moose question

B

boneaddict

I called the Idaho Fish and Game after a years wait, and found out that my Dad's Booner Idaho moose was 8. My idaho was 4 and my Washington trophy was 14.

My question is....does anyone know what the peak age for trophy antlers would be for a moose, or the age bracket that they are the largest. I'm guessing 8-10 or maybe 12. Anyone know????

I know a guy that shot a B&C moose that was teeth-aged at 4. I'm pretty sure if that bull was allowed to grow a couple more years with good precip and weather conditions he would have scored quite a bit higher. I would think moose are similar to elk where bulls are at their prime at 7 to 9 years of age? That is just an uneducated guess of mine?

I really think the combination of genetics, feed, and weather really dictate moose headgear. Here in Colo where moose have just been introduced the willows and other browse is in prime shape. I would venture a guess antlers develop quicker and better in areas like that? Even though I hunted a prime shiras unit in Wyo the browse was eaten to the bone. I have a feeling the same moose here in Colo would likely produce a lot better rack than the same moose in a unit in Wyo that had quite a few years of drought and browse was in horrible shape?

If you are talking NW Wyo there may not be any moose over 5 years of age pretty soon from what I've heard the grizz and wolves are doing!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-07 AT 06:15PM (MST)[p]About 8 years ago a fella shot one here in Maine that was the new state record for a couple years, 217 and change B&C. The state, which tooth ages about every moose tagged, said it was only 4 1/2. I don't know the age of the new one. Anyways, in spite of the 217+ bull's youthfulness, I agree with the 7 to 9 years as peak years. He must have been a genetic exception in an area of prime feed. As an aside to this, a friend of mine shot one back in the early eighties that was 17! The rack was no big deal.

I killed a nice moose here in western WY a couple years ago in an area that I have hunted for 20 years for elk. It was 4 1/2 yrs, my buddy killed one in the same area last year that was a lot bigger with even better horns but aged out the same. The only difference we could for sure identify was the feed was alot better the year he killed his vs my year.

By the way the poster is correct, Griz and wolves have almost killed out all the moose herd in some areas that border Yellowstone Park. I go to the Yellowstone meadows in the wilderness next to the park almost every summer and a friend has an outfitter operation in the area. Always use to see lots of moose and a few griz. Now you see no moose and griz everywhere. The griz have made it difficult to even go into the area anymore they are so agressive. My friend does not even take moose hunters anymore.

Interesting question! I did a quick internet search and the only information I could find that related was in the state of Washington. Their average harvest age since 1992 was 5.3 with an average antler width of 37 inches. Those results seem to make sense to me and I would bet they are pretty representative of most Shiras moose data.
I killed an 8.3 year old Wyoming moose who seemed to be in the prime of his life. He was 44" wide, but didn't score very well because he didn't have split brow tines that allow for a longer palm measurement. Instead he had huge dagger like front points. At the time I thought that maybe my bull was too old and going down hill, until my friend shot a bull in the same area a few years later with the exact same horn configuration only smaller.(38") His bull was only 5. So I now assume that my bulls weaknesses were all about the bulls genes and not his age.
My guess is similar to yours. 8 years old seems to be pretty prime for moose.

LittleBH is correct that genes definitely play a major role in antler configuration and development. I have a feeling there are only a handful of shiras bulls wothout forked brows that have ever made B&C. Forked brows (both sides) is likely a genetic trait. Unfortunately if every hunter harvests forked browed bulls it will likely lead to single browed bulls dominating a particular herd. There are some truely gigantic bulls that don't have forked brows that don't make B&C but definitely have a lot of wall appeal!

Not mentioned in any of the above posts is antler base circumference. You would think younger bulls would not have as thick circumference of pedesals as old bulls? I know in deer and elk the base usually grows a little each year and would expect the same thing with moose. Base circumference is such a small chunk of B&C score that most guys don't consider this important...I know I never did! Most bull base circumferences are within 1" of being the same so 2 pts either way really doesn't addloose much to a score. The 4 year old B&C bull mentioned above had 7 2/8" bases which is pretty good for a younger bull.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-07 AT 12:15PM (MST)[p]According to a book on moose biology and ecology prime time as mentioned above begins at 7 years and levels off for about the next 8 years depending on browse and a variety of factors. At 16 the bulls definitely begin to drop off. One bull we have in Colorado had about the same antler mass 3 years later but had increased in length by 5-in, decreased in width by 3-in, grown 2 more points, and the bases had increased by 3/4-in. You tend to see the more mature bulls get more browe heavy at the expense of their tops and some width.

IMGP0124.jpg

Excellent information guys. Thank you! Cool picture hotdiggity. I'll have to get some measurements done. My Washingotn moose had killer fronts on him, and that booner Idaho moose almost didn't have forked brows. I sure wish I would have pulled a tooth on my Alaskan bull from this year. I think he was getting up there in age. I'll have to get get some base measurements for you guys.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom