Moose Unit Picks

Zim

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-11 AT 09:02AM (MST)[p]Oops. Saw the deadline passed and wanted to see where others applied but forgot WY allows changing apps until April 15th so never mind! x(

Unit 25 with 11 points. No peekin' over the line Norby :>)
When is the draw ? I'm guessing results posted on the 29th of April. Where did you apply Zim ?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-11 AT 10:21PM (MST)[p]Unit 20 with 11 points. There were 4 applicants from my draw pool for the 4 tags last year for 100% draw rate. Now watch this year ten locust will emerge from their point holding to steal my tag.

Any of you guys putting in for unit 10 plan on backpacking? Or going with a guide? I thought about 10 close.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-11 AT 09:46AM (MST)[p]Rob, I teetered on unit 23 for a long while, but the plunge in success rate last year scared me away. Did you make some calls to find out exactly why that happened? I should have called a CO over there to get a run down. Got so used to not drawing I put less effort than in the past.

Your pick was probably very good for 7 points. That success rate may drop applicant numbers considerably this year, reducing competition.

Zim,

What did the G&F bios say about the moose population in 20? It looks like the permits and success rates have stayed constant the past 5 yrs.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-11 AT 02:29PM (MST)[p]dw, Although I should have, I didn't call the unit 20 biologist. Reason was the success rate has been so constant. Also I read a lot of steady reviews about it, had a friend who scouted it. Plus as mentioned, so used to not drawing got tired of wasting time.

I did see several references that wolves supposedly reduced the tag quota there, but the records I later found did not indicate that.

I liked unit 10 also but I don't have horses and all I read about it suggested them.

Nah----I never even consider harvest rates----ya never know from one year to the next what type of hunter drew out.

Some high success years turns out to be alot of guided hunters......and low success years turns out to be alot of DIY hunters-----staying close to roads for getting the big ole moose off the mountain.

I got my lil' honey holes for moose from chasing elk/deer in the overlap species units from time to time.....

I had the 5 year wait before I could get back in the game on moose.....I am all about Random Tag!! haha

Robb

Zim,

Thanks. Did the same as you, except as a resident (wife's tag). I figured I'd worry about it if she draws.

Good luck!

Zim;

Im a N/R with no horses, so backpacking & getting a moose out of the sticks isn't reasonable (at least I don't think so). I've been in unit 10 a 1/2 doz times and seen some pretty good bulls. Most likely going by myself (without buddies), so guided is about the only reasonable way to get way back in and get a bull out. I'm not interested in a "next to the road bull". Just my approach.

Good luck guys......

unit 26 with 11 nr points. getting closer to drawing and now gas is 4 plus a gallon. oh well I will only get to moose hunt once.... ce61

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom