Monroe BEARS

B

bwhntr13

Im looking for a DIY self backpack bear hunt I have 5 points at this time. I had a buddy hunt elk on monroe area wondering if this is a worth while place to put in. If not any suggestions would be great is spring or fall better, bowhunting preferably. I like spot and stalk hunting thanks

My experience on Monroe hasn't turned up any bears. I don't see much sign of them either. Save your points, go after the Boulders!
Traditional only >>>------->

I grew up in Richfield. Never saw any bear sign on Cove or Monroe. I'm sure there are some there but times have really changed if they have a bear season specifically for Monroe. I always saw a lot of bear sign on the Booby Hole. Boulder was mentioned and I agree. Any of Fishlake high top country or Salina Canyon north would be good.

Maybe think about the Roadless Book Cliffs. That hunt is a spot and stalk only anyway - baiting is not allowed. It is a long ways in, but I see bears everytime we go in there. I would recommend the spring hunt however.

Jon
www.HuntersTrailhead.com

Let me change the question then some have recomended boulder does that have some good glassing country any other suggestions on good areas to apply for in the next year just want a good hunt with chance of seeing bear thanks

Not the Monroe yet, thank the Good Lord for that at least. Tushers is coming on, Fish Lake is a sleeper and the Boulder is hot with bear, as are the LaSal Mts out of Moab.

DC

Since you're wanting to do this spot & stalk, you need to be in an area with a high bear density. Of all the ways you can hunt bears, that is the most challenging (imo) so you need to play the numbers game. Get where there's a lot of bears. Monroe is definitely not it. Top 3 units in the state for bear density; 1-san juan, 2-la sal, 3-book cliffs. You're not quite there with your points, but close. Stick with it & get one of those tags. It will be worth the wait. That's my take.

"...I got a shotgun, rifle, and a 4 wheel
drive, and a country boy can survive..."

Hank Williams Jr.

I ran across four bears on the Book Cliffs road area this year while hunting elk. There seems to be a good concetration of them on that unit. Came face to face with a really good one on Pahvant last year during the muzzy hunt as well. Would have to recommend the Book Cliffs though, plenty of bear on that unit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom