Mismanagement?

sniper14

I'm new to hunting and as I read on this site it seems like everyone is upset about the management of game in the state they live in. It seems like hunting is always better in another state. Is it the grass is always greener on the other side. Just out of curiosity which state do you feel is the worst managed, and do you live in that state.
Response example
Idaho worst managed yes I live in that state
Just curious

You haven't been to TARDville have you?

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!
What Voltage of Cordless Sawzall are you running & what's your quickest Drive-By at hackin the Horns off of RoadKills?

This Favorite Shhit is getting old already!

Oregon has to be the worst, been in a down hill slide for at least 10-15 years, and tag prices keep going up and up-

Utah! I've got to give you guys some credit. :)

You can usually tell a Utard...you just can't tell him much.lol

Joey

Thanks for the insult sage!:D

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!
What Voltage of Cordless Sawzall are you running & what's your quickest Drive-By at hackin the Horns off of RoadKills?

I know!

You're just getting even!:D

Or trying to!:D

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

I got a ways to go Bess but i got to try once in awhile.

Hey, i'll put in a second vote in for Oregon. I think we have better all around hunting in Cali then those boys up there have.

Joey

I suppose anyone could do better, but I don't have too many complaints about the hunting and general management in my state (Wyoming).

From an outsiders perspective, I would have to say Oregon has to be right close to the worst. California doesn't seem much better to me either. Utah is not very far from the worst. Utah's only good management came with the growing of the trophy elk herd, which is going the wrong way now.

The best, in my limited opinion are:

Wyoming, Arizona and New Mexico. Each one has their pluses and minuses. I really don't have a negative or positive opinion on Colorado, Nevada and Montana...

If you spend much time on these forums you'd get the impression the sky is falling :)

The pretense for your question is false to begin with. It should be where are things going well for hunting a given species.

In reality, western wildlife is fairing reasonably well. Elk are doing as well as ever and mule deer are about 30% off their modern history peak levels. Predators are at or near all time peak levels. Once in life time species like goats, sheep and moose are also doing as well as ever nearly accross the board.

The recent delcline in mule deer populations is pretty predictable considering the increase in predators, poor weather and increased human activity across their habitat.

Game managers are in a no win situation with this crowd and I wouldn't want to trade for their job at any pay level :)

Cheers,
Pete

THE WORST....#1 IDAHO...#2 OREGON #3 CALI #4 UTAH #5 MONTANA IS GAINING GROUND W/THE COST OF MARGINAL TAGS. I AVOID MOST OF THESE STATES DRAWS.........YD.

Well said Pete (c3)

I think the F&G depts are in a tight spot. Everyone of us want mucho animals with little cost and no competition. It's always tough to make everyone happy.

There are some bright spots around but you'll have to hunt for them. There are also some challenges ahead. We'll have to see if the changes make a difference.

Zeke

I think its very difficult to make both types of hunters happy, that being opportunists (quantity) and trophy (quality)hunters. Most states seem to get atleast one of the two accomplished. But california cant do either. I live in CA.

WA manages for fish. WA hunting is hit or miss and they change tag numbers and weapon types on a whim. WA moved up the application date for the multi-season deer and elk tags a few years ago and did not bother to send out any announcements. The info was on the website if you drilled down a few pages...nothing listed about the date change on the home page. Yep, and there are now wolves.

OR manages for opportunity with zero trophy units (unless is by accident per their own words) so OR has no issue sending 500 antlerless or spike hunters into a good elk unit a week or 2 before the bull elk hunt that takes 16 years of applying to draw. The timber industry is not able to cut much timber these days so not many grassy clearings for elk to use that then evolve into brushy patches for deer. So habitat is way down. Hunting bear and cougar with dogs got outlawed then coyotes learned to steal from cougars so predation is way up. Yep, and there are now wolves.

AND WITH ALL THE DIFFERENT FACTORS OF HUNTING BEING ON THE DECLINE/ LICENSE SALES BEING DOWN.........I DO NOT SEE LESS HUNTERS IN THE FIELD OR APPLYING FOR TAGS. IF THAT WAS THE CASE WE COULD NORMALLY DRAW THE TAGS WE WANT IN A RESONABLE TIME FRAME..........NOT THE CASE..............YD.

Hands down it's Washington. One week general season is a joke. Atleast it's 3 point or better on the Eastside. It just crams everyone into an area instead of spacing it out over a month. And the fact landowners don't have to post their land making the hunter responsible to know where the boundries are by GPS and map?? Rediculous...I will spend my money elsewhere....

++1 to C3
I have hunted in the West for 4+ decades and with the exception of mule deer, all species are in much better shape.
You can't please everyone all the time! That is especially true on this forum. IMHO

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom