Mounts From Bar Confiscated by CF&G

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
Cigarette Touting Wolverine Confiscated by Wardens from California Bar​

Acting on a tip, California Fish and Game (DFG) wardens removed two taxidermy mounts from a Georgetown bar ? and not because they were underage drinkers. In fact, one of the animals, a wolverine wearing a red hat and clenching a cigarette between his teeth, was several decades old. According to the DFG, however, his owners were violating a state fish and game code for possessing protected animals, whether they be dead or alive.

The fish and game code in question states that there are nine mammals that are against the law to kill or possess for whatever reason and it does not matter how old they are and whether they are stuffed, according to DFG Spokesman Andrew Hughan. The second animal to be seized was a red-tailed hawk. Hughan said the hawk violated another code section that prohibits people from possessing a non-game bird.

The wolverine is a protected mammal in California, the last Sierra wolverine to be shot was a scientific specimen in 1922. The creature is rarely seen, one was captured on film by a remote-controlled camera north of Truckee in February 2008.

Anthony Fox, bartender and son-in-law of the owner of the bar, claims the hawk has been on display for the past 20 years, but only guesses that it originated in California, while the wolverine has been on display at the bar for more than 50 years and was killed in Alaska. Both animals were donations from community residents to the bar.

Fox says the bar is teeming with history: the building the bar operates out of is 120 years old, with little pieces of history collected from customers over time. The bar even has people?s ashes in bottles. He feels that the wardens took a piece of the bar?s history when they confiscated the animals. Fox is also especially hurt because he feels like wardens didn't have the right to take the animals without a warrant. ?I'm not angry, I feel violated,? Fox said. ?They took part of our history, they took a part of the town?s history. They will keep them locked up and we're not ever going to get them back.?

DFG Warden Patrick Foy said they were acting on a tip they received on April 27th that there were ?numerous endangered species? on display at the bar. Upon inspection, they only found two in violation of the code. In an email, Warden Foy said under no circumstances was a warrant necessary for this case. ?They [the wardens] were 100 percent within policy to seize the evidence items as done.?

On a positive note, the wardens did not issue a citation to the bar owners. In an interview with the Sacremento Bee, Hughan said, ??at the end of the day, the wardens received a tip, they found a law being broken and they did what they had to do. All we wanted to do is make sure they were compliant.?

The Georgetown bar has numerous other animals and tidbits of historical items on display such as a badger, fox, mallard, several deer, elk and even two jackalopes.

Fox says he and the owners were unaware of their violations at the time that wardens came to confiscate the animals.

Locales may legally display other types of game, such as deer, but not any of the nine fully protected mammals. The list of protected species includes: Morro Bay kangaroo rat, Bighorn sheep (except Nelson bighorn sheep), Northern elephant seal, Guadalupe fur seal, Ring-tailed cat, Pacific right whale, Salt-marsh harvest mouse, Southern sea otter and wolverine.

It's possible that the DFG will relocate the confiscated hawk and wolverine to a museum or wildlife viewing area that has proper permits to possess the specimen.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Just stupid and ridiculous. These wardens are highly-trained law enforcement officials. They know how to investigate, disappoints me that their protocols are to confiscate then investigate (if they get around to it).

I wonder if the greenies who reported the violation were upset about their unpaid bar tab and if they thought that the jackalopes were among "the numerous endangered species" on display.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

What I find stupid is that you can't possess game taken legally outside of CA. So a wolverine or mountain lion taken legally outside of CA is now illegal to possess in CA. Now that is stupid.

Eldorado

Your CA tax dollars at work. Words can't describe how grateful I am to be a former resident of the State...

If I was a warden in California, and my boss told me to go confiscate a wolverine that was killed in Alaska 50 years ago, I would turn in my badge.

Then I would write a letter to Governor Brown telling him what a worthless POS he and his State are.

Eel

I wish Texans would over run California. Give them a whiff of the republic...

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

If I were those wardens, I would have "not seen" any violations on my investigation and went on with actually catching stupid poachers. And really, having a piece of paper (permit) makes it ethical to display said animals? Who the hell goes to museums anyways? I hate this state!

The dumbest things happen in that state.

8609facebookhomescreenimage.jpg

There needs to be disclaimers on EVERY road that enters the state- AND on every flight the Capt must give the disclaimer, that the state of Kalifornia contains cancer causing agents, AND they will confiscate any animal you killed legally in any state, but is illegal to kill in Kali!

WAFJ!

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

And what happens in KALI happens here just a couple years later!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

It's been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
But this is still the place
That we all call home

Here pretty quick its gonna be illegal to chase down a bear with a pack of hounds because its not humane......But if said hounds are "wolves" and not wearing collars its cool because its nature. You guys have no idea how good you have it in other states.

>And what happens in KALI happens
>here just a couple years
>later!

Yep, well said. Its called a "Legal president" and our court systems rely on these presidents to help make other laws/rulings. So while hunters across the nation snicker at Ca, the animal rights folks band together. Thankfully at the last conference to ban hunting dogs....the hunters outnumbered the AR folks.

I've been in that bar a few times and for those that have never been- its covered with old mounts,license plates and paraphernalia- the place look about like it would before the turn of the century- dark, dusty and old but very cool. I suppose its what we get when a large % of the wardens don't hunt or fish- which I would think would be primary criteria for the job.

>I wish Texans would over run
>California. Give them a whiff
>of the republic...
>
>
>"Courage is being scared to death
>but saddling up anyway."

Why would we ruin our stellar reputation by going there?

>lol...."precedent".....lmao...
>
>

Ummm yeah, "legal president" brings up a whole seperate issue that Sherrif Joe and Manny have been bringing up in the political forum for four years.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom