My 2010 Blacktail Deer Season

HunterHarry

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Sep-23-10 AT 07:18PM (MST)[p]

Just wrapped up my local 2010 Blacktailed deer season with my son.
The sights & sounds seem to get sweeter for me as time goes by.

An opening day sunrise deserves some appreciation.

IMG_2625.jpg

Thomas was the first to score this year with a 3x3 that forked on opposite sides.
He made a super 425 yard shot and anchored this guy in his tracks with his tried & true 7mm-08.

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

The country we hunt is very unforgiving, with a fairly low deer density and very little flat ground to be found.

IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

I passed on lots of little bucks this year, including several real good ones.
After bowhunting a long season unsuccessfully, I finally settled on this buck during rifle season.
The first shot at game with a gifted .257 weatherby put the smackdown on this 3x3 buck.
I was highly impressed with the long range killing power of the .257.
DOA at 337 yards.

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

A lot of boot leather was used until the next shot was fired by my son.

In between plenty of bucks were looked at.

IMG_2636.jpg

High up on a ridge overlooking the lake a shot rang out about mid morning.

My son had put down a real fine buck.
4x4 blacktails are a real prize in this unit.
This is my son's twelfth big game animal and his fourth four point blacktail.
The word proud don't have enough meaning.

IMG_2668.jpg

11-5.jpg

We stayed in the hills till dark that evening and hiked out to a gorgeous sunset.

IMG_2630.jpg

My son will be 18 in December and through all these years I've watched him progress as an outdoorsman.
There comes a time when the teacher must admit that the student has exceeded his own skills, now is that time for me.

I badly misjudged a buck with my final tag, but did the right thing and tagged the small 3 point ending my 2010 season.
Still I could not be happier.
Two weeks till we head to New Mexico for Thomas's youth muzzleloader elk hunt, our early blacktail seasons always seem to be a good primer for the fall hunts ahead
Till then, best to all....
HH

You must be proud HH. Thanks for sharing your season with us. Always love seeing your posts.

Great post! I really enjoyed it and thank you for sharing it with us. Congratulations to the two of you. What a great experience.

Beautiful blacktails. Those 4 x 4 are truley hard to come by. Nice work Harry. Trying to do that with my boys now.

HH,

I always like hearing yours and Thomas' stories. You have every right to be proud of this young Man.

If I remember right you are scheduled to become an official Geezer here shortly, one year behind me.

Good job Guys....Hey HH, is that Folsom ?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-10 AT 07:16AM (MST)[p]Thomas is 18 already??? Holy cow they grow up fast! Well savor that NM Youth Hunt - no more of them for him! Only big boy hunts now - looks like he has proven himself more than worthy.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom