Mule Deer: Something to thing about

AWHOLELOTTABULL

Long Time Member
A friend of mine sent me this and asked if I would post it up here. He has been involved with mule deer conservation since before I shot my first gun. I trust his information and support it wholeheartedly. I honestly think this warrants some serious support from sportsmen and women across the state! For all you conservation organization opponents, this is what you've been asking for. It is a sportsmans voice for conservation without a fee or a free knife or a magazine for your membership. These sportsmen and women post this for one reason and one reason only. Read it and then you can decide what that reason is.

And I quote:

"Last year the sportsmen in South East and Southern Regions became alarmed at the continued decline of the deer herds on the public lands found in there regions. Some of these folks started asking each other if there was any chance anything could be done. Many were concerned that a new five year mule deer plan has been adopted but were still fearful the plan was not going to stop the decline in the southern herds. After much discussion with sportsmen from Price, GreenRiver, Mt. Pleasant, Moab, Monticello, Blanding, St. George, Kanab, Beaver, Cedar City, Delta, Richfield, Fillmore, Nephi, Salina, Monroe, Panguitch and Parawan it became clear that hunters concerns had shifted.

Back in the 1980 and 1900 the sportsmen from the communities were seeing thousands upon thousands of deer on the southern public lands. In Dec and January a trip from Nephi to Gunnison in early morning or late evening people could see between 2 and 3 thousand deer feeding east of the highway, against the foothills. The same was true between Fillmore and Cedar City. If there was 100 deer there were 2 to 4 thousand. A winter drive down highway 89 from Salina to Panguitch was the same give or take a few hundred deer. The winter range of the Fishlake and the Monroe held thousand of deer.

However, there was a problem, hunters were harvesting 60,000 to 80,000 bucks per year during those years. The herds of deer, by official counts done by the DWR, not computer models, but field counts, reported many of these areas held a ration of 1.5 to 5 buck per hundred doe and the fawn to doe ratios were falling. BLM and Forest Service biologist came to sportsmen and said: "the Federal Agencies are not allowed to give big game recommendations except to say if the habitat is been over used by big game but you should know that you have an unhealthy deer herd and you'd better put some pressure on your State Agency to correct these skewed ratios or you a going to loose your herds."

At the same time (remember Governor Leavitt completely re-organized the DWR right after he was elected, as a result of sportsmen dissatisfaction, he replaced the directors, reassigned the big game supervisor (Anis's position), in all some 30 or 40 DNR and DWR administrators and managers were forced to retire, leave or take a different job within the Agency. Hunting license sales had dropped from a high of 228,907 in 1983, to 140,701 in 1993. Remember, these 88,206 hunters quite hunting, not because they couldn't hunt but because they lost the desire to hunt. In those years deer tags were sold over the counter, the DWR sold a deer tag to anyone and everyone that had $15.00. Hunters were so dissatisfied they just "gave up". This took place for one reason, thousand of does, it could be argued there where over a million deer in Utah at that time, (not the 600,000 they use as the number we had, now) but there were so few bucks it was driving sportsmen crazy. If you think Utah is a pumpkin patch now, imagine 228,000 hunters, talk about a gauntlet for bucks to live through, it was impossible, and every one knew it. They knew it because they would see from 300 to 600 deer a day and "few or no bucks".

Now to the point. In those days sportsmen wanted more bucks, more bucks to breed the does and raise the falling fawn/doe ratio. More bucks to harvest.

That is not what Southern and Southeast sportsmen are asking the DWR for today, in spite of what their current campaign is claiming. Now, more harvest and higher buck doe ratios are the least is that what the sportsmen from these Southern communities are asking for.

These sportsmen went to the two Southern RAC and the Wildlife Board last year and basically said this.

We are very fearful that we are loosing our entire deer herd. We think there are so many things that are causing the decline that we cannot identify a single cause because we think it is because of a lot of different reasons. What's more, we think there are different reason for the decline in all the different herds. One herd my be loosing deer to highway/freeway traffic, another herd is not effected by highways at all. Another herd may have excess predation from coyotes, an other herd, not. One herd may have no areas to escape hunter pressure because the entire unit is covered in road and atv trails, another her, not. Therefore, we think the only way we can address this complicated environment is to attempt to address the unique needs of each herd independently, in other words, individual herd unit management.

Secondly, sportsmen knew that some units might need reduced hunting pressure, they knew that that would reduce hunter opportunity. They also knew that fewer hunters would mean that we would have to hold harmless the revenue for the DWR and said as much, suggesting that the cost of hunting deer may have to increase if we were going to grow these herds. These sportsmen, with children and youth hunters too, decided it was worth the extra cost of a permit and the lost of some hunting opportunity, at least until the herds could be grown to produce more does, more fawns, which in turn would provide more bucks that could eventually be harvested.

It was not about more inches, more trophies, it was 100% about growing deer herds. While there may be less habitat in northern Utah due to development, there is not less habitat in the Southern and South East Regions. Southern sportsmen believe southern herds can and should be increased in numbers.

If the northern sportsmen, the northern landowners and the State's archery organizations are so sure there are surplus deer in northern Utah and if they accept the DWR claims, as they claim they do. If the northern sportsmen think that their units are not able to sustain more does and fawns, if they think they have enough bucks in their herds, the southern sportsmen have no quarrel with the northern sportsmen. The northern sportsmen know their environment and the conditions of their herds better than the southern sportsmen could possibly know. So if they have all they want and can have, they should continue to manage their herds and manage their hunters as they currently are.

As for the southern sportsmen, they want more deer, more natural ratios and sufficient fawn production and survival to increase our deer numbers.

Therefore we would call on all sportsmen in the State to support the southern sportsmen to petition the Wildlife Board to implement herd unit management of our deer. Let the northern unit alone, if that is best for them and for northern hunter but please support the southern regions in what they believe to be necessary to make sure we have a deer herd to hunt for our children and grandchildren.

There is no leadership in this movement, there are no meetings to attend or planning to be done, there are no memberships, no fees to pay, nothing to join or belong to, they are not a special interest group, you will not find anyone to approach or contact to get an "official statement" it has a nothing to do with SFW, MDF, or other organizations have not been contacted or asked for support, they are just a lot of people with a lot of different ideas that are convinced that we have come to a place in time when we must manage our deer more individually and more aggressively. The southern sportsmen will make that very clear to the southern RACs and to the Wildlife Board.

Southern sportsmen hope the northern sportsmen will accept our position as we accept and appreciate theirs. We look forward to a united effort at the remaining RAC meeting and the WildLife Board meeting in December.

Thank you for your understanding and support.
Utah's Unorganized and Undefined Sportsmen and Women"

This sounds like common sense to me, and as a "southern sportsman" I can whole heartedly agree with this. I too believe that we have the habitat, and the winter range to support many, many thousands more deer than we currently have.

I also believe we need to manage our individual deer herds according to their respective needs.

I am tired of watching every hunter with a so. region tag show up on the sand dunes when it snows to kill a buck. It's time to manage each herd within it's respective range, and to manage the hunters within that respective range as well.

DeerBeDead

GET IT DONE SOUTHERN REGION!!! Maybe in future years the Southern Regions will have some excess deer and they can borrow them to us up here in the Northern Region!

There are not enough deer in Utah...FOR REAL.

the northern unit is primarley private with 73 cwmu's so all the places that have low deer numbers you can't hunt anymore because of the cwmu program. you will hear how great it is for 1 or 2 hunters. but everyone forgetts what it has done to the public ground overcrowding which pushes the game into all the privat land. people used to hunt all this private ground before all the cwmu's it might not be open to the public but it was open to alot more then than now.
the dnr at the norhtern rack said if the cwmu does a ninty ten split they get 90% of the tags we get 10. then we the public get all the cow and doe tags yepy we get to hunt skin heads on all this private land. but 1 public hunter gets to hunt bucks bulls. I asked one of the cwmu operators if he would let me kill coyotes on his leases and he said no because he didn't know what we would be shooting. the land owners before would let anyone kill coyotes but not now I just don't see how the dnr is makeing it better for the public all I see is that they are makeing it better for the high dollar guys.

I agree, we need to make it known that the Southern sportsman want our units managed more closely and into smaller units even if the others do not elect to do so. I am with you all the way!!

I agree with this.Each herd needs to be managed to there pacific needs.I hope this is done in upcoming meetings.WE just need more Of us to show up to Racs and voice this plan.Spread the word!!

Nice information. I hope the Rac's get on aboard.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-10 AT 10:09AM (MST)[p]Then I guess all the southern boys will end up in the northern part of the state since they won't be able to draw a southern tag but once a decade.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

"If the northern sportsmen, the northern landowners and the State's archery organizations are so sure there are surplus deer in northern Utah and if they accept the DWR claims, as they claim they do. If the northern sportsmen think that their units are not able to sustain more does and fawns, if they think they have enough bucks in their herds, the southern sportsmen have no quarrel with the northern sportsmen."

So here we have the South wanting to develop their own State once again.

Why would " The States Archery Organizations " matter if this attempt was about anything more than keeping us Northern Scum
out of the promised land of Zion South of Payson???

This is just another attempt to divide and conquer. Nothing more. North vs South. Rifle vs Bow. You Northern Boys manage how you see fit but leave the Republic of South Deseret alone.. Until we want to hunt moose, or don't draw a permit down south or want
any of your Habitat Money, Pittman Robertson Funding, or Firemen to put out the fires every year.

As I've said from the beginning... Unless you take drastic steps like turning EVERYTHING SOUTH OF PAYSON in to the Henry's Mountain unit you won't accomplish much.

Focus on growing more deer

Wiley,
I am nominating that for post of the
century on Monster Muleys!

Your are spot on.

Wiley,
Answer this. Will managing our herds in a more focused and unit specific manner not be better than managing them as a whole. Each unit has it's weakness and strengths? Nobody is asking for the Henrys just a healthier herd with specific managment plans to address each issue?

Alpine,
According to most anti micro unit followers, the number of hunters has no effect on the deer herds. So why on earth would they care if all 97,000 hunters are placed North of Payson every year. Most will just be lazy road hunters that won't bother any of the big bucks you and followers chase? I am really think about pushing for either sex for the entire Northern Region from now on. That would keep the masses close to the roads and they would tag out quicker leaving big bucks to rest of us that are willing to get back in there and really hunt.

There are not enough deer in Utah...FOR REAL.

Alpine,

Funny you say that.

I finally convinced 3 other cousins from Washington County to hunt up north on the off year. I've been working on them for 5 years to try it.

We had a fun opening morning. One guy filled his first tag in 15. It was a 2 point, but I've never been so relieved. Couldh't bear the thought of him going home empty handed again. The other two guys passed some little ones and killed a 3x4. We were on the road home by the time the rain came in the afternoon.

Southern hunters can only take back their region if they start buying northern tags and creating a shortage up there.

_73 Thats a valid question.

Under the Current Statewide Mule Deer Plan we are required to manage this way. We made adjustments to the Oquirrh Unit last year without affecting the whole Central Region. Under the Options proposed this year the chronically struggling units will go to a LE Status until buck to doe ratio's meet 15 - 100. No debate from anyone IT WILL HAPPEN. Was I clear?? Not being a plick but very few of you understand that we have the ability to
take these kind of measures NOW without going to 29 units.

After reading between the lines of post one I can pretty much
guarantee that this is another attempt to divide Northern Hunters
from Southern Hunters. This has been going on in one form or another for several years. The kicker of the whole deal in going to the 29 unit deal is that all of the units that are going to displace hunters are in the Northern portion of the state. So our
friends from Southern Utah have just shot themselves in the foot
when it comes to drawing odds. All of the hunters that are going to be forced to choose a new area are headed South. The Southern part of the state that has herds above management objective of whatever plan is picked WILL DEFINITELY SEE MORE PERMITS ALLOCATED FOR THESE UNITS. Was I clear again?? Not being a plick
just making sure you all understand what is GOING TO HAPPEN.

That being said we won't see any or much improvement in the perceived pressure down south because of the shift of displaced hunters headed to the Southern Units. This will in turn make them push just that much more to further reduce hunters and keep up with this failed philosophy of cutting buck hunter numbers.

But it gets worse from there. Lifetime License holders, Dedicated Hunters, youth and non resident hunters are going to
be in competition for these units as well as those that have effectively shot themselves in the ass in trying to keep us evil Northerners out of the promised land. Lifetime License Holders will get their tags no questions asked. Dedicated Hunters will get their tags or the program will end. Youth will have to draw as well as non residents. Still Clear??

The above is just the social and political reality of what you are all in favor of. You won't listen to any Biological fact so continuing to have that discussion will only give me a headache.

I have challenged you to verify all of this for yourself

Wiley,

Your are spot on.

wiley and alpine - I know you guys are stick flippers and member of BOU and UBA. Me too. I also realize that bowhunters don't want to see the statewide archery go away to unit specific. Me too. BUT, I'm more concerned with what our future holds not how many bowhunts I can go on before I die. If we have to sacrifice that little piece of the pie to recover some deer then why not do it. Are we really that selfish? While I believe that archery is a good management tool for providing more opportunity while keeping harvest numbers at a reasonable level, I am NOT opposed to having to apply for a specific unit with several backup choices on my application. I have been doing it in Colorado for many years and it has provided some awesome hunting experiences over the years. This isn't about immediate opportunity any more boys and girls, it's about salvaging what little we have and improving deer numbers. I don't care about buck to doe ratios at this point, lets just focus on the deer numbers. That letter has nothing to do with North vs South. It's about managing individual deer herds. If I read wiley's comments right, you think the entire state should be managed the same. The habitat, winter range, highway traffic and hunting pressure are identical statewide. If that's the case then lets stay with the current plan. You and I both know that's BS. There is a HUGE difference. It makes no sense to manage the entire state the same. And that's exactly what we've been doing. Wiley, I have read your comments before on a lot of issues and I agree with you on most. You have brought some great ideas to the table. Alpine on the other hand, buddy, I haven't seen you suggest anything yet. Just disagree with others. Am I missing something here? Time to stop fighting boys and tighten up the jock straps. If we don't fight now it's over very shortly.

It's always an adventure!!!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-10 AT 06:47PM (MST)[p] Thanks for the kind words Mr. H.

I do not think the entire state should be managed
the same... Ya can't do it and currently they are not doing it.
I don't know how many times I have to say it, hell maybe I'm typing in Spanish here cause I've said it several times. We currently manage on a micro level. If we were not you wouldn't have see the adjustments to the struggling units in the state that happened last year on the Oquirrhs and Cache just to name a couple. You won't see anything different under the 29 unit plan
than you will right now. The Units above objective will have just as many, if not more tags under 29 units. Unfortunately several of these units above objective are in the Southern Portion of the state which will make those down there piss and moan even more.

jim this is a North vs South deal or the author of the letter wouldn't have brought up the "Bowhunting Orgs" that need to hunt statewide. Or the "Northern Landowners." I respectfully ask you to see this for what it is. It's a Tom Hatch Keele Johnson attempt to divide and conquer

Being selfish has nothing to do with it. I'd hang the bow up right now and never hunt in Utah again if it was BIOLOGICALLY WARRANTED!!! I'd be happy to even pick a region or hell for that matter a Micro Unit if this method had one ounce of BIOLOGICAL VALUE. It Don't and it won't work.

Now, you know as damn well as I do that once this deal happens,
for better or worse it ain't going away. Never. AND THERE WILL BE NO PAYOFF OTHER THAN TAKING BUCK HUNTERS OUT OF THE HILLS.

I'LL SAY IT AGAIN THIS PATH OF MANAGEMENT HASN'T WORKED SINCE 1994 AND IT WON'T WORK NOW. You have a model thats been in effect for over a decade and a half.

IT WONT WORK

Wiley,

Your are spot on.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-10 AT 08:57PM (MST)[p]Just want to say thanks for the post awholelotabull. This has been the most intelligent discussion I've seen on MM. You all have some really good points.

One question.... why the hell is it that Utah is the only state that seems to be struggling with this issue?

Piss poor management in my opinion. And yes Wiley I'm old enough to remember when Utah had the largest Mule Deer herd in the world.

I'm also old enough to have witnessed a 30 year decline in the deer population.

Nothing is going to be accomplished if the recovery is going to be turned into a north vs south debate.

It will never be the same but with proper micro management we may see some recovery in a few years.

I sure hope so for the sake of my grandkids... I don't really care for myself. I was lucky enough to see the really incredible times when there was literally hundreds of thousands deer in this state.

Slick

SLICK then you are old enough to remember when 1080 went away also..

Piss Poor management is trying to grow deer herds by attacking the least effective BUCK ONLY consumer in the entire equation.

Jim and Slick 60 thats right a whopping total of 60 cats will take more deer of any sex than EVERY ARCHERY HUNTER IN UTAH WILL TAKE BUCKS ONLY.

Keep following this path and in 13 months or for that matter 13 years and you will be in exactly the same place.

What you are trying to do is a biological impossibility.
To grow deer in this way you'd be issuing 5000 tags statewide.

To claim that Utah has the only mule deer herd in decline is blatantly dishonest if not an outright lie.

More myth and fantasy.

Wiley,

Your are spot on.

SLICK "stick flippers" ain't asking for squat this year are they??

Lets go back to you statement about how well this mythical management philosophy will grow more deer.

From Colorado's Book Cliff unit management plan

"The Bookcliffs deer herd was very low at the turn of the century, but rebounded
dramatically through the 1950s and 1960s.
Deer populations in DAU D-11 continued to generally increase and were relatively high
until the 1990?s. Since that time, the herd has shown a steady decline. The decline of
this herd mirrored the falling numbers in most mule deer populations throughout
Colorado and the Western U.S., although it was more dramatic in this instance, and has
been more prolonged. Current models estimate a population of 8,600 deer.
The CDOW has conducted aerial sex and age composition surveys in D-11 since 1981.
Early records in the 1980?s show that total buck: doe ratios were around 15 bucks: 100
does. These ratios have steadily increased to recent levels of 25-30 bucks: 100 does,
in large part due to totally limited male licenses implemented in 1995. The average
buck: doe ratio in the DAU for the last 22 years is 19.6 bucks: 100 does. Post-hunt
classifications in 2004 estimated 27.2 bucks: 100 does.
The post-hunt fawn: doe ratios are indicators of how successful the reproduction was for
the past spring and how well fawns survived until December. This is a critical indicator
of the condition of the herd. Fawn production in the DAU has been good over the years
generally remaining between 50 and 70 fawns: 100 does. Since 1992, however, fawn
production has been virtually static at 40-45 fawns: 100 does.
Deer harvest in the DAU D-11 has changed substantially over time, peaking in the late
1980?s and early 1990?s, followed by dramatic reductions, particularly since 1996. Prior
to 1996 hunters averaged a harvest of about 1500 deer a year. Since 1996, an average
of 452 deer was harvested each year.

So in the imaginary fairy land of mule deer that is Colorado
we've been micromanaging with the typical result of raising buck to doe ratio's while reducing harvest by 2/3 and the herds are still in decline.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdon...B088-7852245493DE/0/D11DAUPlan_Bookcliffs.pdf

There's the link SLICK tell me how well this type of management works in a state with 10 times the habitat and private land escapement that doesn't compare with Utah.

Where is the dramatic increases the micro management myth is supposed to provide???

Wiley,

Your are spot on.

ww - don't you think that dipersing pressure would help. I 100% agree with your cat numbers and I really believe that predation is a huge part of the problem, however, like I've said before, if we are going to help our deer herds out it has to be a full blown, gloves off assault. You can't dable anymore. I honestly don't think we can stay with a 5 region plan. We have had 5 regions for a long time now and it's obviously not the way.

I will pose this question, if the 5 region plan hasn't worked and you don't think the 29 unit plan won't work, then what do you propose. Forget about the predation. We agree on that one. I think the difference in our oppinion lies with how to address the pressure issue. Like I said before, I respect your oppinion so I am interested in what you think.

It's always an adventure!!!

If I couldn't start with predators, access would be next.
Part of quality habitat includes un-fragmented areas of escapement.

We don't need a road on every ridge.

Wiley,

Your are spot on.

Bull and I used to hunt alot of geese together around Yuba, we seen those deer by the hundreds in the late 80s early 90s.You would have to leave an hour early, just to get were we needed to be.You could go about 45mph,and now its 65 and you're lucky to see maybe 20 head.That habitat has'nt changed, it's still the same.So whats changed? The toll of cars, predators,man,and the dwr mismangemnet of this area.Thats MHO.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom