moose draw question.

C

conan

Hello. Wifes points buildin up. Sitting around 15. Been just buying points each year. Question...

What is a good unit to put in for?

Figure id better research a bit before we actually put in. Just lookin for ideas. Oh and its in Utah.

They've cut tags in pretty much every unit except the Wasatch, so you're odds are probably better to draw there. I hunted the Cache unit a few years back and would be happy to share what I learned.

+1, you might want to weather the storm for awhile longer until the herds rebound...odds are horrible right now.

I wouldn't weather the storm, I'd apply. Who knows what the future holds for moose in the lower 48. Take a look at Minnesota, they used to have a booming population in the late 90's. Now the northwest corner has ZERO moose and the Northeast herd is dwindling fast and no longer can hunt them.
The only state I know of with a increasing herd is CO.
What will the odds look like in 10 years in UT if the herd drops even farther? Plus throw in your age, will you realistically be able to hunt moose in 10-15 years? Have no clue how old you/your wife is but that is a long time.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Weather the storm by APPLYING every single year.... and pray for the drawing-gods to smile on her. Even at 15 points, she's well back in the herd.
Zeke

Zeke is right, Unless permit numbers increase, 15 pts is a
LOOOOOONG way out of any bonus permits.

I drew this year with 18 points, my wife has 16 points.
Did the math on the same unit and she may not draw it for 15 years!

Pretty sad! Anyone below 16 will have to get VERY lucky to
draw in the next 10 years or so.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Yes you got to play to get lucky, but just don't expect a guaranteed draw in any until the herds rebound (if they do) or a lot of years pass...my auto mechanic got lucky drawing early on the Wasatch two years ago so you never know.

Put in every year. I drew out a Wasatch tag 5 years ago with 5 points. Yes- I would have rather used that lucky draw for the power ball millions, but I was really happy to get to hunt my moose.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom