Mountain Lion Audio...Lopez Lake

Wiszard

Long Time Member
My family and a few other families went camping over Easter break at Lopez Lake. My wife had spotted a mountain lion about half hour before dusk on a hillside not 60 yards behind our site. We all kept an eye out on the area she saw it and it showed itself one more time just prior to dusk. About 15 minutes later we hear what sounds to be a fawn in distress or something of that nature. The lion had gotten something and it was having a hard time finishing the kill. I just realized that my posting will be as a video and not a picture and I don't know how to upload a video. If you want me to send you the clip, email me at [email protected] and I'll send it to you. I can also text it to you if you text me first. (805)720-0604. I thought it was pretty eerie. The next morning we told the rangers and they went up the hill but found nothing.

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

>My family and a few other
>families went camping over Easter
>break at Lopez Lake. My
>wife had spotted a mountain
>lion about half hour before
>dusk on a hillside not
>60 yards behind our site.
>We all kept an eye
>out on the area she
>saw it and it showed
>itself one more time just
>prior to dusk. About 15
>minutes later we hear what
>sounds to be a fawn
>in distress or something of
>that nature. The lion had
>gotten something and it was
>having a hard time finishing
>the kill. I just realized
>that my posting will be
>as a video and not
>a picture and I don't
>know how to upload a
>video. If you want me
>to send you the clip,
>email me at [email protected] and
>I'll send it to you.
>I can also text it
>to you if you text
>me first. (805)720-0604. I thought
>it was pretty eerie. The
>next morning we told the
>rangers and they went up
>the hill but found nothing.
>
>
>Steve
>
>Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good
>health for granted because it
>can be gone in a
>heartbeat. Please go back and
>read the last line. This
>time really understand what it
>says.

I was a SLO Ranger for years and used to see and hear them in many of the parks,Lopez and SML in particular.
One evening with everyone having bbq's around sunset a small male cat took down a buck between me at the SML kiosk and the campsites 100yrds away.In the open. I watched that little lion drag the buck behind the office. No one saw it. Buck was covered up and half eaten the next morn.

SML is Santa Margarita Lake? I'll bet that was a sight to see, hank. Listening to this cat was freaky and unsettling.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Yup, "Margarita". SLO had tons of cats before they stopped all hunting.I got to work with the local USF&W trapper and the Wardens,knew most of the ranchers.
An old Portagee rancher gave me some of the best Prochutto ham I've ever had,dry aged lion.SSSSSSSSSSSSSSooooooooo long ago............

LAST EDITED ON May-23-15 AT 00:41AM (MST)[p]I lived near Honey Lake thirty years ago and would BBQ with friends most warm summer evenings. At least twice a week we would hear a lion up on the escarpment, wailing for several minutes, apparently calling to her cubs after a successful hunt. It is absolutely eerie and amazing how far the sound will carry on a down-slope breeze. I wish I did have a recording because I have not heard it since.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom