more hunters

N

new guy (Guest)

I am new here, but I have a question that I just have to ask.

I have been reading some of the threads on this forum, and I see a couple of items that come up regularly that seem to contradict each other.

It seems that many of the people here are in favor of getting more people involved in hunting, whether it be women or children, many people here would like to see MORE PEOPLE involved in hunting.

On the other hand, there are quite a few people here that are disgusted with the number of fellow hunters that they see when out hunting, making it seem like many people favor LESS PEOPLE actually out in the hills.

So which is it? More people involved or less?

We better get more people involved or hunting will become a thing of the past.

Mike
at235.gif

Great question! I have noticed this conundrum (sp?) for a long time in hunting circles. Publications like American Hunter are always encouraging getting more people involved in our sport. I, on the other hand, have never noticed a shortage of hunters anywhere I have ever been.

Personally, I think that it is those that make money off of hunting that are pushing the "more hunters" agenda. I think my hunting (and I am just speaking for myself) would be much more enjoyable if there were fewer hunters. Fewer hunters would translate into more mature animals to hunt, as well as less crowding. (Honestly, have you ever heard anyone say they wished there hunting spot was more crowded.)

I guess the only way I could understand the "more hunters" argument is if there is a large drop-off in younger hunters entering the sport. Then, and only then, could I understand actively recruiting more kids into hunting (other than those who come by it naturally I mean, such as through family and friends that hunt, those are always welcome).

As we are all aware, America's population is growing, and the amount of huntable property is decreasing (through development, no-trespassing signs, etc.). Therefore, there has to be a steady decline in the percentage of hunters in the population just to keep hunting pressure and crowding at today?s levels.

Anyway, I would never discourage anyone from hunting and plan to recruit my children when they are old enough, but do not understand anyone who endorses mass recruiting to hunting.

Hope I was clear. Not trying to start an argument.

Mark

I agree with Family Man. I can't say that I want to see more hunters, but I hate to see someone miss the thrill and excitement and friendships that can be built from hunting.
Especially the youth! It is something they can do that is constructive and enjoyable and if it can keep one kid away from drugs, or any other undesirable juvenille activity, then get them involved. There is nothing worse that seeing the kids nowdays that have nothing else to do but get into trouble because they don't have anything enjoyable or constructive to do. I'll give up some of my "space" to save a kid from that!!
I know that an interest in the outdoors and hunting and fishing is what kept me going and got me to where I am today. If I hadn't been interested in something, I'm sure I could have easily found something else to do, with bad results, if you know what I mean?
What do you others think??
a*r

Less hunters??? means eventually a loss of the sport! We need to encourage the younger generation to get involved! Here in Utah we are down to 10% of the population hunts down from 25% from 30 years ago.

More hunters, no question. We need young folks to carry on the tradition, just as we have carried it on after our fathers. Less hunters = less interest = less support = more tree huggers = the end of hunting.

I agree that even if you see a couple of deer hunters in the same general area, it's frustrating and just plain "too many hunters out there". That's the bad news. The good news is, and I think that most of us here have learned that (in general) new and novice hunters (and older hunters) tend to stick close to the roads. I think the stats I read last year said that 80% of deer hunters do not venture farther than 1/2 mile from a road. So if you don't want to see hunters, then get out extra early (not 1/2 hr. before gray light) hike in farther than they will be. You won't see all those hunters if you do that, and you'll see more critters.......and hopefully less quads running the canyons.........

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom