More elk than deer?

B

BOOMSTICK

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-10 AT 11:06AM (MST)[p]I have been hunting all my life in idaho for both deer and elk. granted i am only 20, it seems there has been a drastic change in the wildlife dynamic since i have started hunting. the past few years hunting i have had much more success in seeing many more elk per season than deer. not only cow elk but also more bull elk than i see bucks. is it just where i have been hunting (no tellem island) or is it consistant across idaho that the elk herd is booming while the deer herds are failing? obviously there arent more elk than deer in idaho but it seems like where you find elk there are more than there are deer where you would typically see deer. your thoughts on the subject?

Boomstick,

Since you posted a 39 buck this year I'm going to assume you are speaking in the general 39 area. I have hunted 39 for several years and I've seen more elk while deer hunting in there than I have seen in years past. (I'm talking strictly general rifle season). And up until the day I got my buck I had seen 7 bulls, quite a few cows, 4 does and 0 bucks. That day I got my buck I saw 30-40 deer. So in my humble opinion it depends on where you are. Once elk season opened I personally had a hard time finding the elk...go figure.

By no means is the elk her booming. And yes the deer herds are failing, but if you would head out now I bet you would see a lot more deer then you did a month ago. They are always in there just hard to find. It is time to get rid of all of those doe tags.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom