbles flowing out of the wound.

This is what it looked like with the flash on.
Screenshot_20240828_114559_Gallery.jpg

Great shot! Always gets exciting when you are in that close to elk, regardless of size, I’ve wondered about those ultimate predator decoys, definitely had a few scenarios where I think it could help a bunch.
I am 100% sold on them, especially if hunting and calling alone. They don't work all the time, but they work enough that they are definitely worth the hassle of packing around, I pretty much leave mine attached to my bow all the time when elk hunting.

Congrats!! I'm hoping to make it happen with my bow this year. I have seen some elk consistently in the same spot. Just a hell of a hike. Good luck the rest of the year!

Ya Gotta Get Them Kids Big Enough To Help You JAKEH!

I'm Not Saying They Don't Help You Now!

Just Sayin!

When They Get Just A Little Older They'll Be Some Great Help For You Helping Packin Them Animals Out!

Ya Gotta Get Them Kids Big Enough To Help You JAKEH!

I'm Not Saying They Don't Help You Now!

Just Sayin!

When They Get Just A Little Older They'll Be Some Great Help For You Helping Packin Them Animals Out!
Yeah they still got a few years, my little boy might be quite the pack mule, he's only 4, but bigger then most 6/7 year Olds in my daughters 1st grade class. He's on the upper end of the growth chart in the 90th percentile, and has been his whole life. But he's also a little more squeamish, he would barely touch the eyeball, where my daughter was packing it around to go scare mom. Lol. Probably would have taken it to show and tell if we had let her. 😆

Last edited:
Hey JakeH!

Send It With Your Daughter/The Eyeball To School!

We Live In One Of The Very Few Places Anywhere Where I'd Bet Not Much Would Be Said!:D

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom