Mormon Beefcake calander..must read!

B

BowHuntWithaRifle

4883a5ca4199547f.jpg

Read this!!

It's always March in Loree Moser's living room in Redmond, Calif. That is, it's always March according to the calendar that features a shirtless photo of her 22-year-old son, Matthew, with one bicep-bulging arm hanging from a tree branch. Pin-up calendars are nothing new, but this one has a twist: it shows handsome, recently returned Mormon missionaries both in and out of traditional missionary garb.

That fusion of sexuality and religion in "Men on a Mission" was so combustible that last weekend the calendar's creator, Chad Hardy of Las Vegas, was excommunicated by a disciplinary council of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. LDS authorities won't discuss the matter since the church treats disciplinary matters confidentially. But Hardy said the church's move was motivated by LDS officials' desire to scare the flock away from expressing their sexuality and disobeying their edicts. Hardy had been instructed by his local stake president (a Mormon clerical leader) to stop producing the calendar; instead he moved ahead with the 2009 edition, due out in September, and is conducting auditions for the 2010 version.

"To them, the excommunication process is a repentance process," said Hardy, 31, who said he and a business partner have sold 10,000 of the 2008 calendars at $15 apiece, with some proceeds being donated to the charity of each model's choice. "What do I have to repent of? For producing a calendar? Giving money to charity? I believe in what I did, what I'm doing, and I'm not going to stop it."

Hardy says the church has accused him of using religion to sell sex. But he prefers to think of it as the other way around: he's using eye-catching and unexpected images of usually buttoned-up men to draw attention to the charitable and civic contributions of the faith. Until his excommunication, Hardy was a sixth-generation Mormon who some six years ago stopped attending church, tithing or wearing the requisite sacred undergarments, but he insisted he still admires the church and wanted to use the calendar a form of outreach. "I have my own feelings about the church; they're personal," he said. "I don't want to make the church look bad. I want this to be a positive thing for these guys."

Each page of "Men on a Mission" shows a shirtless man, along with a shot of the same fellow in the traditional uniform that Mormons wear during their two-year missions--a white button-down-collar shirt and tie, black pants and a black name badge. The calendar also features a biography of each model, mentioning the place where he served his mission and some thoughts on his faith. None are particularly provocative poses by beefcake calendar standards, although Mr. October 2008 does have a finger tugging down his belt and exposing the elastic of his underwear.

"I thought it could be a pretty cool idea to strip off some stereotypes and hopefully build some bridges between different groups of people," says Hardy, who also owns a Vegas-based company that puts on team-building exercises for companies.

That is what attracted Christopher Hayes, 23, of Marysville, Wash., who posed for the 2009 edition. Hayes's mother, in fact, urged him on after the 2008 edition was cited as the "Hot Calendar" of the year by Rolling Stone magazine. Hayes's mother and grandparents even attended the photo shoot in Las Vegas in March. "What we're doing is showing people that Mormons aren't the weird, sheltered people that people think we are. It was more of an acceptance of us as people."

Hayes, Moser and the other models say they're not concerned that the church would discipline them for participating in the endeavor, and there is no indication that the church has taken any action against them. Indeed, Moser said a stake leader (the equivalent of a parish priest) in his area quizzed him about it before telling him it would not be a problem. "You don't see anything in this calendar that you wouldn't see at a church pool party," says Cody Bloomfield, 21, of Irvine, Calif., who is the 2009 cover model. "Actually, you see more at a church pool party."

Each man said he received a reassuring e-mail from Hardy telling them that his excommunication was the result of personal conduct issues--his lapsed attendance and tithing--rather than the calendar.

But Mormon scholar Richard Lyman Bushman of Claremont Graduate University School of Religion in California believes the calendar was the real problem, noting that "a third or half of the church doesn't tithe or go and they don't discipline all of those people." The issue for LDS authorities, Bushman says, is probably the juxtaposition between the chaste look of the missionaries and the "introduction of faintly erotic themes into that image. To say, 'Listen to the missionaries because they're also powerhouse bodies and pulsating sexual beings,' that's not what the church wants."

Melissa Proctor of the Harvard Divinity School thinks Hardy's excommunication could also be "calculated as a warning message from the leadership to Mormons who bought the calendar or to the returned missionaries who hope to pose in the next issue that such behavior is unbecoming." If so, Hardy said it failed; none of the 2009 models have tried to back out. (They couldn't even if they wanted to at this point, he says; the 2009 calendar is already at the printer's.)

The fact that the calendar has been a hit among gays--and that the 2008 and 2009 editions feature two openly gay men each--is undoubtedly somewhat discomfiting to a faith that accepts gay members only if they are chaste, Bushman said. Hardy estimates that half the 2008 calendars were bought by men. He and some of the models have been interviewed by gay publications. "I like to joke that this is the tamest beefcake calendar a gay man could ever own," Hardy quips.

Still, Bushman doesn't think the calendar's gay appeal was the deciding factor for the church. "If they had done this with lady missionaries, it would have had the same results," he says. That proposition may be tested soon. Hardy is planning a 2010 calendar of women he's calling "Mormon Muffins: A Taste of Motherhood," in which mothers will pose and offer their favorite recipes. Bushman predicted that "turning mothers into hot babes" would disgust most Mormons including himself, owing to the faith's reverent attitude toward women. Cover model Bloomfield expressed his own concerns. Says Bloomfield, "There's a very fine line here and [Hardy's] gotten close to it with the one with us, but when you start to do it with women, you start to get into the danger zone."

"I shoot at wolves, I don't dance with them." :)
Stands With A Fist

No veggie in the fridge is safe!! lol

Bury me in the hills so i can fertilize the grass and grow bigger animals for the rest of ya

Uhh, maybe I should clarify.. Im a dudette, not a "dude". Saying that, not sure, I havent seen the whole calander yet.;-)

"I shoot at wolves, I don't dance with them." :)
Stands With A Fist

>
>Each man said he received a
>reassuring e-mail from Hardy telling
>them that his excommunication was
>the result of personal conduct
>issues--his lapsed attendance and tithing--rather
>than the calendar.

Pretty sure there's more to this story than Hardy is letting on. Selling a calender of guys with thier shirts off won't get you ex'ed.

You can bet he's done something much worse than the calendars, quit going to church or paying tithing. Maybe someday he'll tell the 'rest of the story'. The church can't and won't.

>>
>>Each man said he received a
>>reassuring e-mail from Hardy telling
>>them that his excommunication was
>>the result of personal conduct
>>issues--his lapsed attendance and tithing--rather
>>than the calendar.
>
>
>Pretty sure there's more to this
>story than Hardy is letting
>on. Selling a calender of
>guys with thier shirts off
>won't get you ex'ed.
>
>You can bet he's done something
>much worse than the calendars,
>quit going to church or
>paying tithing. Maybe someday he'll
>tell the 'rest of the
>story'. The church can't
>and won't.

I agree. You always only hear one side of the story when somebody gets exed, so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

How about "Mormon Muffins" "A taste of Motherhood" good thing most mormons don't have a clue what a muffin is IMO, let alone taste one. This guy is thinking 100% about himself and putting a buck in his pocket not getting recognition for the church. What a dope.

Holy crap, that's about the funniest thing ever!!! How uptight to you have to be to actually excommunicate someone from a religion just for producing a 'beefcake' calendar???? Who should give a crap about what these poor RMs do in their free time????? Too funny.... LOL

S.

:)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-08 AT 01:09PM (MST)[p]Well it is a little more complicated matter than just a "beefcake calendar". There are many issues at stake that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has to consider and yes it might seem a little "uptight" to the casual observer, but the Church will go to great lengths to protect its image and its members. We have very strong beliefs regarding modesty and standards that we teach the youth of the church by principle and example. Missionaries should be the most shining example of virtue and righteousness. Any one who has served a mission will understand how sacred a calling it is. To me, a return missionary and father of two (maybe three) missionaries, it is a disgrace that sends the wrong message about our beliefs and our values to the members of the church and the world who already have many incorrect misconceptions about us. Personally I hope all that participated receieve the appropriate measure of discipline from the church for their participation. If that means excommunication, as severe as it may seem, it is the right thing for the individual and the church as a whole.

As stated in the other posts, it appears though that this one individual had other issues that precluded this event and ultimately led to his excommunication. That being said, excommunication is a very serious step in a repentance process that actually brings healing to the soul. It is a very sacred and private matter that we really have no business speculating about and I hope this member is able to complete the process and return to full membership in the church, along with the rest of those who particpated.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

VERY WELL SAID ROY, AND 257 TONY. LIKE ALWAYS THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING ELSE TO THE STORY.

BUGLEMN

I'm totally against it as well, kinda sickens me, the thought of a bunch queer-bates caressing themselves whilst gazing at dudes.
Nevertheless the jury's out as to what I'd think about a Lady missionary calendar, especially if they were blessed with large kid feeding, lactating devises.

Peak,

I am mormom and have tasted the forbidden fruit. Don't tell the bishop.
There are a couple "sisters" in my ward that I would like to see.
Oh I'm going to heck now.

Hell......he probably wouldn't have been ex'ed if he'd have came out with that calendar first. Maybe even promoted....lol.

I ALWAYS WAIT FOR A REPLY BY Beefy!!!

LKFLD!!!

LMAO!!!

THEY'D EX YOU Beefy IN A NEW YORK SECOND!!!

YA,THE BISHOP WOULD BE PLEASED!!!

THERES MONEY IN THIS $HIT Beefy!!!

YOU MODLIN???

OR MAKING A LKFLD CALENDER???

AND HOWDY Roy!!!

YOU OFF THE MOUNTAIN YET???

GOOD MEETING YOU!!!

HAVE FUN ON YOUR VACATION!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Look on the bright side you can buy alotta hunting gear with that 10% he'll be saving

>Peak,
>
>I am mormom and have tasted
>the forbidden fruit. Don't tell
>the bishop.
>There are a couple "sisters" in
>my ward that I would
>like to see.
>Oh I'm going to heck now.
>

bub,

Sounds like you're going into eigth grade.LOL You're a baaaaad boooy. Hope you don't butter the muffin before you partake of it. I think you missed my point.

Well said Roy. This whole incident has really been an absolute joke. Look who broke the story to the new media...Mr. Hardy. All he was looking for was a way to get some free publicity for his calendar. He "left" the church along time ago, and even pondered having his name removed from the church records. I think he figured this would be make a better story.

Anyone who thinks that Mr. Hardy was exed for the calendar alone has no idea about how the excommunication process works in the LDS church. The church does not like to excommunicate people, in fact they will often times work with people as much as they can to keep the excommunication from happening. In fact, the excommunication is actually a good thing sometimes. It allows the person to "right the ship", and begin the process of true repentance. Im sure Mr. Hardy had some "personal issues" and transgressions that he needed to work out for himself, and now he is trying to make the church look like they are excommunicating him for a calendar.

>Uhh, maybe I should clarify.. Im
>a dudette, not a "dude".
>Saying that, not sure, I
>havent seen the whole calander
>yet.;-)
>
F'Dude is his name for Feleno...another poster here on MM.

I'LL BET TEE-TEE-K HAS THE CALLENDAR???

HE...HE...!!!

JUST RAZZIN YA!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

I'm going to make my own Mormon Stud calendar. IT's going to be all about the studs of Mormon Church Basketball. It won't be shirtless, they'll be in their church uniforms and jersey. It'll just be a calendar to showcase some of the talented athletes and top physiques we have floating around in our local wards and stakes. LOL

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom