Mountain Goats on Lone Peak

P

patientlywaiting

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-10 AT 09:47PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-10 AT 09:45?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-10 AT 09:44?PM (MST)

After reading about all the successful goat hunts I was getting a little homesick for goat country so I decided to take a hike up Lone Peak on Friday to check on our little herd.

I seen several great billies that were too far to get pics with my little canon camera. But we, (my dog and I) were able to get within 40-50 yards of a couple of younger 7"-8" billies and got some pretty good pics.

This would have been an ideal archery set up if these goats were a couple years older and of course I had a tag...But we sat and watched them feed for a while at the same time they were watching us, but really didn't seen too nervous. They even fed towards us before returning to the shade where they both took a nap.

When we got ready to leave we walked towards them another 20 yards before they got up. My dog got a bit close thinking they were big fluffy sheep that she wanted to herd and luckily they walked down the ridge away from her rather than making her a Border Collie kabob.

2098img_1058.jpg

Center of pic in the shade

4548img_1070.jpg

Relaxed but keeping an eye on us.

9893img_1067.jpg

Time for a nap.
3985img_1034.jpg

Harly sitting on the top. Were on the south peak. The actual Lone Peak is visible just over the top of the rock my dog is sitting on about 100 yards to the north.
3969img_1039.jpg

Looking south into Alpine

9969img_1042.jpg

Looking northwest. You can see the Great Salt Lake sticking out of both sides and the buildings in downtown SLC on the far right. This is the actual Lone Peak. Not accessable from where we are with out ropes and vodka.
6831img_1037.jpg

Looking northeast- Great billy country.
6707img_1036.jpg

Looking southeast - Boxelder Peak & Timp.
3144img_1044.jpg

Looking west. Lone Peak on the right & south peak on the left. The rock my dog was sitting on is the one on the right. 1000' hole between these two peaks.

Scotty, you are one of the few that would say you took a hiketo see the goats. More like a heck of a climb etc. Good photos!

Thanks for sharing the photos. Your signal mirrow worked great. Wish I would have been up there with you, alwas a good time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom