Mountain Goats In Montana

M

MuleyHntr227

Has anyone on here had any success hunting the white ghost in Montana in the last years? I am looking into putting in for a tag this year but wanted to know if any of you had any info about what area I should put in for.

I killed mine in 2000, so am able to get back in the draw this year after my 7 year wait. If I were you, I would apply for HD...um...never mind.;-)

Try the Hunt Planner on FWP. Lots of good info and always fun opportunity to do some research.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the info and I am glad that you are not willing to share where you have been hunting. I was thinking about the Crazys have you heard of anyone having any success over near half moon?

There really arent any bad areas in Montana to have a goat tag.

Some require a little more work than others.

My brother drew one of the Bitterroot drainage tags, I drew one in SW Montana.

I'd take another goat tag in any area.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-08 AT 04:42PM (MST)[p]DonV,

Your posts and whining about draw odds get old.

Just put in and hope for the best, you need to quit worrying about it.

Trust me, you put in for enough animals in enough states, you'll be drawing some good tags.

Between my Dad, Brother, and I we've drawn 2 goat tags, 1 ram permit, and 4 moose permits in Montana. The odds on the ram tag were less than 1%, the goat tags were around 3-4%, and the moose ranged from 2-18%.

Odds of drawing without applying...ZERO, thats the only odds I worry about.

I love to apply for sheep/goat/moose in Mt. At least if I get drawn I know I can afford the NR tag since they're about half the price of some states!

So is there one particular unit that is considered the very best quality mountain goat unit in Montana? For years area 447 was considered the premier mountain goat unit with lots of 10" billies. Does anyone know if that is still the case???

Thanks in advance!!!

Square Butte is a little rim of cliffs in the middle of a CRP field with giant, easy to get to mtn goats. If that's what you're looking for in a mtn goat hunt - buck those fraction of a percent drawing odds. It's the toughest to draw goat permit in MT by a significant marging. Personally, I'd rather hunt for a 8-9" goat in the mountains, than a 10" in a CRP field.

Unit 447 not as good as it once was. the FWP has been transplanting alot of goats out of there, so the pop. in going down fast. I had a tag in 96 super hunt shot a 10" booner. Wife got tag in 2000, hunt was not as good very tuff actually. she did get a 9 3/4". went with a guy in 06 and after a couple of days of long hikes and trespass fees he shot a 8" nanny. neverless it is one of the few places a NR can apply.

I saw goats in the highwoods, 447 in the early 90's. I figured they were migrants or transplants from squarebutte. Anybody know anything about these goats? Same unit, should have same genetics. I can see Squarebutte from the Highwoods.

The Highwoods are a different unit now. Good hunting, but only 5 tags so there is no NR tag. Round Butte is in between the Highwoods and Square Butte, but the rancher charges 4500.00 to hunt Round Butte and it is all private. that is where the big billes like hang out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom