My 2009 Nevada Desert Ram

N

nvbucks

After 26 years of applying I finally drew my dream tag - a resident desert bighorn in one of the best units in the state. I had a hunt of a lifetime! I enjoyed every day I spent preparing for the hunt and the reward for all the hard work was beyond my expectations. The memories and the time spent with my family and friends on this hunt will never be forgotten. The ram officially scores 172 6/8 net b&c.

1592ram-alive-posting-si.jpg

9920ram-laying-posting-s.jpg

9370ram-solo-email-and-p.jpg

8023ram-group-photo-1-em.jpg

5307ram-packout-colorcas.jpg

NV
That is persistence waiting 26 years! Plenty of people on this forum think 10 years is too long to wait for any animal. But your ram is truly a trophy of a lifetime, and I am sure the experience will be cherished to your grave! Congratulations!

Now you have "shown", how about more "tell"!

Beautiful Ram

>Great ram! so how did your
>deer hunt go? Didn't you
>have PIW tag this year?
>

Yes, I did have a PIW deer tag. I spent over 35 days in the field and had the opportunity to see some beautiful country and hundreds of bucks. I am pretty darn picky when it comes to my deer and with this tag I was after a toad or nothing. I thought I found the buck of a lifetime but he was over 1.5 miles away at the time. After getting closer to him he gave me a different viewing opportunity and to my disappointment he was busted off at the main beam on one side. His other side had 9 points plus an 8-9 inch drop tine. He would have been about 36" wide minimum and was had great mass. I had another opportunity in the unit closer to my home on a very nice 5x7 33" wide but we couldn't get him pushed far enough away from the residential area to take a legal shot. Overall, I had a blast with this tag although it carries alot of pressure with it. I am not disappointed I didn't harvest a buck. I had numerous opportunities to harvest a buck in the 170-180 range but they just weren't what I was after.
Taking a record book ram made the lack of not getting a deer that much easier to digest.

Thanks for the up-date on your deer hunt. I think the deer PIW tag would be the toughest unless you have alot of vacation time because there are nice bucks all over the state. And you could hunt them from Aug 1st to Dec 31st.

Congrats on the B&C ram I know what it is like to take one :)

hello Nevada ram hunter!

You were rewarded with a fantastic ram for sure! You were paid well for your efforts. CONGRATULATIONS!

I had to wait the same number of years +1 to draw in my home state of Utah!!! Many of OUR years were pre-point applications when hope was the only thing that kept us going! I think It's even a little sweeter. Right?

I hope that my kids are finally to the point where they would continue to apply when I finally drop-over (some people would like to see it sooner than later). My daughter drew in 9 short years. What's up with that?

Your ram is absolutely beautiful! Oh course, you already know that for sure.

We all appreciate you sharing your precious experience with us.
Very cool.

Thanks for sharing the before, during and after the kill photos! Great quality pix too.

Zeke

Wow....that is an awesome ram. That is a HUGE looking 172 ram. I am fortunate to have taken a 169-4/8" desert ram and yours looks 10+" bigger...great, great ram. Congratulations.

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>hello Nevada ram hunter!
>
>You were rewarded with a fantastic
>ram for sure! You were
>paid well for your efforts.
>CONGRATULATIONS!
>
>I had to wait the same
>number of years +1 to
>draw in my home state
>of Utah!!! Many of OUR
>years were pre-point applications when
>hope was the only thing
>that kept us going! I
>think It's even a little
>sweeter. Right?
>
>I hope that my kids are
>finally to the point where
>they would continue to apply
>when I finally drop-over (some
>people would like to see
>it sooner than later). My
>daughter drew in 9 short
>years. What's up with that?
>
>
>Your ram is absolutely beautiful! Oh
>course, you already know that
>for sure.
>
>We all appreciate you sharing your
>precious experience with us.
>Very cool.
>
>Thanks for sharing the before, during
>and after the kill photos!
>Great quality pix too.
>
>Zeke

Thanks to everyone for all of the nice comments. I wanted to post him so other people could enjoy him as well. I felt he was such a true trophy both on the mountain and afterwards that he deserved to be seen and admired by others. I think the story of the hunt and all the details will be hopefully coming up in a future Huntin Fool Magazine. What is ironic about this ram is that my brother harvested one in '06 in the same unit and it netted 173 2/8". His ram has the same similar box look with flared horns.

>Wow....that is an awesome ram. That
>is a HUGE looking 172
>ram. I am fortunate to
>have taken a 169-4/8" desert
>ram and yours looks 10+"
>bigger...great, great ram. Congratulations.
>
>
>great post/pic, thanks for sharing
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Yes, this ram had a definite look about him on the mountain and there was no way I was passing him up. The horn structure he had with the box curl was everything I was after. We were fortunate to find him on our first day of scouting 6 days before the start of the season. We got great video of him and were able to study him from every angle. We knew he would be in the 172-174 range depending on this final base measurement. He actually grossed 174 even so we were pretty darn close.

>What did he age at??
>He sure carries his mass
>well, what a desert monarch.
>

He was actually only 7 1/2 years old. In looking at this growth rings, he would have been a monster by the time he was 9 to 10. However, he had a large split on one of his sheaths at the end and I think he would have lost that portion of his horn in the next year or so.

WOW any time you get that curl high and tight is spectacular. As a non-res I'd like to know what unit you were in? You did say it was the best unit in the State, but can non-res apply for that unit?

WOW.....A REALLY IMPRESSIVE HUNT PLAN THAT CAME TOGATHER...AND A BIG TIME RAM TO BOOT. CONGRATS & THANKS FOR THE PICS. YD.

Beautiful ram. A hardy congrats on taking a super sheep after so many years of applying.

------------------
DRSS

I don't think so. My wife's cousin lives in ID but I don't think he was hunting goats this year.

its all public information Troy, I'm sure you know that And i do believe it is the best sheep zone in the state, I live in the zone and watch sheep there all summer long, just hope to get lucky some day and draw myself.

" Just Livin' the Dream "

Just sent in my apps, this is my 26th year hopefully that is the lucky number. Congrats on a great ram !

Thank you very much and I wish you and slamless good luck in the draw. Should be another great year for Nevada Deserts. By the way the story that some were asking about just came out in HuntinFool's April edition.

Good luck again with the draw! Let me know if you were successful

>Great Ram!
>It is my 26th year of
>Nevada sheep apps. this year
>also.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom