Mountain Goat Uintas East Unit

U

Utah

I've drawn a goat tag for the Uintas East Unit. Has anyone hunted or been in the unit and want to share any info on areas to find goats? I've backpacked and been in many of the basins but never looked for goats.

I had a tag on the west unit so couldn't help you specifically but from people who have hunted there I heard they got on the highline trail and once they hit the ridgeline just stay on that with easy walking and will be able to look in every bowl on the north and south sides. Sorry I'm not much help but good luck on your hunt be sure to post your goat!

Thanks for the help. I'm familiar with the Leidy Peak unit which is one unit to the east, but I figured goats are in the same basic places in all the Uinta units.

Utah- I was up in Garfield Basin this last week, and our party saw goats near Anderson Pass and on the ascent to King's from the west.

We also saw sign above Swasey's Hole. That whole basin looks "goaty". The trail in is an SOB, tho!!

I've been up in both those areas (in my younger years). I went scouting last weekend near Chepeta Lake and saw goats.
We're going to camp there Labor Day weekend and do some more scouting. Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately I checked and those areas are in the Central unit. My goat unit begins at the Uinta River Drainage and goes east to the Whiterocks River.

Thanks.

Bummer! How far north does the unit go? I still have some backcountry fishing trips planned, always happy to keep an eye out.

The unit follows the Uinta River on the west and goes all the way to the Utah border on the north. On the east, it basically follows the Whiterocks River all the way to the Utah border.

1866uintas_goat_001.jpg

I couldn't get out on the opener because of work commitments, but I managed to slip out a little on the weekend. It was so rainy, however and the cloud cover so low, that I couldn't see a thing, so I came home and planned a three day weekend a week later. I had a tough time finding anyone who wanted to go with me, so despite my better judgement, and a promise to my wife I wouldn't get into any nasty country, I headed up to goat country.

That night it got down to 25 degrees and all the water froze on my tent trailer. I got up and glassed the mountains and spotted a lone goat in the cliffs on the left hand side of the photo.
I figured that I could get to him so I set off up the mountain.

7713uintas_goat_002.jpg

When I got up on the mountain, this was the view I had over the basin. That is Elbow Lake.

I continued to climb to the level where I had seen the billy that morning and glassed the cliffs but couldn't find him right off. Taking a closer look, I spotted him bedded under a cliff ledge.If you look closeley, you will see the white spot under the cliffs in the upper middle portion of this photo.

7644uintas_goat_004.jpg

He was over 400 yards away, and being a bowhunter, I don't like taking long shots. As I closed the gap, the goat got up and started feeding away from me. I figured he knew I was there. As I got within shooting range, he slipped up a chute in the cliffs trying to head up over the top. I tried cutting him off and caught him trying to circle around me. One shot from my 300 RUM and the goat toppled over.

4385uintas_goat_006.jpg

It was relieving not to have a goat tumble 1000 yards and get all busted up. He's not a giant goat, but with a beautiful, unscathed hide, he will make a great mount and is truly a once in a lifetime trophy.

7709uintas_goat_012.jpg

2042uintas_goat_018.jpg

It took until 4:30 to cape him and bone out the meat. I didn't get back to my truck until 8:30 that night. With black toenails and sore muscles, I climbed into bed and relished in my accomplishment. A true do-it-yourself hunt.

7696uintas_goat_026.jpg

The beautiful fall colors of the High Uinta Mountains.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom