Modest Riflescope

BGbasbhat

Very Active Member
I've decided on my rifle (.30-378 Weatherby) but now I need to decided on a scope. I like the range of 4-16 or something around there with an objective of 42 or possible 50. I wouldn't mind tactical turrets; but I don't think they are completely necessary right now.

I'm looking to spend around $500-$700, so please don't recommend Nightforce, Swaro, B&L, or Schmidt & Bender. I know they are the best scopes on the market; but they are out of my league..period. Maybe one day; but not now.

The scope must also be able to handle the recoil of the rifle. The Bushnell Elite line is the only one I know of that advertises its recoil-handling ability.

Any suggestions? Thanks

I'm sure you'll get recommedations for Leupold but take a look at Meopta's Meostar. I think Cabela's still carries them. They are a little on the heavy side, but so is all top glass, and seeming your going to be launching a 30-378 Weatherby, I don't think your going to be overly concerned with a few extra ounces. That would be my choice in that price range, no question.

EDIT: just checked and here is a screaming deal, right up your alley
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Hmmmmmm, interesting. To be honest I'm not sure why Meopta doesn't get as much press as the other European brands. I bought the Cabela's Euro 10x42s a couple years ago (which are made by Meopta)and I absolutely love them. They performed right there with my buddy's Leicas.

I'll be checkin out the Meopta Meostar scopes and see what's up on them. I think the 4-16x44 Tactical would be perfect.

Thanks for the tip MuddyBoots.

I have heard good things about Meopta also. Just not the press. Have you thought about Trijicon? At the expo I looked at their scopes and really enjoyed them. The Illuminated mil-dot in 3-10X50 is what I am going to buy for my AR. I have a Swarovski on my 22-250 and for Low light it is incredible. Does anyone know how good low light is with the Trijicon? The scope I am talking abotu is 750.00 or so.

Leupold VX II and VX III scopes in the configuration you describe are well within that price range-and they have been time-tested and proven by hunters all over the world. In every objective analysis I have ever read they are at or very near the top in comparison to every scope made.

Haven't thought about Trijicon. I don't know much about them. I can't get on their site right now (at work). How's the warranty?

Leupold is the tried and true standby for sure, and the warranty is the best. I was just wondering if there's something else out there in the same range.

Does anybody know how the warranty works with Cabela's Bargain Cave? The last time I was over there I remember them having a bunch of open boxed Leupolds on sale.
I don't think you can return the item if it's bought from the Bargain Cave; but will Leupold's warranty still hold up? If it breaks am I S.O.L or can I just call Leupold and take care of it?

I am pretty sure Leupolds warranty is still good

nnl.gif

GO HEELS!

And with that big boomer of a rifle you best be extra sure whatever scope you get can take punishment. Again, Leupold is proven in that regard.

As an aside,when reading outdoor articles the VAST majority of guys are using Leupold-unless they are plugging some other brand in the article.

That tells me all I need to know.

(And,no,I have no affiliation with the company.Just know what works by 35+ years of hunting.)

Yep, you can still return it to Leupold for repair. You can buy a used one off of E-Bay and send it to Leupold for repair also. They do have a great warranty. That's the only great thing I can say about them.

I just went through the exact same dilemma and have selected the Nikon Monarch 3-12x42. I went in looking at the Leoupold VX-IIs and the Cabelas guy showed me the Nikon Monarch's (saved some money). Additionally, I talked to the guide I used last year and the guide I'm using in two years and both recommended the Nikon Monarch over the Leoupold. Based on it's ability to pull in lite in low light conditions.
Also, I went to the Bargain cave to see if I could save a few more dollars and still get the quality scope with warranty. What I found is that Cabelas has an awesome return policy through past experiences; and Nikon's come with a lifetime warranty whether you're the original owner or not. For farts and giggles, my previous scope that I kept for my sons rifle is a Burris Fulfield II with the Ballistaplex (3x9).
I'm shooting a Tikka T3 Lite in the .300 WSM (180 gr) so it comes with some punch and should handle well.
Now I just need to learn how to use the parrallax adjustments.

good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom