Moose - Ogden unit

T

toolman

I need any feed back any one has good or bad. Access, quality, and enough moose to be a little picky? Thank you

lots of private property issues in the ogden unit.

but it is still doable,there are a few good spots for public land hunts

Good unit, lots of private property and the DWR pulls moose off this unit all the time to trade for turkeys etc with other states.

Thanks for the feed back. What do you think is the average size out of that unit.

Thanks for the feed back. I think it is wrong to trade any once in a life time hunt anamal. If they have to many give more permits. Some of us will die before we draw. Is ogden a good unit to hunt with a horse. Thanks

The public land is some steep country. My uncle had the tag last year and shot a small bull. We saw alot of small bulls and alot of cows but nothing big. I think it has gone down hill and there are better units if you want a big bull. But, im sure there are still some good ones just not as many as there once was. If you look at the harvest and how many days hunted from last year. I think it was around 12 day average to kill so those that killed had to work hard and spend alot of time. If you draw let me know and I will help with what I can

Thank you, I have 14 points and I want to do a little scouting and hunt more than the 5 days you get on the CWMU tag.

This unit is no where near what it once was. Between the winterkill two years ago and the state taking animals out last year the numbers are way down. My father drew the tag in 07 (the fall before the big winter). He killed a 46 inches wide moose. He saw one in the preseason that was taken by another hunter that ended up going 52 inches wide. He saw another later during the elk hunt that was just as big. The last two years the biggest animal I have heard of taken was low 40's. Most animals in the 35-38 inch range. I know a few guys who have had tags. My parents live in Ogden Valley. My dad keeps an eye on the animals thru the year. He says that there has definitely been a drop in both quality and quantity of animals. Also if you look at tag numbers the state cut the tags almost in half last year from what they had been issuing. (they were a year late in doing that). There is a lot of private ground but still plenty of access on public. I personally think that the best areas are on public land anyway. I know this sounds a bit negative, but I am just trying to give as accuate an account as I can. I think that there could still be some good animals they just aren't going to as plentiful. If you decided to put in and end up with the tag I will gladly share what info I can to help.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-10 AT 01:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-10 AT 01:02?PM (MST)

I would agree with Flyfool. Where we deer and elk hunt 10 years ago some days I would see 5 to 10 moose. Now if I see 2 or 3 its a good day. I have also noticed there are not very many old bulls anymore. However this year there seemed to be more younger bulls and we did see a few more moose. Things were looking positive. About 5 years ago we found a young bull dead bye a pond in late summer. We called the DWR and they came and looked they couldn't see any foul play. If I remember correctly I believe the officer stated they had been having a problem with pink eye in moose and for some reason it was really hard on them and was causing death. I believe this must have contributed to the decline because the area we hunt hasn't had anyone hunt it for moose in over 10 years. I know the winters didn't help but moose weren't removed for transplant or through hunting so I believe in our area it was related to disease.
There are some good areas on public ground but a lot of it is private ground.

Excellent post Paradise. I believe the unit still holds some good bulls. A guy just might have to hunt a little harder to find one. I also have noticed that antler growth following those tough winters really shows up in smaller antlers the following year. Some of those high 30s bulls could have been 40s bulls the year before the past harsh winter.

Also, I remember Utah receiving a large number of Colorado Bighorns. Nice to see states work together to enhance populations. I am glad we sent a few moose to Colorado, rather than having them die in that harsh winter.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

I snowshoe alot up in the Northfork area.

I have seen some real nice bull moose this year and a ton of turkeys.

I am not sure if they winter in Northfork and are actually out of the Cache unit? or what.

Robb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom