My 2015 Blacktail hunt

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I thought some of you might be interested in blacktail deer so I thought I would share this years hunt in the General Forum.

It's been a tough year this year. Deer numbers are down (IMHO) and the weather hasn't co-operated much. I'd been up on the mountain 4 times staying over night to get a good evening and morning hunt in. I've seen a total of 8 deer total and three of those were together.

This buck has been living in my back yard tempting me all season, but my wife gets all teary eyed when I reach for my rifle. I need to get her away from the house more :)

3871btbuck002.jpg

So, I left last Friday afternoon to stay until the season closed on Sunday. I got to camp and unloaded some gear and drove to where I intended to hunt for the evening. I parked and walked in about a half mile to some cut over country. I sneaked down through the timber and started glassing. I had been there for about a half hour without seeing anything so decided to move to the top of the ridge to check the other slope. I was moving real slow glassing as more ground became visible.

I saw two deer down near the bottom about 400 yards away. One was a decent forked-horn and one......was staring right at me. How those deer can pick up the slightest movement at that distance amazes me. I guess that's how they survive. I had the wind so I wasn't worried about that.

The forked-horn was relaxed feeding. The other one was a bigger deer but I couldn't see antlers. He just looked like a buck and the more I looked the more I thought I saw head gear but the back ground was such that they blended in with the brush behind him. I was glassing off hand and that didn't help.

I backed off and moved down about 20 yards to a water bar where I could crawl up and get a steadier view through the binoculars. The bigger deer was still staring at me. Now I could see he had antlers and bigger than the forked-horn so I settled in for the shot.

I took a shot and lost sight from the recoil of my .300 Win. Mag shooting 165 gr. Hornady GMX. By the time I got back on them the forked-horn was standing there and the other buck was nowhere to be found. I either got him or he blew out in a hurry.

That's when it dawned on me. I had left my back pack in the truck! It has my deer bag, Wyoming saw, rope, camera, extra knife, and a piece of plastic to lay meat on. All I had was my gun, shells, tag, and my RELH knife.

I hiked down the steep mountain and found him right where he was when I shot. A nice 3X3. Right through the heart like I planned. (yeah right):) I knew I didn't have enough daylight left to back track so I decided he would have to spend the night there. I've never done that before but the weather forecast was for mid 30's so I knew the meat would be fine. I just didn't relish the thought of leaving him for the coyotes, cats or bears.

After gutting him and tagging him I came up with a redneck buck leash.:D I used my belt to lash him to a sapling. (see photo) I also left my coat hanging above him.

I spent a restless night worrying but when I got back in the morning nothing had bothered him. Whew!

84692015buck001.jpg

The rest of the morning was more like work but very enjoyable and the meat was fine. I'm looking forward to some great eating.

Right through the heart. No wasted meat. I love it!

84132015buck005.jpg

91232015buck004.jpg

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-15 AT 01:00PM (MST)[p]A special thanks to RELH for making such a fine knife. What a pleasure it is to use. All went well until I accidentally touched the edge while boning out the last of the meat. (I almost made it:)).

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

Eel congrats on a very good blacktail. That deer is in good shape and will provide many a fine meal. As for touching the knife edge, my daughter in law calls that, "damn Hatfield knife" as she stands there with a bleeding cut on her fingers.

Everything worked out perfect. Wife still has her pet yard deer, you have some great venison after a great hunt. Life is good.

RELH

Far Frigging Out!!! Great Job Eel, that looks like a dandy Blacktail, your hard work and persistence paid off.

Congrats on a great Buck!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

when the wife went shopping...I'd whacked the one in your backyard too...(still have 2 deer tags there right?)

>...even a blind pig finds an
>acorn once in a while.....lol
>

And if there are only two acorns out there, it really feels good. lol

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

What kind of thing did you use to "hold up your pants" going back to the camp?? Great job Steve and congrats on a nice healthy BT for dinner for awhile now.

300 for b/t isn't that a bit overgunned...LOL

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

That's a fine deer for sure. Thanks for the pics and the write up. Glad you were rewarded for your hard work. And that is quite a leash you anchored him with. :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Great job eel!!!!

You're lucky you found a tree small enough for your belt!!!

And you are really lucky a turtle didn't catch you with your pants down!!!!!

Eel,
That's damn cool!
You had every right to be worried.
I'd bet the coat helped and the belt idea isn't too bad either.

I left a Coues deer over night (just once) and came back at first light to find just the skin and head. I found drag marks, tracks, hair and followed if 100 yards to the remains. I was as clean as if it was done by a skilled skinner. Bummer!

Zeke

Eel....super great congrats. A really nice blacktail, well deserved. Remember, backstraps, medium rare, lots of garlic...LOL.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Thanks for all the kind words!

heartshot, believe me, I kept checking my back trail.

A good friend of mine was kind of upset with me and pointed out the fine print on my tag. "Hunters 65+ should only shoot deer above and within sight of the road."

Eel

Nice job eel. He will be darn good eating. I've left a bunch of deer overnight. Had magpies get into one once but got there just in time before they did any real damage.

I'm curious though, what's a water bar? Do they only serve water there? :)

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

thanks eel. There are at least two things you have there that we don't. Trees and precipitation.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom