Muzzleloader Elk Meat

just_a_hunter

I managed to get a nice cow with my Muzzleloader... Would have been real handy to have a bull tag as the herd bull was a smoker... The tag was in a premium area in NW Colorado.

KJTlEpgh.jpg

PN7ArM7h.jpg

XDgujfCh.jpg

PJPoulVh.jpg

For those interested, this .50 cal T/C Hawken has a 1-28” Green Mountain LRH barrel. I used 110 gr GOEX 2f and 338 gr Powerbelt Platnum to take the elk. I haven't been a Powerbelt fan at all. I was going to use the 290 Hornady Bore Driver but these Powerbelts Shot a bit more accurately out of my Hawken and were way easier to load on follow up shots using Goex 2F. I was impressed with the terminal performance of these particular 338 grain Platnum bullets. Shot was 85 yards quartering too. It Broke the shoulder and got all the goodies, but did not exit. It didn’t need too. FYI..

Good luck this season!

Todd

I managed to get a nice cow with my Muzzleloader... Would have been real handy to have a bull tag as the herd bull was a smoker... The tag was in a premium area in NW Colorado.

KJTlEpgh.jpg

PN7ArM7h.jpg

XDgujfCh.jpg

PJPoulVh.jpg

For those interested, this .50 cal T/C Hawken has a 1-28” Green Mountain LRH barrel. I used 110 gr GOEX 2f and 338 gr Powerbelt Platnum to take the elk. I haven't been a Powerbelt fan at all. I was going to use the 290 Hornady Bore Driver but these Powerbelts Shot a bit more accurately out of my Hawken and were way easier to load on follow up shots using Goex 2F. I was impressed with the terminal performance of these particular 338 grain Platnum bullets. Shot was 85 yards quartering too. It Broke the shoulder and got all the goodies, but did not exit. It didn’t need too. FYI..

Good luck this season!

Todd
Please teach me.
I acquired a Hawken late last year hoping Utah would adopt Idaho’s muzzy regs.
Utah did not, but I am hoping we will soon so I am hanging on to the Hawken.
Question: How do you know it had the Green Mountain barrel?
Is that from the factory or did you upgrade the barrel?
Thanks!

Please teach me.
Thanks!
See the proof mark before the 50 Cal? That is Green Mountains Logo.
IMG_8393.jpeg

Outstanding! Thats what I like about cow hunting in premium units. You get to see some great bulls on the hoof. I did 2 cow hunts in Unit 2 before I drew my bull tag there and each hunt was a great experience. Thats is a stud of a bull.

Please teach me.
Thanks!

The Green Mountain Long Range Hunter barrels are an aftermarket upgrade. Unfortunately, they are no longer produced and are highly desirable. If you keep a close eye out and scour the interwebs, you can find them but be ready to bust out the checkbook. That said, I have had great luck with the T/C standard 1/48” twist barrels shooting bullets really well.

Todd

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom