Multi-Season Deer Hunt

cannonball

Very Active Member
Now that the application time is past, how many of you put in for the multi-season limited entry deer hunt vs the regular limited entry hunts?

I've been puttin in for a Book Cliffs rifle tag for 12 years now. I was one of the unfortunate guys in the 10 bonus point pool for the South Rifle deer out there last year who didn't draw the tag... Out of 31 guys in that pool, I was one of 7 who didn't draw it...

Now I couldn't be happier I didn't draw. I put in for the multi-season tag in the Books and I think my chances are good. I'm now at the top of the points pool for those that have shown interest in that unit. I also happen to have built up plenty of vacation days so I can dedicate time to more than one season where other guys can't. Additionally, guys who have even 1 point more than me are likely to stick with whatever other unit and hunt they have been putting in for for all these years...

So, I'm feelin lucky. 11 LE points, BC Multi Season Deer. Come on baby..!

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I glanced at the multi-season premium hunts but decided I'd rather semi-guarantee my chances of actually drawing and hunting LE deer this year.
Maybe lots of guys feel the same as me and the odds won't be too bad for the multiple season tags.... this year.
Good luck,
Zeke

My older brother did the multi-season hunt on the Henry Mountains. I think he only had like 15 points this year. It is a long shot, but he is building a house and wanted some flexibility in his hunting seasons.

Dillon
www.dillonhoyt.com

I moved mine from the Pauns management hunt to the regular hunt thinking the multi-season would be filled right to the brim. Now I wished I would have gone with that hunt.

It's so hard to second-guess what others are going to do. We've all fallen under the spell of trying to figure out what someone else is doing!
One thing to remember, not everyone has time to do justice to a multi tag. Most guys are lucky to hunt most of just one season!
Good luck.
Zeke

RE: Multi-Season Deer Hunts

Moving to the regular hunt may have been a great move Cannonball. How many points did you have..?

I'd say there will be many guys that were once in the regular rifle pool approaching or having max points who will jump to the Multi a season hunt now... So this is a good year to jump into the regular rifle pools if you have decent points.

As an example, because I had max points for a Book Cliffs rifle, I jumped to the Multi Season tag, leaving a bonus tag for someone else with one or even two points less than me.

Good luck. I hate waiting 6 weeks to find out.

But but but.... Are these ADDITIONAL tags or do they come off the top of the total allotted tag numbers?

Your thinking is correct, Rage, IF they're additional tags. Not so correct if they cut into the total allocation.

I don't have the answer, hence, the question.

Zeke

Browning, I don't have enough points to even worry about and I am in that group of seniors that are guaranteed 30% of the management hunt permits, but after taking all the applicants and the permits available the regular rifle pauns hunts showed the odds would go up by changing. I am just trying to work the odds.

I think what they have said that these small percentage tags are taken away from the other three limited entry tag numbers.

I cannot see how this will slow down the point creep and I thought that was their intent. The only thing that will do that is when we have to apply for one hunt for deer (which may include elk). Then watch the sparks fly.

Well, wait a minute guys.
This move might actually move some of the guys out of the top points pools since the regular and the multi season will be 50/50 split with regard to bonus v random tags.
I might have to digest this thought to see how it would really work out.
I guess we'll all know AFTER the drawing odds are posted.
I wish the F&G would post odds as quickly as other States!!!
Zeke

Can't sustain an improvement of the odds if they are going to reduce the limited units to cover this hunt.

That being said, the place it would improve the odds is those like the Zion's late ML hunt. They should have late limited entry hunts on most units. I think that would help some on the creep. I certainly would put in for one of those limited entry hunts rather than the Pauns unit.

So, first off, my high hope for a multi-season hunt is based solely on the idea that anyone who has not been putting in for the Book Cliffs rifle probably won't jump from another unit over to the Book Cliffs simply because they get to hunt all seasons. I'm guessing the draw for the MultiSeason tag will have plenty of guys with fewer points than me. Fingers crossed

I don't think the multiseason tag is meant to help the point creep all that much. It will move probably 10% of applicants out of the other 3 seasons for those units, but that's about it. So point creep may start to be reduced a little.

The new late season Muzzy hunts will do the same. I think plenty of guys with very low points will be putting in for those hunts because they'll never get to the bonus tags in any of the other LE hunts. Tacked on with the multi season hunts, point creep may start to level off a bit.

I think it'll take a few more LE opportunities before the point creep really levels off... That AND having to choose between putting in for LImited Entry OR general season would really reduce the point creep.

We can't have our cake and eat it too. :)

Well, the RAC meeting numbers look good for me. They are recommending 13 multi-season permits in the Book Cliffs. As one of 7 guys with 11 points that put in there last year, I'm thinking my chances are good..!!

Ya Rage, I saw that. You might be "money".
Some of the numbers were interesting but most were about like they always are.
Good luck,
Zeke

My son put in for oak creek multi season with 11 pts because he is a college student and can only hunt the weekends

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom