Montana Goat HD314

E

Edpre

Anybody here ever chase goats in Unit 314? Since I absolutely know that I'm drawing that tag next week..... a little help would be helpful. Plan on driving up Rock Creek w/ horses, keeping camp at the "corral" (or what's left of it). Spike out from there on a few two-day hunts, making my way up to the Sentinel. I hunted elk there a few years ago and saw plenty of goats, never got too close or paid too much attention to them. Would love to hear some first-hand experience with this area.

Now, what do I do when I draw this and 680 sheep....?

Edpre

How did you do last year in the breaks?

48461bbc1c983664.jpg

Had a great time. Found out for sure that you do not drive in the breaks when it rains, after spending the first two days of the hunt camping alongside the stuck truck. We were into elk solid for two full days, some pretty big bulls, but never put a shot together. Pulled out and went north to 620 chasing 'lopes. Connected on a 13"-er on our last day. He was running with a solid 15+, but the big-un had a doe on each side guarding him, so I took my first 'lope, his little brother. I'm back in for a 620 tag this year, didn't draw my elk tag. Should be at least a little easier chasing 'lopes on the season opener, rather than two weeks into the season. Those buggers were skittish when we were a mile away! Overall it was a great hunt and I'm looking forward to doing it all again. Except for the stuck in the gumbo part.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-08 AT 03:38PM (MST)[p]Glad you had fun. That gumbo really is really crappy stuff. Good luck in the draws!
ismith

48461bbc1c983664.jpg

I also put in for 620. There are some big bucks out there if you know the right people. I saw a few running around last year that were pushing 16" I am betting money. There was three of them in the group I saw and they stayed around all year long on private land. Didnt have a tag so they got to walk. Has anyone ever seen a three horned antelope? We saw one about 2 years ago in the same area. THe third horn was coming through the top of the head between the two original horns.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom