Moose points

B

Bullseye

Just wondering if it is worth still buying points for moose? I have 6 points now but wondering if I should just give up now?

I would certainly actually apply each year with the point option when Ya apply.

No one has ever drawn a Random tag with low points by just buying a Point.....they have drawn because they apply.

Go for it!

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-14 AT 07:35AM (MST)[p]I finally drew with 13 points, happily and luckily- and I had considered giving it up. Here is the way I look at it-

There is a lot of talk in WY that they will reduce the non-resident allocation percentage down to 10% of the sheep, moose, goat permits. This would eliminate over half the non-res moose tags.

Then factor in that WY has not increased fees for a few years, so we can reasonably assume license and point fees are going up in the near future.

Random draws are only in the 1/2 to 1 percent range.

Unless you are young, want to invest thousands of dollars and wait until you are very old, I would say bail. The system will change at some point and may not benefit you.

I'd take the money and go hunt something today. Moose hunts in Canada are in the $3,000-5,000 range.

Yeah I am pretty much out! By the time I draw there wont be anymore moose or they will be on the endangered list do to the wolves!

>Yeah I am pretty much out!
>By the time I draw
>there wont be anymore moose
>or they will be on
>the endangered list do to
>the wolves!

Buy a PP and go shoot a cow next year! You'll get a lot of meat, have fun, and won't have a taxidermy bill!

>>Yeah I am pretty much out!
>>By the time I draw
>>there wont be anymore moose
>>or they will be on
>>the endangered list do to
>>the wolves!
>
>
>Buy a PP and go shoot
>a cow next year!
>You'll get a lot of
>meat, have fun, and won't
>have a taxidermy bill!

Can you get a cow tag with that many points?

>>>Yeah I am pretty much out!
>>>By the time I draw
>>>there wont be anymore moose
>>>or they will be on
>>>the endangered list do to
>>>the wolves!
>>
>>
>>Buy a PP and go shoot
>>a cow next year!
>>You'll get a lot of
>>meat, have fun, and won't
>>have a taxidermy bill!
>
>Can you get a cow tag
>with that many points?

If you will look in the Draw Odds section on the G&F website, you'll see that your PPs will easily get you a cow tag in any unit that offers a cow hunt and there are a number of them.

If you want to go go for a cow, I'd put in next year for unit 1 up in the northeast area of the BigHorns. This year there were only 3 tags issued, but nobody with more than 3PPs applied. There are no wolves or grizzies up there and the moose population is doing very well. It's not uncommon to see a bunch right from the highway up off of 14 up there in the area of Burgess Junction.

>If you want to go go
>for a cow, I'd put
>in next year for unit
>1 up in the northeast
>area of the BigHorns.
>This year there were only
>3 tags issued, but nobody
>with more than 3PPs applied.
> There are no wolves
>or grizzies up there and
>the moose population is doing
>very well. It's not
>uncommon to see a bunch
>right from the highway up
>off of 14 up there
>in the area of Burgess
>Junction.

Sweet! Greats that's what I will do instead of waiting until I'm 80 years old in a wheel chair! Thanks for all the information Topgun

No problem! If it works out for you up there, please post some pictures of your hunt. You'll love the BigHorns, as it's about as gorgeous as any country you'll ever be in.

Just apply and then take a point. I can list a ton of people that get a tag with no or some points for moose and sheep.. Meanwhile my buddies dad got his moose tag after 28-29 years of putting in.....

>Just apply and then take a
>point. I can list
>a ton of people that
>get a tag with no
>or some points for moose
>and sheep.. Meanwhile my buddies
>dad got his moose tag
>after 28-29 years of putting
>in.....

Yeah I am going to go for a cow tag! I don't have 29 years left in me for hunting! I'm 52 now so that would make me pretty dang old!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom