Moose expectations

C

chukarhunter

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-14 AT 09:46PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-14 AT 09:43?PM (MST)

I am curious as to what is considered a shooter bull. I suppose the final answer is simply any bull is ok as long as the hunter is ok with it. I should draw out in the next few year even though sometimes it seems like I'll never draw out. I am currently sitting on 20 points.

I am curious what is the average size bull that is harvested in Utah.

I would say when you draw the tag give Dallas Hemeyer a haller he will put ya on a good bull! Ha that's how I would know a shooter

Moose take longer to mature, so I'd say at least a 9-10 year old bull would be desirable with heavy horns, nice palms (width/length), at least a 38 inch spread with at least double brow tines on both sides and a total of 8-10 points on each side should do it.

Moose antlers have 4 components: spread, palm (length and width), number of points (longer than an inch), and front palms. A B&C moose will have it all, at least double fronts, 8-10 points per side, nice palms, and 40"+ spread.

Many bulls have a combination of the four characteristics, but lack one or more. If your not looking for your name in the record book, the bottom line is what will look good in your hunting pictures, and on the wall. Google bull moose pictures and you will see the many different kinds of moose antlers that are out there in nature.

Moose population isn't doing that well and most unit have had many tags cut. If you find a 4 1/2 year old bull you are getting close to the top end of the bulls now though there are still a few great bulls in the right unit or CWMU. I got mine in 2009 a 7 X 8 39 inch with my bow and he was a 4 1/2 year old.

4045dscf3103.jpg

Was a public land bull. The unit I got him has been over hunted for the last five years with a lot of tags for CWMUs and public tags so the quality is way down. Had a friend turn that tag back in last year because couldn't find a nice bull.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom