Moose

IDoutdoors

I'm looking into putting in for a bull moose this year. I live in Idaho Falls and wanted some feed back what hunters thought about units to put in for within 1 hour of Idaho Falls. I have done a little research on the net. Just wanted to know about access, numbers, size, etc. I Want to have a few units to scout before putting in this May. I'm looking for a decent bull 35-40 or so.

Thanks in advance....
Brian

Morning Brian,
Make sure you check the app. period, it's the month of April up here should be the same there.
Gary
Moscow, Id.

The low end of your bracket is about the average size for every bull unit in the 60's. Finding a 40"+ is doable in any unit within an hour of IF, but we are still harvesting too many each year. Look to your odds and harvest stats on IDFG webpage and you'll see what I mean. Odds anywhere from 2:1 to 10:1, and size is generally reflected in the odds.

Logistics are important when moose hunting, as they are big animals. Definition "Good moose" equals close to the road, "Great moose" means a big one close to the road! Most people want one close to the road, and shoot any size. Learn to bone it out, and it's just like packing elk. Bring a friend!

Scout a little but don't get burnt out if you aren't seeing a lot. They tend to lay up in the shade all summer, and only get good and active once the rut starts. I'd hunt every day from Sept. 25th thru Oct. 10th, then again from Nov.1st until closing.

i know a couple good spots for anyone looking into riggins area or if you change your mind on location. i have no idea of anything in east idaho but from the info given here it sounds pretty promising. good on the app and hunt!

I agree with Blank. That is what I have found also. Can give you some help if draw in any of the 69 hunts. Good luck

Good info from Blank. I really second the logistics considerations. If you have access to horses you could hunt deeper in and would have a better chance at a good bull. I shot mine with a bow along the Teton River during the rut, so I could get a boat to within 30 yards of him. I would not want to bring one out on my back, even with a buddy, from very far in. As far as areas the Pine Creek pass area always holds decent numbers of moose. Fall Creek and Bear Creek are good too, and occasionally those areas produce some real monsters.

My impression is that moose numbers are down in this region from a few years ago. There is a carotid artery parasite that is a reducing moose numbers in western WY (no, it's not just the wolves), and IDFG is trying to get a handle on just how bad it is over here. Apparently it takes a few years to kill, and some can survive it, but I think it will be a factor in reducing the numbers of older bulls. The taxidermists here in Swan Valley reported finding 3 dead bulls in Bear Creek this year, one barely alive, with no sign of injuries. Sounds like the disease to me. You gotta wonder why the Mtn. Men never talked about moose in the region. White people killing them certainly wasn't a factor in the early 1800s. Makes me wonder if diseases won't allow moose to thrive at lower latitudes over long periods of time, but who knows. Good luck, they are fun to hunt, especially during the rut.

IDO:

Here's some other thoughts. Look at the 2011-2012 proposals for Moose/Sheep/Goat on IDFG's website. You have until January 14th to make comments. Make sure you go to the scoping meetings they will have before finalizing regs - good info available and the bios are willing to talk a lot more at the meetingas than they will later, if you draw a tag. Some ups, some downs but you will still be able to figure it out from draw odds, harvest reports, and looking at a map or two.

You get that tag, give me a shout. Love to help whack moose!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom