Middle Fork Zone for Elk

M

MarshallBill5

This is my first year living and hunting in Idaho. Have heard this is a decent general season tag to get. I was just wondering about access in this zone particularly the area around Yellow Pine. I am just looking for something to fill the freezer this year as most of my time has been spent scouting and looking for deer for my Nevada Muzzleloader tag, and helping my hunting buddy scout for his Nevada Elk tag. I have been into back pack hunting for the last several years so putting miles on to get somewhere and then putting multiple trips to get an animal out is not an issue. That type of hunting is what I would like to do here in Idaho. This area is just something that some guys I work with mentioned. Been looking at it here and there and was just wondering what people on here thought about it.

That "B" tag has some of the best general seasons in the state. You get to hunt the rut with a rifle from Sep 15 - 30th and it re opens again from November 1st - around the 20th I think. I wouldn't bother with that tag this year though, you already missed the rut and your pre hunt scouting now wouldnt help you much for a November hunt this Fall.

With that being said, it's extremely tough hunting. I hunted out of Big Creek 3 fall's ago in units 20A and 26. We saw a few cows after a week for doing 6 miles a day. That's a gnarly 6 miles. It is HUGE country. Much bigger than anything that I've hiked in units 39, 32 and the sawtooth zone, and I've done my fair share of backpacking around this state. You hike up to one bluff, bugle, and if you don't get a response your looking at a couple hours hike to get to another bluff or drainage to bugle again. By that time your morning is over.

Although, the % of bulls killed that are 6 points according to the f and g site is one of the best in the state, that number is kind of skewed. The middle fork has a ton of outfitters that pack in with stock really deep. Get the tag next year and scout all summer, if you can't scout, don't even bother getting the tag, unless you can get someone to point you towards a tried and true spot.

Awesome. Thanks for the input. I have not had much time to do any scouting in Idaho as I had a muzzleloader deer tag in Nevada, and like I said this is my first year as an Idaho resident. Just looking at maps and trying to get into the rough rugged stuff that scares most people away. Thanks again for your help.

Great post twsnow18.

"Trying to get into the rough stuff" sounds noble and like great strategy, but anyone who takes an elk in there backpacking without a band of Sherpa is nuts, no disrespect intended.
Even with the few access areas it's 6-7 miles to potential elk country with several thousand in elevation gain.
It's 100-105 everyday and nosebleed high country--water can be a scarce. Getting meat out in September without spoilage will be a real challenge.
Without pack stock it's nuts imho.

I just returned from there (not for elk) and I speak from experience...

Mark me up as one of those "nuts". I went in 03 and the elk always seemed on edge. Got mine 5 miles back in and got it out myself. It only took 2 days and it didn't spoil. It did snow a little, I'm sure that helped. I've been back, but the elk are way on edge because of the wolves. It's as hard to hunt as an area that has hunting pressure from other people, maybe harder. Just don't forget your wolf tags. In that area, if you do see a wolf and not shoot at it, I wouldn't be telling anyone.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

I figured the wolves would have them pushed all over. I have a wolf tag and would love to use it.

well then that september would be an exception... obviously meat spoilage wouldn't be an issue if it's cold enough to snow. in recent years we couldn't buy a snow storm in october, much less september

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom