Moose report

devobrodie

I just got home from my E. Idaho moose hunt, I was lucky enough to get some great advice and local knowledge from Blank, it was great to get the help for a once-in-a-lifetime hunt. I was able to connect on a nice bull, it was just me and my wife so we had our work cut out for us, but it was a great trip. We hiked up a drainage the first night and sat and called for a couple of hrs, but no response, after hiking out we had just enough light to drive a bit of road and glass the hillsides, I spotted a moose just before dark and it turned out to be a very small spike. My plan for the next day was to hike into a different canyon that had some old beaver ponds I had found during one of my scouting trips, but in the middle of the night I thought I should drive back up to where we saw the spike the night before, and glass to open hillsides before the sun hit everything, then go into the timber I didn't see anything, at first light I saw a moose feeding in the open several hundred yards up from where I saw the small bull, it was a cow, it started to trot across the hillside then slowed down. I thought I could hear some faint bull grunts and kept glassing the area, a bull walked out of some aspens following after the cow, after the first look I knew he was pretty good so I was watching him through my scope, when he turned his head towards me I knew he was a good bull, I love width in anything. I had a 175 yard shot and took it. The shot was higher than the high shoulder shot I was trying for but it dropped him in his tracks, I will take some luck any time! I wasn't to far from camp maybe less than 2 miles so I returned to camp and woke up my wife and asked her to get up grab some food and come help me, I returned and started on the bull, she came up in about 30 minutes or so and gave me a hand, it was much appreciated! I am getting too old for this!! HA.
Moose pack.jpg

Moose 1.jpg

Moose 2.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom