mule deer region 7

Z

z90

I will be applying for a non resident buck tag for region 7 next fall. Just curious as to where a good spot to start scouting would be. I am kinda familiar with the area as i antelope hunt by ekalaka. I also plan on coming out to scout for a week next summer. Any help or ideas would be great! Thanks guys

You're off to a good start near Ekalaka. Any place far from the road is a good bet in my opinion.

I have hunted that area for over 10 years and I have given up and have had better luck other places. Its hard to find big bucks unless you have someone who will let you on there(private) place. It has been over run with hunters because of Fish and Game letters to hunter telling them of the area and tv shows. I am not saying you can't find a quality buck but good luck!!

Most of region 7 is in good shape with good deer numbers, but district 705 took a pounding by three late storms in late March. Over 3 foot of snow in some areas with high winds. The deer where down in the draws and creek banks to get out of the wind, and were covered by deep snow, trapping and starving them. It was hardest on the fawns and older bucks and does. This happened right when the deer were coming out of winter and in their weakest state. Massive winter kill in district 705. Airial surveys showed some of the lowest counts in this district in years.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom