Most popular caliber (after 30-06) big game

DonVathome

Very Active Member
What is the most popular caliber after the 30-06 for big game? I am looking to buy a new rifle and one thing that is important is the ease of finding ammo for sale.

I am leaning towards a 300 magnum.

My guess is the most popular caliber after 30-06 is the 300 or maybe a 270?

Your thoughts?

I am no gun expert but I would say the 300 winchester magnum or 300wsm. They are a great all around gun that can be used successfully on any NA big game animal. Plus the ammo is easy to find for me, Sportsmans always has a bunch of 300 wsm on the shelves.
270 is very popular but if you ever want to go after moose or grizzlies, it is a little under powered. Yes it will work for them but not ideal.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer? See Zeke for prime example....

For many years I think the 270 was next in line to the 06, due to Jack O'Connor's influence, but I think the 7mm Rem Mag has probably surpassed the 270 in popularity.
The 300 Win Mag is also right up there, but I think most all the popular calibers have plenty of off the shelf ammo.
A 300 Win is not going to be a lot different than your 06, so if it were me, I would try a smaller caliber. IMHO

more 223 ammo sold than anything (excluding 22LR). :)

I would go with the 7 mag or 300 mag...no way the WSM fits into this conversation.

270 is great too...for some reason I always think stronger when someone asks about a new gun; seems like most looking for another gun are going Magnum. 270 will be the cheapest for sure. (ammo that is)

I love talking guns, cartridges and calibers. This thread is about cartridges though, not "calibers"!

The 30-06, 308 Winchester and the 300 Winchester mag., for instance, are all the SAME CALIBER yet they are very different cartridges or chamberings!

Thanks!

I'd guess that the 270 Winchester is very close to the #2 modern day hunting cartridge.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I BELIEVE THE .300 WSM IS GAINING GROUND ON ALL THE BIG GAME CHOICES THESE DAYS, EVERY BODY & THEIR DOG HAS ONE..........YD.

Most popular (Big Game)AMMO sold over the last 5 years, as compiled by US Government.
Seems off to me...anyway

1. .300 magnums Win, Weatherby, WSM
2. .270
3. .30/06
4. 7mm magnum
5. 6mm?3
6. .338
7. .257
8. .30/30?
9. .308
10. .375

Not sure what the most popular selling guns are.

Dad always told me to never buy a gun that you can't buy shells for at the Fruitland store.
But even they had at least 10 different ones to choose from.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-12 AT 09:15AM (MST)[p]Looks like the guys that shoot 30 caliber magnums miss more than guys that shoot a .270!

I bet if you took in ALL of the big game shooters, including "subsistance" hunters and poachers the 223 Rem and 22 LR rimfire would rank very high on that list.

>I bet if you took in
>ALL of the big game
>shooters, including "subsistance" hunters and
>poachers the 223 Rem and
>22 LR rimfire would rank
>very high on that list.
>

Not a chance that the .223 is the most used big game cartridge.
Even the poachers have enough pride to use a .243+ caliber on big game.

Zeke

I got to agree with NV that a spotlight and a .22 rifle is a top pick.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I agree that the 22lr probably out sells all other ammo by a good margin but, it's generally not referred to as "big Game" stuff.

In the list of most sales Ammo above, to lump in all the 300 magnums together against cartridges like the .270 and 30-06 is not right or fair. I'd think that any one of them would at best be 3rd or 4th on the list.

Kind of surprised to see the .270 Winchester being ahead of the 30-06 on that list. I know and respect that the .270 is so high up there but come on here, we're talking about it being more popular or getting shot more than the '06? I don't think so! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Been lucky and been to a lot of places and there is always 308, 270 and 7mm. Hard to find the magnum calibers anywhere. Or the big bores.

stick with the 300mag or wsm...ammo is everywhere and easy to find. i see the 300 as a one rifle all around killer, but thats just my opinion

300 win mag is a killa. Long shots it can make if u can. Close shots blows right through any animal I have taken. Doesn't kick the piss out of me or cause me to go deaf after the shot. That's my pick. I do like my 257 weatherby a lot to, but cant not use my 300.

"one thing that is important is the ease of finding ammo for sale"

Depends on use:

For any deer sized game on the planet, you can't beat the 270.

If you want to take elk, then the 300 win mag is the ticket.

That is the beauty, you can never have "enough" although I don't know where I would put any more! I have a .17, 22, 243, 270, 30-06, 7 mag and 338 win mag. Need to borrow one? LOL

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

This gun will be an all around gun, deer to elk & moose - but mostly for elk moose brown bear and other bigger game. I have a .280 for smaller game.

I never knew there were several different 300 mag's! Which of them is the most common?

I suspect the 300 win mag would still be the most popular.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Wayne van Zwoll has done several surveys of elk hunters regarding their choie of cartridge. His surveys say the 06 is number 1 followed by the 7mm rem mag, then the 300 win mag. He writes for Bugle (rmef) and a few other magazines and it seems like he does one of these surveys every few years.

The surveys are only done for elk hunters though. I would imagine the numbers would be different if you included deer hunters too

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom