mountian goat info

G

goathunter75

MY WIFE DREW UNIT 37-A FOR GOATS AND SHE IS STOKED , I HAVE HUNTED THIS AREA A LITTLE FOR ELK AND HAVE BEEN TOLD THERE ARE OK NUMBERS OF GOATS THERE ,,WOULD LOVE ANY HELP ,SCOUTED PATTERSON CREEK ALREADY BUT DID NOT SEE ANY STILL SNOW IN TRAIL (3 WEEKS AGO ) LET ME KNOW

thanks for the reply , i have talked to salmon,idahofalls,boise offices & no good info....

The unit doesn't have a ton of history given the single tag issued each year, but the seven goats killed in the last seven years should be an indicator of something positive (providing what is published on the website is correct). The Salmon Region Wildlife Manager will be able to give you detailed harvest information upon request, which will be helpful to you (kill location, age, horn length, base circumference, number of days hunted, guided/non-guided status, etc.). Kill location will give you an idea of where to start. That information coupled with some time spent studying maps will put you in goat country. The rest will be hiking and glassing for goats in that country.

Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-12 AT 09:45PM (MST)[p]After wife and I drew two Salmon district goat tags in the last three years, we learned pretty quickly that the head of the dept. in Salmon will give little help.

Sorry but true story.

I drew sheep in that area this year and he actually called me back after three weeks of waiting (I was shocked) but he offered little help.

Best of luck, if you were in a different unit, I might be able to help.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-12 AT 09:49PM (MST)[p]>The unit doesn't have a ton
>of history given the single
>tag issued each year, but
>the seven goats killed in
>the last seven years should
>be an indicator of something
>positive (providing what is published
>on the website is correct).
>The Salmon Region Wildlife Manager
>will be able to give
>you detailed harvest information upon
>request, which will be helpful
>to you (kill location, age,
>horn length, base circumference, number
>of days hunted, guided/non-guided status,
>etc.). Kill location will give
>you an idea of where
>to start. That information coupled
>with some time spent studying
>maps will put you in
>goat country. The rest will
>be hiking and glassing for
>goats in that country.
>
>Good luck!

on the contrary....

Keegan will not reveal kill locations of trophy species in my experience.

I typically provide the kill information I have. That is the information reported by successful hunters when they check in their animals. Location of kill data is typically quite general: a drainage name, road name, mountain, or some other landmark in the vicinity. And frankly, getting the information even to that scale is sometimes challenging, as some folks are not familiar with the country. Further, many animals are checked in other regional offices where staff may also be unfamiliar with the geography. For example, a kill location of "Panther Creek" in Unit 28 is not particularly helpful, because probably 3/4 of the unit is within the Panther Creek drainage. Kind of like getting an answer of NoTellUm Ridge...
I frequently supplement answers with information about general areas where animals are observed during surveys, but because we fly exclusively in late winter, those areas aren't very useful for finding animals on summer range. Lastly, for sheep and goat, when you look are harvest locations over time, in most areas you find that animals have been harvested in most or all of the drainages in the hunt area.

I'm sorry this gentleman was not satisfied with the information he received. He probably spoke with me, but it may have been someone else in the office as well. Based on feedback from hunters who contact me, most seem appreciative and find the information helpful.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

>on the contrary....
>
>Keegan will not reveal kill locations
>of trophy species in my
>experience.

Wow, cracking on the only fish and game manager who get's on here and interacts with the public... Tom Keegan is a pretty stand up guy for that

I agree! Seems he is willing to lend a hand and give out the information he is made aware of! Can't beat that, I'd pick his brain for as long as he lets you :)

Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-12 AT 04:31PM (MST)[p]Indeed he is. Kudos to Mr. Keegan for doing so.

I called him in 2009 requesting kill drainage info for wife's goat hunt. Frankly we did not want anything more than an idea of the drainages where goats were harvested. It was huge country.
He told me unequivocally, *no*. "I will not 'hot spot' kill information.
I had to ask him again as I didn't quite realize what "hot spot" meant.

I called him again in 2011 (left two messages) requesting a call back concerning goat info for a different unit and my two calls went completely unanswered.

I called him this year and he called two weeks after I left a message. I was aware that he was very busy and out of the office and it was completely understandable that he didn't get back immediately. After the 2011 unanswered calls, I figured I'd probably go unanswered.
To his credit, Mr. Keegan couldn't answer my unit questions, but he did offer interesting facts about sheep and provided another source for additional unit info.

That sums up my experiences.

The fact of the matter is that we have a f&g employee on here defending the department once again , if they would have done things rite in the first place there would be no need for that ! if you have ever drawn a goat tag in Id before the information packet tells you to explore Montana's web site for goat behavior and species identification ! REALLY !? send you to the competition's site WOW ! what a great way to do biz ! Idaho is in last place when it comes big game management , just read any credible magazine ! ( huntin fool , muley crazy ect !) really sad what they have done here folks .I know the guy that asked for help , and he is no dummy , he is a hard core hunter and knows how to research , hunt, and harvest !

Goathunter75,

It is too bad your post has been hijacked in order to vent someone else's frustrations. I do beleive IDFG, specifically Salmonfg, will help you out with information if it is available. I have had luck with obtaining detailed information on both sheep and goat units (whether I had a tag or not).

Good luck to you and your wife with this goat tag!

Broomd,

It is unfortunate that you have had a bad experience with obtaining this information. Maybe you came off a bit abrasive when you contacted Mr. K, as you have in the current setting.

Perhaps you would like to see the killsite "hotspots" for your 20A sheep hunt that Salmonfg provided me with? (I don't even have a tag). You are wound pretty tight about this. Plan a scouting trip or something and chill out.

No, no and no.
No hijack (or malice) was intended. I simply responded to the OP questions about bio's and killspots.

Simply my experience.
I'm chilled like a cucumber and am scouting already.

Good hunting....

GH75, don't forget about contacting the National Forest Service, rangers station etc. in your unit. They proved to be the best resource we had with the wife's goat tag and were a help with mine as well.
Their pretty hands-on and often frequent the country clearing trails, trees, etc.--heck, we've met them on the trail numerous times while scouting--great people.
They also usually have great maps at the ranger station.

I've never hunted goats, but I did apply this year and was scouring the web for starting points in a nearby unit. The most helpful info I found came from scouring some hiker websites. Many hikers like to hit the peaks and many of the posts noted where they saw or ran into the goats, including pics. In my research it seemed that once you know where the goats like to be, that is generally where they usually are, not alot of country is goat country.

I will give a shout out to Broomd, in my research his name came up often on a few different sites. Seems like he hunts goats more than most and seemed to be very fair in most of his posts.

Likewise, I must give props to Tom as he has been very helpful, despite a lot of complaining from members here, to this site.

Good luck on your tag, most likely just get on google earth and look for the steepest gray colored ridge lines and head there...

> Idaho
>is in last place when
>it comes big game management
>, just read any credible
>magazine ! ( huntin fool
>, muley crazy ect !)
>really sad what they have
>done here folks .

According to a couple of utah based trophy hunting magazines? I don't care what their opinions are. Idaho is managed for traditional hunting opportunities( the ability to go out and harvest some meat with the family) primarily and have also managed some areas for "trophy hunting". I would much rather go out and harvest an animal with the family every year than only hunt every five years in a place where deer are harassed all winter long and followed up to summer range with 20 Kirt Darner wannabes watching the same deer year round and doing their best to chase other people off of it.

Don't know anything about Kirt Whoever, but it's no surprise to many Idaho hunters that Idaho has horribly mismanaged it's mule deer herd.
The resource has been in trouble for a long time and yet we continue to have extensive mule deer doe harvests in areas where deer numbers are imperiled...
Tough to argue with the bottom line.

To be sure, Idaho has had management successes: cali bighorn, mountain goats etc. but also failures like the current status of the state's mule deer herd.

I can help a little. I found these goats on 7/28/12. There is a lot of ATV access which makes scouting much easier. Try the top of Spring Mountain canyon and glass South into the shade of the North facing slopes. One guy I talked to that drew the tag a few years back said there is at least one goat on every peak. We glassed for a while and though that guy wasn't 100% correct, I was amazed at how many goats we saw from 2 different glassing locations.
8355img_0380.jpg

THATS A COOL PIC,IM NOT SURE IF SPRING MOUNTAIN CANYON IS IN UNIT 37A / 29 LOOKS CLOSE TO THE SOUTH BORDER OF UNIT 29 WHAT DO YOU THINK ,LOVE TO VISIT MORE WITH YA, THANKS

Oh boy, I think you're right. I have seen goats around Yellow peak and lake. I KNOW that's in 37A/29. I also found this booner in your area. Good luck finding him though, he's a sneaky bugger!
3941img_0382.jpg

I might be back into that unit again soon. I'll let you know if we see any more goats.

THAT SNEEKE DUDE CANT SAY IVE SEEN HIM YET , LOOKS LIKE HE HAS GOOD MASS & GOOD LENGTH ,SURE SEEMS PREETY RELAXED ,HOPE HE KNOWS WHERE TO HIDE...IM PLANING A SCOUTING TRIP NEXT WEEK ,HOPE TO COVER ALOT OF COUNTRY ...THANKS ALOT FOR INFO...

There are a few goats out there ,to smokey to glass long distant but we found 2 billies ,one by yellow lake and one by yellow peak ,I will try to post pic

PM means personal message. If someone pms you, only you can see the message. You have to log in and then check your inbox. That comes up on the home page when you first arrive at the site.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom