Mountain Bikes

kawboy

Very Active Member
Who else rides?
I bought one a couple weeks ago to help get me in shape for the season. Its kind of fun, I can see mysellf really getting into it. I went for my first ride up AF canyon, I think I also found some good spots to scout for archery deer

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

Who else rides?
I bought one a couple weeks ago to help get me in shape for the season. Its kind of fun, I can see mysellf really getting into it. I went for my first ride up AF canyon, I think I also found some good spots to scout for archery deer

I do and really enjoy it. I got a fully suspended Giant thats a real hoot to take down the ski slope trails. I know Tag and Beandude are both avid bikers as well.

I do and really enjoy it. I got a fully suspended Giant thats a real hoot to take down the ski slope trails. I know Tag and Beandude are both avid bikers as well.

A few years ago!

We had heavy snow that caused a few Avalanches!

USFS was too LAZY/CHEAP to clear the high Mountain Road!

Got to thinkin:Mountain Bike!

Ya Baby!

Nobody has been back in there!(There's a PISSCUTTER waitin!)

So I loads the Wal-Mart Special so called Mountain Bikes I find layin around the Yard & I'm off to find Mr Big!

Found out that Road is Steeper than My PISSCUTTIN Rig thought it was!

GEEZUS!

My Tongue was hangin out for a few Miles!

One thought came to mind:Was thinking if Preddy woulda showed up with one of them there twin Seaters I coulda let her do most of the Peddlin!:D

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

A few years ago!

We had heavy snow that caused a few Avalanches!

USFS was too LAZY/CHEAP to clear the high Mountain Road!

Got to thinkin:Mountain Bike!

Ya Baby!

Nobody has been back in there!(There's a PISSCUTTER waitin!)

So I loads the Wal-Mart Special so called Mountain Bikes I find layin around the Yard & I'm off to find Mr Big!

Found out that Road is Steeper than My PISSCUTTIN Rig thought it was!

GEEZUS!

My Tongue was hangin out for a few Miles!

One thought came to mind:Was thinking if Preddy woulda showed up with one of them there twin Seaters I coulda let her do most of the Peddlin!:D

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-11 AT 08:54PM (MST)[p]As a side note I was riding with my brother in Law who was on a new Specialized Epic S-Works 29'r. I rode it for five miles and didn't want to give it up, that is a sweet, high tech, and lightweight bike. At $9300 I won't be buying one soon though. Made my 'cheap' Stumpjumper expert feel like a clunker.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-11 AT 08:54PM (MST)[p]As a side note I was riding with my brother in Law who was on a new Specialized Epic S-Works 29'r. I rode it for five miles and didn't want to give it up, that is a sweet, high tech, and lightweight bike. At $9300 I won't be buying one soon though. Made my 'cheap' Stumpjumper expert feel like a clunker.

Grow more Beans Bean!:D

Grow more Beans Bean!:D

$ 9300 BUCKS ????? Dang , pretty hard to beleive there is any bicycle in this world is worth that kind of money .

How do these high dollor mountain bikes hold up to crashing ? I have seen some of the high buck carbon fibers road bikes that just splintered after they had a bad crash .

Speaaking of crashes you guys be careful on your downhill dirt trails . I have seen some nasty crashes by the mountain bikers where I ride after mountain bikers meet horses . I have had a few times where its the thick , scruboak , sharp twisty trails and with no warning there is a bike bombing down the trail and the rider is only looking a couple of feet in front of him/her . A big ol horse that isn't scared of much and then a silent bike just flying down the trail is a recipe for a big mess .

$ 9300 BUCKS ????? Dang , pretty hard to beleive there is any bicycle in this world is worth that kind of money .

How do these high dollor mountain bikes hold up to crashing ? I have seen some of the high buck carbon fibers road bikes that just splintered after they had a bad crash .

Speaaking of crashes you guys be careful on your downhill dirt trails . I have seen some nasty crashes by the mountain bikers where I ride after mountain bikers meet horses . I have had a few times where its the thick , scruboak , sharp twisty trails and with no warning there is a bike bombing down the trail and the rider is only looking a couple of feet in front of him/her . A big ol horse that isn't scared of much and then a silent bike just flying down the trail is a recipe for a big mess .

Ive been riding a full suspension Blur for about 5 years, just sold it and bought a Fuji hardtail 29er. It is sweet on the climbs but I miss the rear cush on the downhills.

Ive been riding a full suspension Blur for about 5 years, just sold it and bought a Fuji hardtail 29er. It is sweet on the climbs but I miss the rear cush on the downhills.

Well I'm not riding a stumpjumper,or some 9300$ bike, but me and my wife bought matching $250 mountain bikes, mongoose with disk brakes, I gotta ask- what do you do to make it not hurt your ass? I mean- I weigh a whopping 150lbs(but I'm like a brick chit house .....j/k) but after the rides my freikin ass hurts! I pulled the kids in their trailor 2 days in a row, and I'm barely walking?

Forget the option of buying a more expensive bike- i'd give up the hobby in a heartbeat before i'd drop 9300 on a Pedal bike

Well I'm not riding a stumpjumper,or some 9300$ bike, but me and my wife bought matching $250 mountain bikes, mongoose with disk brakes, I gotta ask- what do you do to make it not hurt your ass? I mean- I weigh a whopping 150lbs(but I'm like a brick chit house .....j/k) but after the rides my freikin ass hurts! I pulled the kids in their trailor 2 days in a row, and I'm barely walking?

Forget the option of buying a more expensive bike- i'd give up the hobby in a heartbeat before i'd drop 9300 on a Pedal bike

I am on an older GT, it has full suspension. I got lucky and picked it up for 50 bucks. As far as monkey butt goes, I have been told to buy padded undershorts.
I figure its worth a shot, after my last ride I walked funny for 4 days, the guy I ride with always has top of the line stuff, I think I will ride the wheels off the one I got before I decide to spend any more on the hobbyy.

I am on an older GT, it has full suspension. I got lucky and picked it up for 50 bucks. As far as monkey butt goes, I have been told to buy padded undershorts.
I figure its worth a shot, after my last ride I walked funny for 4 days, the guy I ride with always has top of the line stuff, I think I will ride the wheels off the one I got before I decide to spend any more on the hobbyy.

Just dont post your photos of you in the yellow Lance Armstrong biker shorts...

300wby,

There are a number of factors that cause butt ache or even worse, monkeybutt. If you don't ride much then your butt just needs to harden off a bit. If you ride often enough the aches and pains just go away, kind of like if you haven't done situps in while, your abs will hurt for a while. Bike fit is really important. Those big, fat, padded seats are a number one cause of monkeybutt. Basically you want the seat to fit your pelvic bones, anything else just gets in the way and causes chafe. A good set of riding shorts, baggies or lycra with a padded liner, is a big help. There's a reason riders wear lycra and it has everything to do with function and nothing to do with style. They make riding liners that will fit under your everyday shorts if you don't want to look like a biker. Seams and pockets on your everyday shorts can be trouble though.

It's a great way to stay fit and enjoy the mountains.

300wby,

There are a number of factors that cause butt ache or even worse, monkeybutt. If you don't ride much then your butt just needs to harden off a bit. If you ride often enough the aches and pains just go away, kind of like if you haven't done situps in while, your abs will hurt for a while. Bike fit is really important. Those big, fat, padded seats are a number one cause of monkeybutt. Basically you want the seat to fit your pelvic bones, anything else just gets in the way and causes chafe. A good set of riding shorts, baggies or lycra with a padded liner, is a big help. There's a reason riders wear lycra and it has everything to do with function and nothing to do with style. They make riding liners that will fit under your everyday shorts if you don't want to look like a biker. Seams and pockets on your everyday shorts can be trouble though.

It's a great way to stay fit and enjoy the mountains.

I can see a use for a bike in the dirt.Ive got a walmart special and from time to time take mine out
My problime is every time I head into SLC I take redwood road.
There's always more flippin idiots pedaling down the road.And they refuse to ride on the shoulder or even in there bike lane that is made for them.
I think next time I head up that direction I'm going to take a broom handle and let the wife drive and see if I can clear out a little space for the drivers behind me

For the die hard bike peddlers out there.If this offends you.
Well I'm not sorry you have to be courteous to drivers if you want them to be courteous to you

I can see a use for a bike in the dirt.Ive got a walmart special and from time to time take mine out
My problime is every time I head into SLC I take redwood road.
There's always more flippin idiots pedaling down the road.And they refuse to ride on the shoulder or even in there bike lane that is made for them.
I think next time I head up that direction I'm going to take a broom handle and let the wife drive and see if I can clear out a little space for the drivers behind me

For the die hard bike peddlers out there.If this offends you.
Well I'm not sorry you have to be courteous to drivers if you want them to be courteous to you

+1 never_satisfied,
I hate driving up big cottonwood canyon and there are 2 or 3 bikers riding side by side. I wish I drove a diesel and could smoke em out. It should be a law if your going to ride like that you have to go the speed limit

+1 never_satisfied,
I hate driving up big cottonwood canyon and there are 2 or 3 bikers riding side by side. I wish I drove a diesel and could smoke em out. It should be a law if your going to ride like that you have to go the speed limit

My only experience with a bike was many years ago when my father, brother and I took 3 old Schwinn bicycles on an early Sept. deer hunt here in southern CA. Going up hill was a biotch. Plus it was hot and the country was infested with rattlesnakes. My greatest memory from that hunt was going down hill and evading them rattlers. That was fun.

Eldorado

My only experience with a bike was many years ago when my father, brother and I took 3 old Schwinn bicycles on an early Sept. deer hunt here in southern CA. Going up hill was a biotch. Plus it was hot and the country was infested with rattlesnakes. My greatest memory from that hunt was going down hill and evading them rattlers. That was fun.

Eldorado

My boss fractured his Pinarello road bike last week by hitting the down bar on a piece of rebar sticking out from a construction sign here in Italy. Luckily the Pinarello store is 20 minutes away and was able to laminate more layers of Carbon Fiber onto the frame and certify its strength...

DC

My boss fractured his Pinarello road bike last week by hitting the down bar on a piece of rebar sticking out from a construction sign here in Italy. Luckily the Pinarello store is 20 minutes away and was able to laminate more layers of Carbon Fiber onto the frame and certify its strength...

DC

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-11 AT 03:38PM (MST)[p]I've really really gotten into it!
A couple months ago....Because of knee issues....I was forced to take up mountain biking. First time I rode I hated it, scared the crap of me, I was felt like a fish out of water but I've forced my self to keep trying. Now I love it! I go at least 4 times a week. I rode this morning climbing for 5 miles, then flying back down.
Knees fills great! Great exercise & fun to!
I even went out and bought a new bike! 2012 Specialized Epic Comp 29er(non S-works)....Big difference from my 03 Schwinn.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-11 AT 03:38PM (MST)[p]I've really really gotten into it!
A couple months ago....Because of knee issues....I was forced to take up mountain biking. First time I rode I hated it, scared the crap of me, I was felt like a fish out of water but I've forced my self to keep trying. Now I love it! I go at least 4 times a week. I rode this morning climbing for 5 miles, then flying back down.
Knees fills great! Great exercise & fun to!
I even went out and bought a new bike! 2012 Specialized Epic Comp 29er(non S-works)....Big difference from my 03 Schwinn.

Believe it or not Kawboy, but I ride. I ride my bike to work and I even ride some trails on the Wasatch. I love the single track riding downhill. If I can find somebody to take me up on Strawberry ridge I will ride across and down one of the waters. Pretty fun and challenging. But plan on biting the dirt every so often. I wiped out several times.

It's always an adventure!!!

Believe it or not Kawboy, but I ride. I ride my bike to work and I even ride some trails on the Wasatch. I love the single track riding downhill. If I can find somebody to take me up on Strawberry ridge I will ride across and down one of the waters. Pretty fun and challenging. But plan on biting the dirt every so often. I wiped out several times.

Some time we should pick a day and try a ride. I need someone who knows what's going on to show me the ropes. If I am going to really get into it, I wanna do it right.

Some time we should pick a day and try a ride. I need someone who knows what's going on to show me the ropes. If I am going to really get into it, I wanna do it right.

>+1 never_satisfied,
>I hate driving up big cottonwood
>canyon and there are 2
>or 3 bikers riding side
>by side. I wish I
>drove a diesel and could
>smoke em out. It should
>be a law if your
>going to ride like that
>you have to go the
>speed limit
>
>
>I'll tell you who it was
>. . . it was
>that D@MN Sasquatch!

If you think Big Cottonwood Canyon is bad , Millcreek and Emigration Canyon are ten times worse .

>+1 never_satisfied,
>I hate driving up big cottonwood
>canyon and there are 2
>or 3 bikers riding side
>by side. I wish I
>drove a diesel and could
>smoke em out. It should
>be a law if your
>going to ride like that
>you have to go the
>speed limit
>
>
>I'll tell you who it was
>. . . it was
>that D@MN Sasquatch!

If you think Big Cottonwood Canyon is bad , Millcreek and Emigration Canyon are ten times worse .

Sounds like AWLB can you show you a thing or two?:D

Or at least how to Pile a Bike up!:D

Sounds like AWLB can you show you a thing or two?:D

Or at least how to Pile a Bike up!:D

For sure B-Bop! I wear a helmet that now has a face protector so I can keep my pretty smile intact!:)

Kawboy - you should head up to Sundance. You can ride the tram up the mountain and then take one of their many single tracks downhill. Now those are a riot. I like them because there is very little up hill!

For sure B-Bop! I wear a helmet that now has a face protector so I can keep my pretty smile intact!:)

Kawboy - you should head up to Sundance. You can ride the tram up the mountain and then take one of their many single tracks downhill. Now those are a riot. I like them because there is very little up hill!

A few months ago I was haulin on a steep donwhill section when I launched off a 3 foot drop. I had done this exact trail 100's of times. This time the forks burst the seals and bent under the bike. The rim became square and I was superman over the handle bars. I had that mtn bike for eleven years and hated to get rid of it.

I went to a dealer demo days and got to test ride a bunch of different brands out in the desert. I ended up with a new 29 er by Pivot. After as many years as I had ridden I was shocked to pick up over 10 % more speed with the new bike. I was cutting 14 minutes off my normal 2 hour loop through the trails at South Mountain. Be careful Kawboy this hobby could get expensive. Haha. And always wear a helmet and gloves. The gloves will protect you many times if you ride much at all.

A few months ago I was haulin on a steep donwhill section when I launched off a 3 foot drop. I had done this exact trail 100's of times. This time the forks burst the seals and bent under the bike. The rim became square and I was superman over the handle bars. I had that mtn bike for eleven years and hated to get rid of it.

I went to a dealer demo days and got to test ride a bunch of different brands out in the desert. I ended up with a new 29 er by Pivot. After as many years as I had ridden I was shocked to pick up over 10 % more speed with the new bike. I was cutting 14 minutes off my normal 2 hour loop through the trails at South Mountain. Be careful Kawboy this hobby could get expensive. Haha. And always wear a helmet and gloves. The gloves will protect you many times if you ride much at all.

Fruita? How far do you live from the Western Slope Vietnam Vet's Memorial? I stop there every year on my way to camp.

>Yup, put 26 miles on the
>Stumpjumper this morning at Fruita.
>

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Fruita? How far do you live from the Western Slope Vietnam Vet's Memorial? I stop there every year on my way to camp.

>Yup, put 26 miles on the
>Stumpjumper this morning at Fruita.
>

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

I started mountain biking in the early 90's when I was 15. Raced for many years both nationally and locally, then settled in and just rode for fun. Very, very fun and challenging sport. I worked at and managed a couple different bikes shops and owned half a dozen or more $4000+ bikes. Bikes are just like anything else you get what you pay for. For those dedicated to the sport it is just one of the costs. Most mountain bikers would crap themselves if you told them you spent $2k on binos and another $2k on a gun etc, etc. But when you are committed to something and you know and understand the quality and precision you get by paying top dollar, it's a little more understandable. I sold my mtn bike 7 years ago when I had my first boy (now I have 4) and have only ridden my road bike since. I miss the mountain bike, but I don't have a lot of extra time these days and I can jump on my road bike and ride instead of loading it up driving to the trail head riding and driving home. Seems to take most the day to get a mtb ride in and I can get a good 2 hour ride in on the road bike in a couple hours. I am currently looking to upgrade my new road bike and looking at one in the price range of $4000 - $6000. I know crazy. I only spent $5000 on my dirt bike (motorcycle).

Want to see an expensive bike?
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/road/elite-road/supersix-evo/2012-supersix-evo-ultimate-19273

Yes, that is a $12,100 price tag!

I started mountain biking in the early 90's when I was 15. Raced for many years both nationally and locally, then settled in and just rode for fun. Very, very fun and challenging sport. I worked at and managed a couple different bikes shops and owned half a dozen or more $4000+ bikes. Bikes are just like anything else you get what you pay for. For those dedicated to the sport it is just one of the costs. Most mountain bikers would crap themselves if you told them you spent $2k on binos and another $2k on a gun etc, etc. But when you are committed to something and you know and understand the quality and precision you get by paying top dollar, it's a little more understandable. I sold my mtn bike 7 years ago when I had my first boy (now I have 4) and have only ridden my road bike since. I miss the mountain bike, but I don't have a lot of extra time these days and I can jump on my road bike and ride instead of loading it up driving to the trail head riding and driving home. Seems to take most the day to get a mtb ride in and I can get a good 2 hour ride in on the road bike in a couple hours. I am currently looking to upgrade my new road bike and looking at one in the price range of $4000 - $6000. I know crazy. I only spent $5000 on my dirt bike (motorcycle).

Want to see an expensive bike?
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/road/elite-road/supersix-evo/2012-supersix-evo-ultimate-19273

Yes, that is a $12,100 price tag!

+1 on the gloves TAG!

+1 on what Alp said too. I ride a Specialized but that seamed to be the most comfortable for me. Be prepared for a sore ass for about a week or so. Also, if you don't have to have this years model there are some great deals out there! Just shop around and try them out before you buy. I'm about ready to jump to the road bike scene but I'm afraid of car bumpers.

+1 on the gloves TAG!

+1 on what Alp said too. I ride a Specialized but that seamed to be the most comfortable for me. Be prepared for a sore ass for about a week or so. Also, if you don't have to have this years model there are some great deals out there! Just shop around and try them out before you buy. I'm about ready to jump to the road bike scene but I'm afraid of car bumpers.

Well Alp!

For 12 f'n Grand the bike ought to at least have a Tuneable Piston!

Well Alp!

For 12 f'n Grand the bike ought to at least have a Tuneable Piston!

The research farm is about 4 mile NE of Fruita. I live on East Orchard Mesa just south of Palisade.

The research farm is about 4 mile NE of Fruita. I live on East Orchard Mesa just south of Palisade.

Feddoc,

The research farm is 4 miles NE of Fruita but I live on East Orchard Mesa just south of Palisade. Give me a shout when you are driving through, I'll buy you lunch or at least send you off with a bag off fresh pinto beans.

Feddoc,

The research farm is 4 miles NE of Fruita but I live on East Orchard Mesa just south of Palisade. Give me a shout when you are driving through, I'll buy you lunch or at least send you off with a bag off fresh pinto beans.

'BlooDTrAcKer' and 'bamacpl' have sweet mnt. bike 'trlr's' set-ups for each of their hunting mnt. bikes.

Kinda cool looking---very efficient----although both have different style self manufactor trlr's....

Robb

'BlooDTrAcKer' and 'bamacpl' have sweet mnt. bike 'trlr's' set-ups for each of their hunting mnt. bikes.

Kinda cool looking---very efficient----although both have different style self manufactor trlr's....

Robb

I ride a bit here and there. Mostly out at Antelope Island. I have a Gary Fisher Marlin. If anyone set up a ride in Davis or Salt Lake County, Id probably be able to go. Im definitely a novice though.

Anyone here really good at tuning up a bike? Just lately I havent been able to shift down to the lowest front sprocket. Anyone care to tell me the best way to fix this?

I ride a bit here and there. Mostly out at Antelope Island. I have a Gary Fisher Marlin. If anyone set up a ride in Davis or Salt Lake County, Id probably be able to go. Im definitely a novice though.

Anyone here really good at tuning up a bike? Just lately I havent been able to shift down to the lowest front sprocket. Anyone care to tell me the best way to fix this?

Someone posted a story of trying to scout for deer on a mtn bike. I laughed sooo hard... Anyone else remember it?
Going over the handlebars, hitting his gonads numerous times and almost ruining a swaro spotting scope. Ring any bells?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Someone posted a story of trying to scout for deer on a mtn bike. I laughed sooo hard... Anyone else remember it?
Going over the handlebars, hitting his gonads numerous times and almost ruining a swaro spotting scope. Ring any bells?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Doesn't ring any bells but I've been over the bars a few times and raked the twins several on those mountain trails. I'm not sure you can ride in the hills and not get that experience. It's pretty damn funny when your buddies do it but somehow the humor is gone when you're grabbing your own!:)

Doesn't ring any bells but I've been over the bars a few times and raked the twins several on those mountain trails. I'm not sure you can ride in the hills and not get that experience. It's pretty damn funny when your buddies do it but somehow the humor is gone when you're grabbing your own!:)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-11 AT 02:23PM (MST)[p]Lol yup!

Rick (kawboy) was riding past me in my parents front yard and I reached over and grabbed the front brake.. Lol good times.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-11 AT 02:23PM (MST)[p]Lol yup!

Rick (kawboy) was riding past me in my parents front yard and I reached over and grabbed the front brake.. Lol good times.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I'm pretty sure that was SWbuckmaster. I about died laughing at that as well. I bought a bike a couple of years ago and love it. I mostly ride down in St. George when i visit my in-laws.

I'm pretty sure that was SWbuckmaster. I about died laughing at that as well. I bought a bike a couple of years ago and love it. I mostly ride down in St. George when i visit my in-laws.

Ha Ha Ha lol Ya that was me. Its all funny when it happens to the buckmaster.

Ill leave riding bikes to the guys all over the front that seem to all be sponsored by the same yellow bike shorts.

All add one more reason I hate the bikers. Nothing worse then eye raping a skinny, tan, long hair, shaved legged person in tight spandex from behind is when you have a closer look as you pass at the front parts and it ends up being a dude! Ya those ones end up in the ditch! oopsy!

Ha Ha Ha lol Ya that was me. Its all funny when it happens to the buckmaster.

Ill leave riding bikes to the guys all over the front that seem to all be sponsored by the same yellow bike shorts.

All add one more reason I hate the bikers. Nothing worse then eye raping a skinny, tan, long hair, shaved legged person in tight spandex from behind is when you have a closer look as you pass at the front parts and it ends up being a dude! Ya those ones end up in the ditch! oopsy!

Lol that one looks like a chick so it might get eye raped. Now if it had a goatee attached it might accidentally end up in a ditch.

Lol that one looks like a chick so it might get eye raped. Now if it had a goatee attached it might accidentally end up in a ditch.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom