Monster Rooster

Stillwater165

Very Active Member
Not sure where this one hid for the last few years or what he ate but he sure grew some tail feathers !!!!
06BDCAE4-E047-4A8B-AD11-4C5410BE54FF.jpeg

Beautiful bird!
It’s refreshing to see a post like this for a change.
When I was younger I hunted wild ringnecks in the swamplands of Sonoma county California. One of my greatest passions second only to mule deer hunting.
Congratulations and thanks for posting. That brings back some old memories for sure.

He’s an Iowa bird , came out of a little chunk of willows mixed with crp that is just lousy full of coyote and fox. They are making a comeback. I do taxidermy so he’s in the freezer on my list !

I think 22 inches is about the longest tail feathers I ever got on the wild birds I hunted when I was young.

It was a lucky shot , but thanks for the comments ! This little chunk of cover he was in is literally in the middle of nowhere. I’m no professional rooster measurer but tip to tip id call him 28”. And yes his spurs are also nice. He was the only rooster in the patch with a bunch of hens , I’m guessing he removed the competition !

This would be a north central Iowa bird , population has struggled bad the last ten years but crp grass is really making a comeback and along with it some birds. It’s nice to see them again !

Great bird!!! You shoot him under dogs?

I have only shot one Kock over my dogs in 20 years that I mounted..

Great spurs and 26.75 tail.

My son snatched the CRP grass on the mount when he was 2... HaHa
5AC3FFD8-9C4B-4065-BCBA-D82CCD96C512.jpeg
E1D08E6D-5A36-47C0-9C50-029134461DAD.jpeg

Spurs would be cool.. shot a couple with double spurs, but not near the tail-feature length..

Anyone got double spur pics?

Cool thread.. something different!!

To answer the question from above , yes I use a dog. Just one and he’s only 2 so he’s got a lot to learn yet ! Buts he’s coming along , He’s a Brittany.

The lousy Coons have all but eliminated those colorful birds in my neck of the woods. I miss those days of crapping my pants every time one exploded from under my feet!
Nice bird!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom