Moose from this morning

J

jims82

I headed out this morning to start scouting for my general archery deer hunt. While heading in I had a run in with this guy. I have seen him now three years in a row in the same area. This year he looks like he really might have some potential. I am not experienced judging moose so I wanted to get some opinions on how good is this moose really? Also, will he grow much more, I assume he will?
6816dsc_0106.jpg

Shiras? He is as good as they get. There are few bulls of this caliber (compared to years past) left with the disease issues. Sure some might be wider or whatever, but that bull is a stud.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

hard to judge at that angle but his fronts look nice. if i had a moose tag i would be going after him.

That is definately a Stud of a Bull!! That is some amazing growth for this time of year. Still 2 more months of growing to be done. Up here most bulls shred the velvet the last week of Aug to the first week of Sept.

>He's pretty decent Shiras, but he
>doesn't have any eyeguards that
>I can see.

Eyeguards??? He's got 4 points on his brow palms

If his palms match his fronts at all he's a giant. I get to look at a lot of nice bulls up here, but they never have fronts like that.

Any bull that has more than 2 browtines needs to hit the dirt. He's got 4 or so and he'll probably fill out. He will be a great bull THIS year.

TOPGUM is being sarcastic obviously.

Geez, I just took a quick look and thought his palms were turned forward and honest injun did not think that was his brows, LOL! If those are his brows, then he's going to be a damn good one. Sorry about that!!! Good luck seeing him when the season opens!

Flip-stick-run-down-track-done! My tag is filled (if I had one)!
Now the work starts.
Helluva shiras bull.
Zeke

Thanks for all the posts. This Bull is in the North Slope Summit unit. I won't likely ever have a Utah bull moose tag because I am 1 or 2 years away from Wyoming moose and am putting in for Desert bighorn here in Utah. I would love to see this big guy on the ground. If anyone you know has this tag and is interested I would be willing to spend sometime helping him get this bull. I am not a professional guide so I would never make any guarantees but Last year I saw this bull almost every time I entered this area to scout/hunt which was 6-7 occasions. This year on my first hike in I have already seen him so I feel confident given a few days I would be able to put anyone on him.

Oh man, I thought you had the tag. That's what I get for getting distracted by the picture. Guys with the tag are gonna trip over themselves any minute now :)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-12 AT 04:28PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-12 AT 04:28?PM (MST)

This is the kind of post I enjoy seeing, one hunter helping out another hunter. This is a great bull. Thanks for the offer. I have a friend with this tag. I will send a pm.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-12 AT 05:20PM (MST)[p]Looks like a great shiras bull, but hard to say what the top looks like from that photo. I see 3 brows, the others are in the 'gap' and not considered brows by AK standards.

I like to see big brows on adult size moose though... ;-)

9967may16.jpg

6861may13.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom