Moving to Az

N

Nim

Hello I am moving to Az { Mohave county } at the end of next month what is there to hunt around here that you dont need a tag or get drawn for? Yoties maby? Nim

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-10 AT 01:01AM (MST)[p]Kingman, Golden Valley ares. I dont have a DFG hunting guide when does archery season start?

Nim

http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/h_f/regulations/HuntingRegulations10-11.pdf

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Consider getting the Lifetime Hunting License once you are eligible. The license allows you to apply for hunting draws in the resident pool (has 90% of the tags) even if later are no longer an AZ resident though you will pay non-res tag prices if no longer a resident.

Wait five years before buying a lifetime license. Chances are if you stay that long you'll stay forever but there's always a chance you wont stay , especially if you like to hunt a lot and catch fish other than stockers .

If you're picking between the two communities you posted, Kingman would win that contest by a million miles and a significant 5+ degrees in the summer. There's plenty of hunting opportunity but you'd better bring a job along as times are tough on the job market in these parts right now. REAL TOUGH!

I do hope you have a job in order, but that is the case with any place in America today. Fishing at Lake Mead, Mohave, and Lake Havasu can be good all within a short drive. The mountain areas of Williams and Flagstaff are about 2 hours. You will be closer than any of the Phoenix area guys to great Elk, Antelope, Sheep, and Deer hunting. It is not as hot as Phoenix but it will reach low 100's. The wind will blow but that happens all across Northern Arizona. Be ready for alot of hardcore hunters in this town, make a few friends and you will enjoy it.

Good quail hunting oct-feb, should be a good year. Get good with a bow if you are not already, archery deer is still over the counter in most areas and has two seasons in august and in dec-jan. Lots of yotes near golden valley. Like others said, close to some of the best sheep (backyard) and elk units in state. Doves in september are good, birds should be great this year from what I've seen. I've been here in BHC for 20+ years plus, welcome to Hell, hope your truck has good AC!

AZ has excellent dove and quail hunting, in places. The elk hunting is the best...if you ever get drawn.

Now, everybody has been commenting on the heat. I sorta expect that you'd heard of the AZ heat....duhhhhh. Well, your area will indeed be warm, and there won't be a lot of vegetation to cool it off. In fact, that is pretty darn close to being one of the hottest areas of the state. BUT, BUT, it won't be like Phoenix or LAs Vegas in that there will be nothing to keep the temps up (No Asphalt or concrete). Also, I expect that it has more elevation than Phoenix (which is about 1,200') So, in short, except for June July and August, once the sun starts getting low in the sky (about 6p) then it will start cooling off. Yes Julys have their "dog' days...when it is hotter than hrll and doesn't cool off. But, after your first winter, summers will come to be do-able.

I grew up in Yuma, where Twain wrote, in "Roughing It" That, "A Ft Yuma Trooper died and went to hell, and shortly afterwards he sent word that he needed his blanket." or something like that.

Once, it almost got to a hundred...but at about 5am, the sun started coming back up.

If you fish the river, in places it is too cold to swim in...as the water comes out from the bottom of the dam. (like below Davis Dam near Bullhead City). Mead has some excellent fishing.

The Hualapis, one of AZ's Sky Islands (the mts S of Kingman) would make an excellent refuge. AZ has islands of mts that go up to 9-12,000 ft. You'll go through several life zones on the way to the top of em. The Army used a heliograph system to send messages all over the state using about 10 of em. I don't know the elevation, but I would expect that it is about 9.5K...pines, snow...did you see the last "Tombstone" movie...they didn't make up the pines. In that area it would be "Rustlers Park" (extra credit there).

Las Vegas has mts...over 11,000 feet of em. So, I would expect that you'll find all sorts of neat areas in the area to get out of the heat. Also, I'd expect that snow is not all that unheard of there...just like in Tucson (which has been known to get 6-8 inches).

On the snow frequency, I'd expect that a normal year is once. The extreme is 3X, and usually you'd go 3-5 years w/o it. I lived 200 miles S of there, at 1,800, and we saw it on the 5k mts at about that interval.

I'd say, that if you can tolerate small town life...that you've made a good pick.

John 14:6

I live in Kingman,the areas I go to are sweet.If you like the outdoors this is a good spot to be.If you like fishin,horn huntin,elk,deer hunting plus looking for arrowheads this is it.

Also remember AZ strip is here in THIS COUNTY,fun place to camp and explore,or hunt if you get lucky enough.what town are you coming from?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-10 AT 10:34PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-10 AT 12:59?PM (MST)

For what it is worth; Page, Williams, Show Low & Kingman were all listed on Outdoor Life's Top Places to live for outdoorsmen.

If you are looking at hunting in Mohave County just beware of the checker boarded land and rural subdivisions. It is a major issue when you are trying to access some of this country. Most of the ranches have been sold to developers and then the grazing rights are bought again but the country gets all carved up. YOU WILL SEE A TON OF NO HUNTING & TRESPASSING SIGNS!

With this being said, you are with in 45 minutes of the Colorado River System, which includes Lake Mead, Lake Mohave & Lake Havasu. Some very good fishing! Some of the worlds biggest elk & antelope are 1 hour away. Mohave County use to have the largest desert bighorn sheep population in the world (Black Mountains 25 mins. from your door) but the numbers and size of animals have decreased. The Strip & Kaibab are a few hours away but not too far...

It gets to about 110-100 F during the summer and can be pretty darn cold during the winter, mainly because the wind blows 15+ almost every darn day! I was born and raised in Kingman and I will say that there is a lot of good people here, but there is also alot of WHITE TRASH that has migrated into the area.

Nevada & Utah are just a few hours, so more hunting opportunities exist as Quality tags in Arizona are getting very tuff to come by...

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom