Moose Video and Draw Odds

S

South_slope

Looked up my draw odds now that I have 12 points and looks like I only have 66 more years until I am in the max point group. Hope the wolves don't kill them all before I get a chance. Guess I better start looking outside the state a little harder.

5443moose_odds.jpg

Took this video with my iPhone while on my wifes elk hunt. Wished I had a moose tag and my bow.

http://www.monsterhuntclips.com/video/2221/Utah-Moose-2012

That is a nice looking Shiras bull, thanks for sharing the video!

NRA Life Member

Leftys are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

S_slope,, YOUR KILLING ME!
I was one of the 4 guys in the 16 point pool for Yellowstone
last year! (1 out of 4) Going back at it with 17 this year.

I was putting in for Kamas, til they changed boundaries last
year on Soapstone and Hwy 150....

That is on SWEET water hole you have found there!
I too am going to try and seal the deal with a bow when I draw.
I'm all but there, 66% chance of drawing this year if nothing
changes...

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Looks like they have cut tags by more than half on the south slope over the last couple years. I have seen some great bulls in the past on the unit. Good luck drawing.

Thanks Slope_,
And yes, I'm convinced the tag cuts last year cost me a permit.
The year before (2010) I had a couple nice bulls found on the
Upper Provo River. Then, the Boundary line was on the Soapstone
road, and S-stone Mountain was part of the Kamas Unit....

Then last spring, They changed unit boundaries to match the new
opt 2 deer unit boundaries. ,, SCREWED ME UP big time!
They also cut the Kamas permits 50%, but it took everything
I had scouted on the north side of Hwy 150 into Kamas, and the
two bulls I wanted to hunt on the S Slope side ..

Needless to say it through me for a loop!
I've already made arrangements this year, if I draw the SSY tag,
I can spend a ton of time in July/Aug learning the south side
of Hwy 150.. ,,,,,Awesome Video! Love the treestand! Wink ;-)

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Good luck to both you guys. I have 6 points and will never draw, lol. I only put in for hopes of winning the lottery. Looks like a good bull there in the video. I know how frustrating it is. We find some big bull moose on the Wasatch unit every year and know we will never get to kill one unless we win the moose lottery or the powerball to purchase an auction tag. I hope you draw Goofy and wack a good!

www.biggamedrawodds.com

I've been trying to draw a North Slope tag for years. I now have 18 points and counting. This year I am guarunteed not to draw because it is my 15 year anniversary and my vacation will be tied up with that. I am sure I am not a shoe in, but I was starting to get optomistic untill the tag numbers were gutted.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-13 AT 04:24PM (MST)[p]I was married for 38 years and that didn't stop my elk hunt:)

Not trying to rub it in, and I am very very fortunate for the luck and the opportunity I had. In 2008 I drew a wasatch moose tag with 1 point! It was a shock of a life time! I made the most of it and held out for my goal of shooting a 40+ inch bull that had fronts. He is not the biggest bull and has hardly any palmation, but he is just shy of 42 wide and had the fronts I wanted.
My point is you have 15 pts! your odd are way better than mine were! Just keep putting in and cross your fingers! You never know when it will happen! I just wanted to give you some hope for this years draw! Good luck and I hope your dream of moose hunting comes through! It will be worth the wait! If nothing else start saving your money and head to canada or alaska for a moose hunt!

Hey...thanks for the encouragement! Been "studying" moose tags and hell... there's only 462 people with 16 or more points in the system :eek:

I'm thinking CWMU if I can narrow it down. Easy to find the CWMU's that guys don't like, not as easy to find the hidden treasures. Even the CWMU's are log jammed...Deseret had 633 applicants with only 2 tags...with the top point holder having 19 points.

Anyone with CWMU recommendations I'm all ears...via PM.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom