moose help PLEASE

marley

Very Active Member
My brother in laws dad has 19 pts. for moose as a resident. This will very likely be his last year to be able to hunt as he has terminal lung cancer and has been given one year by his doctor. This would be a grandpa, son, grandson hunt that would be memories forever for them. His health is okay now and can get around okay maybe a mile or two walk. With 19 points he has about a 15% chance at a Wasatch tag so we don't want to chance him not getting the tag so what unit would you put him in for? He has a 100% chance at a few of the CWMU tags but I know nothing about them. He would most likely draw an East Canyon tag but I've heard its all private and with his medical bills I don't think a trespass fee is in the cards for him. ANY INFO OR THOUGHTS ON WHAT TO DO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I would ask a little about the Uintahs. I dont know alot, but it seems like there are a few that know it, And if I remember right, someone here may have had the tag last year and posted alot of pics of moose in and around some campgrounds that would have been fairly accessible. It may have been on Utahwildlife forum. But that may be an potion.

Check on Moose page for info on CWMUs. Study passed drawning by bonus points to see his odds for different units. He could draw some other units but the issue is how much can he get around due to his health. Depending on his health I would deriously look at some of the CWMUs and talk with contact to see what would be best and easiest for him to work with. Some will be quite helpful and some CWMUs would be in mountains he couldn't get around in.

I have heard good things about Weber Florence Creek. And while hunting areas close to the border of that CWMU I have seen some nice Moose.

No broadmouth this year. There is one called powder mountain that is probably the same area. There is only 1 public tag so there won't be a tag for the applicant with the most bonus points.

Choose the lowest elevation unit he can draw. Lung cancer and higher elevation changes don't go well together. An altitude change which a healthy person will not notice can kill a person with major lung deficiencies. PM will be on its way for an idea.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom