montana antelope?????

grouseslayer

Im looking at trying to burn 2 montana antelope points this year. Im from Idaho and don't have very much time so was looking at the 300 district. Was waundering about units 320 or 318 or mabe 514 just because the units in wyoming that border 514 seem to be good units. I would realy like at least a 14 incher or better is this a possibility? what units have better public access? Thanks for any help.

514 has good access and 14" should be doable

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

So which is it is 514 good or bad. Another unit I was looking at is 321 I hear it has good access and the antelope migrate into this unit when the snow hits is this true? Do the antelope stay in or migrate into units 320 or 514? If you would like you can PM me or email me at [email protected]. If you have pics of antelope from these units that would be cool to see them also. I have shot 2 low 70s antelope in Idaho so would like to find on a little bigger.

US 212 and US 310 bisect unit 514. I grew up in Billings, Montana and have made the drive between Billings and Red Lodge over a 1,000 times, maybe up to 2,000 times, use to go skiing 70 times a year. I have never seem an antelope on that drive. There are small herds of antelope around Roscoe and Absarokee most of the land is private and in 1 or 2 section ownership tracts. On the MT/WY border in the Cottonwood Creek area there is a very large tract of BLM which should have some antelope and it is the only area in Montana that has a good huntable chuckar population. I would nix that area unless you are a local.

I would look at units 300,301,330,318,310,and 321 all these areas have state, forest, and large amounts of block management lands. Area 360 is the Madison Valley with large heards of antelope on private lands with minor block management areas. The game warden told me that there are a number of ranches that allow antelope hunting and to call him if I got a permit. Permission for antelope hunting does not mean permission for elk hunting though.

Check the drawing odds then apply. I know of no honey hole but antelope hunting is possible. My first choice will be in one of the 300 areas mention and 2nd choice will be in the 700 area.

Thanks elk375 for the info. Do you know if in 320 and 321 the antelope stay through the whole hunt or do they migrate in or out of these areas. Is the 700's realy any better than these two units? I was looking at the 700s but my hunting time would probably be cut in half due to no vacation, where as the 300s I can go up on the weekends.

Thinking more about 514 and the Wyoming border,the climate and vegetation change within a few miles into Montana.

I do not know anything about the migration of antelope in those areas. I hunt elk there every year and I see antelope. One would wnat to hunt opening day and the following weekend. Montana's antelope season is late and the bucks will start losing their horns in late October.

700 district would provide a lot of public ground as well as some large acreage in Block Management. If you are patient and spend the time, your goal should be reasonably attainable.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom