Moose in BC (picts)

S

Sitkaspruce

Here is some moose that I guided to in Central BC this year. It ws a great year, with lots of bulls coming to the call. In one four day period I called in 15 different bulls and we shot two of them.

This one is 51" wide. He came in after about an hour of calling from over a mile away. Very neat brow points on his right side.

DSC00227.jpg

This one is 54" wide and it took over an hour for him to get to us, grunting and thrashing bushes all the time. I use a Montana Decoy Cow Moose and I believe when he saw it it persauded him to come out.

DSC00240.jpg

This one is a great bull. The guy who took him is a bow hunter by heart and after some very close calls, he took this one with a rifle on the last day, in the last hour. 48" with great paddles and nice brow points.

DSC00257.jpg

All in all it was a great season. I tried two new things this year and I am impressed with both. The first was the Decoy, very easy to set up, worked as we had two smaller bulls come right in on top of us and I am sure it made some of the bulls slow down or come for a closer look. The second was the No Gut Method. It made dealing with a moose very easy and clean.

Sitka

congrats to ya all on some nice moose!! Sounds like success!!!
Oh and some fun also!

I am just curious but what is the no gut method?

Congrats to you and the hunters! Looks like beautiful Country!

Justin

- Long-Range, The next best thing to being there !!!!

Justin

The no gut method involves removing all the meat with out gutting the animal.

First you will need at least one other person if you are going to do an elk or moose, a couple of sharp knives and a tarp.
Make a cut from the but to the neck, along the back and then skin the animal down the the hocks. Take the front shoulder and push it up and away from the ribs, over the back, cutting the conective tissue as you go. Once it is removed lay it on the tarp or where ever it is clean. Repeat with the hind, cutting the leg away from the hip socket and placing it where ever. Next have your partner bone out the neck and brisket while you remove the backstrap. To access the tenderloin, make a small hole at the hip and you can reach in and remove it from there. Once all the meat has been removed from the one side, roll the animal over and repeat on the other side. if you want the ribs, then take a small hatchet or saw and cut off the top from the spine, and remove. Remember to do this last as it will get very messy if you try to do it before all the other steps ar completed. You can then bone out the legs or pack them or what ever you do to get the meat home.

I have found this method to be very easy and best of all very clean. Very little blood and no guts to deal with. If you need more info let me know

Cheers

Thanks for the reply! I will have to try that out next time!

Justin

- Long-Range, The next best thing to being there !!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom