Mount Problem

B

Big_DD

So, my taxidermist last fall didn't detatch one of my moose antlers like I asked him to and I left it at that because it fit in the place I was living, but I bought a new house last week and the damn thing won't fit down the stairs and the woman is not happy... Not only is she not happy, I want to put him downstairs with the rest of the mounts to fill my trophy room.

What are my options? I called the original taxi and asked him but he told me I should have had it done when he mounted it... Duh!

I was going to call a couple other local taxi's and see if there is anything they can do. Has anyone else had to try and figure this out after the fact? Is cutting a horn and repairing it my only option? I was told that trying the take part of the mount apart and fix it and remount part of it may screw the mount up.

And ideas or input?

I have a bull elk that is 63 inches wide. When I had him done I thought one detachable antler was enough. My taxi tod me I better decide if I wanted both detachable asap becuz its a pain in the ass to go back and redo it.
So from what I was told is it's doable but expensive and a pain.
Good luck!

Traditional >>>------->

I presume you asked to have one or both antlers drilled out and the mount manequin made with rod(s) that the antler(s) drop onto so they can be removed like you now need to do to get through a tight place. It will obviously have to be opened up so that one side can be cut off, the mount drilled and a rod inserted, along with the antler dilled out to slip down over the rod. That will be expensive, probably will be hard to do without possibly showing that the mount has been tampered with, and obviously should have been done initially like you asked. If you let the guy get by without following your instructions, you now either pay the piper to have a job done that won't be simple and/or put it out in the garage and live with it that way to keep the wife happy.

I pin a few "after-the-fact" antlers every year, most for hunters whose own taxi won't do them after the mount is finished. No cutting through the antler, no taking the mount apart. Usually only need to pin one on a moose. I am in Utah County if you are close. Feel free to give me a call-- contact info at the website below.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

We had a local here with the same problem!

But when all said & done!

T'wasn't nothing a .79 Hack Saw Blade wouldn't fix!

JUDAS!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

Do you have any big windows downstairs ? You can pull the windows out of the frame and pop it threw . Just a thought .

What kinda Tools do you need to borrow?

My 066 Stihl Magnum Chainsaw?

Or my Hilti Demolition Drill/Breaker?

You might have to send your Wife Shoppin for a while but We'll git-r-done!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

Thanks for the replies. The windows downstairs are not big enough for him to get through, he is a pedestal mount and he is just too long to fit and turn in the window wells.

Packout, I have one guy that is getting back with me on this problem and if he is hesitant about it I will give you a call later in the week, thanks.

Can you take out the outside door or wall and put in a sliding glass door or is it more of a basement with no outlet? I think if it was possible I would put in a sliding glass door, the type you can remove both the fixed and sliding door. That should be more than enough room to get it in and out with. Good luck dude,I certainly wouldn't want to break down my mount if I could help it.

GBA

He won't fit down he stairs into the basement, he is about 4 inches to wide no matter how you turn him or twist him. I was hoping to get away with just cutting a point of two off and repairing it but from what I can can tell, it'll have to be the whole horn. We don't have an outside door from the basement so the stairwell is our only option, as the window wells won't work either.

Luckily, the woman was understanding as she thought, along with me and everyone else, that he would fit down the stairs no problem, they looked to be wide enough, we were all wrong! She was pretty patient with me and I talked her into letting me keep it upstairs for a couple weeks until I have time to get moved in and settled and can find a solution. Thank god for catching women on good days!

I had the same problem a year ago, could not get my moose in the basement. I took it to Mike (a.k.a Packout) and a week later I had my moose back, did not cost all that much either and looks great. You have to look real closely to see that the antler is removable.

Here is the finished mount.

5490moose_mount_finished.jpg

Here is a picture that shows how long the mount actually is and why it's about impossible to twist through any hallway or stairwell.

4124moose_mount_2.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom