Mnt goat penetration

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I am bowhunting mnt goats this fall. I hear they are hard to put down. I am wondering if they are hard to penetrate vs a similar sized deer?

I am shooting around 50 ft-lbs KE. Normally for elk I got 1-1/8", whitetails 1-3/4".

I know mnt goats are tough - but realistically I do not anticipate penetration to be an issue. I am leaning towards a 1-1/2" cutting diameter.

My question is do you think mnt goats hides/bones are tougher then a deer of the same size? Is penetration an issue more so then similar sized game?

I am not asking to debate how fast they will go down, where to hit them etc I am simply asking if they are tougher to push a BH through then other similar sized game (like deer).

Assume all other factors are equal (bow is tuned etc).

I answered this on the bowsite post but thought I would copy/paste here in case some other goat hunters are wondering.

Mtn goats are one of "THE" toughest animals in North America to put on the ground. I've been on over a dozen mtn goat rifle hunts over the years and only 2 of the 12 took 1 shot with rifle to put on the ground. Several took as many as 3 shots!
Mtn goats are built like miniature bison. Their bones are MUCH more massive than deer, hair long, and hide is much, much thicker and tougher to penetrate. In fact, you may want to bring 2 or 3 knives with you when you skin your goat!

Obviously take notice of where your goat is before taking a shot. Goats are noted for taking "death dives off the nearest cliffs and you definitely want to be able to recover your goat...and with horns in-tact!

I would pick your arrow weight and broadhead type that provides the best penetration! Definitely keep into consideration arrow placement without hitting shoulder or leg bones! Also, mature billies have a large hump (vertibrae). You may need to aim a little lower than other game to hit lungs...depending upon the angle.

I think jims covered some good info. I know when I shot my goat with a gun I went with a "break the shoulder shot" for insurance then through another round into the boiler room.

I would agree with nfh that with rifle it is likely a different scenerio. I would highly recommend a 30 caliber. Depending upon the angle...shot placement possibly through the front shoulders to anchor him. Jack in another shell and be ready!

I was on a mtn goat hunt a few years ago and a guy used a 270. It took 4 shots before the giant bodied billy was pronounced dead....another goat with a 7 mm took 3 shots! I've never seen a muledeer live through shots mentioned above! Believe me, goats can take punishment!

Don, I shot a mountain goat..a mature billy.. with less k/e than your set up and got a complete pass through. The arrow entered in the crease behind shoulder on a slightly quartering toward me angle going through and flying out into space as goat was on ridgeline. Mt goats are tough but your question was about penetration and I don't think they require a heavier set up than what you would shoot a big bodied muley or whitetail with.

Thanks guys good info.

Dikndirt, I think I have enough energy I am just debating a bigger broadhead to have more cutting diameter but not if I suspect penetration might be an issue, which is what I do think now.

In my opinion goats hide is far thinner than deer hide. the entire head and cape from my big goat weighed 45 lbs. I imagine a full deer skin is far more than than. You have more than enough for a goat. Mine went 30 yards and tipped over, far less then I was expecting from what others have said.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

Look into the crimson talon broaheads. I have harvested many big game with them and nothing has gone further than 40 yards yet. Leaves a nasty hole or I am just one lucky hunter

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom